Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a beer fermented with Sigmund Voss (if I recall correctly) sent to me a while ago by @Zephyr259 . Planning to culture the dregs up to brew next weekend. Anyone got any experience of doing so? Wondering if fewer steps / smaller starter is the way to go? Cheers
Finally getting round to drinking it. :-) Curious what you think of it.

Kveik is such a beast that I'd probably just pitch the dregs into a 500 ml starter at 1.40, that's what I've done with my 2 ml samples I've bought and they take off like a rocket. This one has been sitting under an 8% beer for about a year now though...

I have a beer fermented with Sigmund Voss (if I recall correctly) sent to me a while ago by @Zephyr259 . Planning to culture the dregs up to brew next weekend. Anyone got any experience of doing so? Wondering if fewer steps / smaller starter is the way to go? Cheers

What I have done in the past is pour a little wort into the bottle containing the dregs. Say a third full and cover with foil. Decant and step up to a liter in a flask then repeat with 2l of wort. 1040 will do the trick.

Finally getting round to drinking it. :-) Curious what you think of it.

Kveik is such a beast that I'd probably just pitch the dregs into a 500 ml starter at 1.40, that's what I've done with my 2 ml samples I've bought and they take off like a rocket. This one has been sitting under an 8% beer for about a year now though...
Hmmmm, think I'll take a 2 stepped approach. If time doesn't get away from me I'll do it tonight. Will pm you my thoughts on the old ale for sure athumb..

What I have done in the past is pour a little wort into the bottle containing the dregs. Say a third full and cover with foil. Decant and step up to a liter in a flask then repeat with 2l of wort. 1040 will do the trick.
Sounds like a plan, cheers athumb..

Hi folks,

Kveik noobie. Got given some by a bloke in a pub (Norwich Amateur Brewers - thanks Keith).

So, American Wheat Beer (Citra) is in the fridge at 30C chugging away after pitching 1 teaspoon of slurry 7 hours ago!

I've got a question, now I'm sure that it will have been covered somewhere in the last 34 pages...but help me out here folks.

The question: Dry hopping. When and what temp.

My instinct is to
- leave it to day 3 (when the fermentation should be about finished),
- reduce the temperature top 18C
- add the Citra dry hop for 2 days
- cold crash for 2 days at 5C then keg.

Any comments

Thanks

MArtin

Dry hopping at 35c gave less than desirable results so now I drop it to 14c hold 2 days then crash. Consider dry hopping the keg as well if you can wait an extra week and have a dry hop tube.

I brought the pH down with acid malt in the mash, I pretty much made this recipe https://byo.com/article/gose/. Coming to think of it, low pH can be bad for yeast as well. Last time I kettle soured my yeast took month to ferment and the end product was terrible. Although that was because I was kettle souring with wild yeast and didn't properly sanitise.

Did you add the acid malt at the start? Apparently you should wait until conversion is complete before adding it then leave another hour.

How does it taste?
From what I've had from the FV, there is a slight sourness which is quite subtle, there are other flavours going on at the moment which are far more powerful though. Once I bottle this I'll let you know.

From what I've had from the FV, there is a slight sourness which is quite subtle, there are other flavours going on at the moment which are far more powerful though. Once I bottle this I'll let you know.
Is that to style? I have never had one so really interested. The dual pitch i did with sourpitch is only slightly sour.

Is that to style? I have never had one so really interested. The dual pitch i did with sourpitch is only slightly sour.
A gose is traditionally an easy drinking beer with subtle flavours, and only once or twice I've had a "traditional" gose, a lot of the craft breweries are making salty sour beers, or a [insert tropical fruit here] gose where the fruit is 99% of the flavour. Reading the BJCP guidelines for it they do keep mentioning flavours are "restrained" and "low to moderate". I'm trying to brew to style.

The recipe that I'm following is from BYO and I found a video of a guy who brewed it successfully.

Currently fermenting a very simple pale ale with Voss (cheers entertheflagon). Everything I've read suggests Voss doesn't develop much krausen, but this definitely has and it was still there this morning 48 hours after pitch. Can't imagine it's not done or very nearly done as it was only 1.042 SG - planning to keg it tonight. Anyone else seen this with Voss?

kviek yeast has got me excited, I struggle to get my wort down to standard pitching temps - that last 10cs are a real ball ache! so pitching around 30c is a major plus, I am thinking my next batch to do an american wit/wheat style beer (similar to a blue moon) but i dont want to use any extras like orange peel. looked into Ranger strain and it imparts dominant orange peel. Probably would work right? with using amarillo and manderian braviera hops.
Would you use a full packet of kviek. I read somewhere else that voss strains of kviek you need alot of headspace and to use 1/2 a packet for 5gal(21l) what would i store the other 1/2 of the packet in?

All going well I should have some Voss kviek on its way soon thanks to Dan . Is this yeast limited to any style or can it be used on anything from neipa to stout

All going well I should have some Voss kviek on its way soon thanks to Dan . Is this yeast limited to any style or can it be used on anything from neipa to stout
I've used it in an english pale ale, bourbon stout, old ale and a california common, the first 3 were 35 - 40c, the common was at 25c. I don't get the orange but I do get an earthy spice character. I've been reducing my pitch rate in each brew, the common got a vial i had spare which was 15 ml of slurry which had compacted to 2.5 ml of thick slurry. Took off after 8 hrs and finished in 2 - 3 days, even at the lower temp.

I've only used it a couple of relatively tamely hopped pales. I defo get some orange out of it, but do think it mutes the hops a bit.
The beer I'm sending is made with the same yeast, so should give you a good idea of the character to expect.
acheers.

I've only used it a couple of relatively tamely hopped pales. I defo get some orange out of it, but do think it mutes the hops a bit.
The beer I'm sending is made with the same yeast, so should give you a good idea of the character to expect.
acheers.
I may look at trying it first on a nice Irish red ale or an American amber :thumba:

Latest posts

Back