Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Voss is a top cropping yeast but you need to do it fast before the krausen disappears. I normally pour all the slurry into a 2l bottle or anything i have available and store in the fridge. Never bothered with water. If i dry hop i normally ditch the yeast and use it from a starter.

What happens if you bottom crop well after fermentation has finished?

The Voss is a top cropping yeast but you need to do it fast before the krausen disappears. I normally pour all the slurry into a 2l bottle or anything i have available and store in the fridge. Never bothered with water. If i dry hop i normally ditch the yeast and use it from a starter.
The Voss, according to the registry is a bottom cropper usually?

I brewed yesterday with the starter from my previous post (Hornindal) and pitched around 4pm. By 10 fermentation was in full swing, this morning it looks like high krausen has been and gone. Really excited about this!

Here's my recipe:

FV vol: 23l
OG: 1.054

4.5kg pale malt
500g carapils

15g Polaris @60

30g centennial @ 5
30g cascade @5
15g fuggles @5

30g centennial @Fo
30g cascade @fo
15g fuggles @fo

500ml starter of Hornindal grown from about a bottle's worth of yeast.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

I have some Voss as well which I'm gonna use for a brown ale.

You are right. I have top cropped it before but it does say bottom on the registry. My mistake will edit my post.
I also top cropped once but rejected it as it smelt and behaved weird for Voss, obviously biased towards a particular strain I thought. Now just bottom crop and wash.

I wish I had any left of my last one. It was f. ing gorgeous. This one I'm not so sure about yet. It's 7,2%. I call it Kveika Jævel, roughly translated Kveik *******
20190726_184623_0000.png

How long does Kveik take to ferment at room temperature? The yeast I pitched on Monday is still going, but I think the beer never got too warm and now is definitely at room temp.

How long does Kveik take to ferment at room temperature? The yeast I pitched on Monday is still going, but I think the beer never got too warm and now is definitely at room temp.
I reckon it'll depend on OG and type of Kveik. I've had a strong beer ferment for 10 days at cool room temps.
Never found just how long that piece of string was.

I reckon it'll depend on OG and type of Kveik. I've had a strong beer ferment for 10 days at cool room temps.
Never found just how long that piece of string was.
It's hornindal at 1054. Room temp probably goes from 18 to 24. I wrapped it in a jumper but don't think that's done much

It's hornindal at 1054. Room temp probably goes from 18 to 24. I wrapped it in a jumper but don't think that's done much
Hornidal sometimes gets used as a lager type at lower temps. but 1054 seems low gravity, should be done in a week given enough oxygen and nutrient at around 20 deg in my experience, should be tasting dry enough now?

Hornidal sometimes gets used as a lager type at lower temps. but 1054 seems low gravity, should be done in a week given enough oxygen and nutrient at around 20 deg in my experience, should be tasting dry enough now?
Not tried any yet, will give it a sample tonight. Do these yeasts perform better at higher gravities?

I just took a gravity reading, it's at 1.034! I'm gonna take out a pale ale from my fermentation fridge and stick this in, crank the heat way up and see what happens.

I'm currently using the 'farm' version of FY#1 Gjernes (aka Voss).

I pitched it on Tues after cooling to 33C and left it to ferment at room temp. Today, 3 days later, it's gone from 1.055 to 1.010. It is a mental strain!

I'm currently using the 'farm' version of FY#1 Gjernes (aka Voss).

I pitched it on Tues after cooling to 33C and left it to ferment at room temp. Today, 3 days later, it's gone from 1.055 to 1.010. It is a mental strain!
Did you aerate the wort? How much yeast did you pitch? Did you use nutrients?

I just took a gravity reading, it's at 1.034! I'm gonna take out a pale ale from my fermentation fridge and stick this in, crank the heat way up and see what happens.
How annoying. I would give it a stir as as seems to floc fast. Only used it once though and held it at 30c constantly. I use a cheap chinese heat belt and a voltage controller to reduce the power a bit as they get pretty hot. I always use wyeast nutrients and have only had a stuck fermentation when making imperial stouts.

Did you aerate the wort? How much yeast did you pitch? Did you use nutrients?
Aeration was just through an elevated pour into the fermenter via a sanitised funnel

I pitched probably just over a tsp I reckon

I had a tub of wine nutrients, added half a tsp of that and half a tsp of baker's yeast during the boil. Not sure if either additions are going to be of any use at all though!

Back