Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking this at the moment and very nice it is too. Super easy, super fast.

no boil mash at 65c, 75c
27l batch in FV
4.5kg minch pale
500g uk wheat
150g acid malt

15g of 11.7AA hops (forgotten either centennial or simcoe) boiled in 1l water for 30m
50g of centennial and 50g simcoe steeped at 75c for 20m

Fermented at 30c
After 2 days Let the temp drop to 20c and dry hopped with 25g of centennial and 25g simcoe
Day 5 cold crashed
Day 6 kegged and force carbed
Day 7 drinking

Drinking this at the moment and very nice it is too. Super easy, super fast.

no boil mash at 65c, 75c
27l batch in FV
4.5kg minch pale
500g uk wheat
150g acid malt

15g of 11.7AA hops (forgotten either centennial or simcoe) boiled in 1l water for 30m
50g of centennial and 50g simcoe steeped at 75c for 20m

Fermented at 30c
After 2 days Let the temp drop to 20c and dry hopped with 25g of centennial and 25g simcoe
Day 5 cold crashed
Day 6 kegged and force carbed
Day 7 drinking

gotta love a brew with a quick turnaround time. athumb.. I have a saison on the go in comparison. might be drinkable late september? :(

Has anyone tried dehydrating the slurry by spreading it on parchment then putting it in an airtight tin with silica gel? Does silica absorb enough moisture for this to work?
With small children I’m reluctant to leave the oven on overnight and I don’t own a dehydrator.

Has anyone tried dehydrating the slurry by spreading it on parchment then putting it in an airtight tin with silica gel? Does silica absorb enough moisture for this to work?
With small children I’m reluctant to leave the oven on overnight and I don’t own a dehydrator.
Do you own an airing cupboard over a hot water tank?

gotta love a brew with a quick turnaround time. athumb.. I have a saison on the go in comparison. might be drinkable late september? :(

Yes it's fast and tastes great. Everyone should try kveik. Wish I came across this when I started.
you could pitch some lacto with the yeast and do a 1 week sour. Nothing like your face off though! That's s going into a demijohn soon.

Nope, combi boiler in a kitchen cupboard. No water tank at all.
You'll have to lock your kids up in the cellar for a bit and dry it on a radiator I guess.
In this weather it'll dry outside pretty quick, just keep the flies away.
Or a light bulb in a kitchen cupboard might even do.

I have a American wheat beer mashing at the min which I plan fermenting with kviek. I plan an underpitch to try and get as much out flavours out of the yeast. What's the max temp I can pitch at. 35-40 ?

I have a American wheat beer mashing at the min which I plan fermenting with kviek. I plan an underpitch to try and get as much out flavours out of the yeast. What's the max temp I can pitch at. 35-40 ?

What type? Here is a list of strains and some info on pitching temps? garshol.priv.no/download/farmhouse/kveik.html

@BeerCat very kindly sent me some kviek samples. Last night I made a starter and pitched the sample vial before going to bed. This morning I come down to this:
A2j1QIMViGaDM1H-xIkuFGHVz_2I5xo73ZTs2VSLmolunQpueDay-b_cGKz_gY56gSUyB3T0974lAOspDGxJawo9fTFtMEVQXzzVlcDQwlpTRWrWixMh1BEWUqj6yBEVPis1ZMQJ8sgpw_GuxcCJHLqDAxxAc-gh6KHptNct0mnDCgD2PkyPY9JHwFOo1Y-MJggD7CjuGOUaPKtqagXM3acSGluyoT0nb-pvOSsHHV54h3PVGS3v0ct7HtO4Dr4NLUxfPg88tdxpZkBorlX8ULRjWt2XWYxYHkeoYJyAV_VaefSTkEW5ur_mIwnVKb8Qel9AnGKzvOhuMyG9dIpAAfpsUaU9pibeuHigUH2BGQ9z6RnmjVqZXbP51D9pfMxScXOFc0tpcZtmNoxKv1Ymafc55CEQsmDTkaD5Ue-L2A8tDERDC8nNPCpAtj9S8U8kC3ua4bQ8XuizMF0BuvpZZUsk7D1MkZLelmxqeIDCPdxe5G2tT67cyNjDA0irTp4BHt6LDojTktaNeWcDQnQabdMqiYmB11KlntCrPZNjYfXoSYju4k2ERGH24jnAulWe5KNi3ggO__if-dY47N2x4G7J1Rxqg8tMmWE9PjNyZvfuq_cdgMCHJifxbVbqfB8eVIHQy-sZJdrFQA0-7-LuxlHn=w462-h977-no

It's very well aerated at least. It looks like there is a krousen ring in there (the brown line). As more bubbles develop the krousen line isn't being replenished which makes me think it's finished, along with the starter being very cloudy too. If all goes well I might brew tomorrow, or I may have misunderstood what's going on in my Erlenmeyer flask :laugh8:

I pitched this morning at 36 degrees. No starter just emptied the slurry sample straight in. It's a lower than usual abv beer. It should be around 4 %. I will report back on how it goes

How are people harvesting the yeast. Top cropping or slurry. Is it good enough to store the slurry in the fridge in an air tight container with a bit of preboiled water

How are people harvesting the yeast. Top cropping or slurry. Is it good enough to store the slurry in the fridge in an air tight container with a bit of preboiled water
The Voss is a bottom cropping yeast. I normally pour all the slurry into a 2l bottle or anything i have available and store in the fridge. Never bothered with water. If i dry hop i normally ditch the yeast and use it from a starter.

edit: According to the kveik registry VOSS is a bottom cropping yeast and not top.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back