Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wont that reduce the whisky flavour though?

Also how much do i need per 10l. I have 100g so was thinking a gram a liter.
Oops. Ignore me, I only took in half yr comment. Apologies! I was working on the assumption that you were using untainted oak cubes & were going to manually add whisky flavour yrself!

Just checked Tonsmeire again & he reckons 1.5 g/l for "mild oak flavour in a long aged sour beer"

Boil them in a pan for a few minutes. Like heating baked beans, the microwave is just quicker and easier.

The spirit in the wood should be enough to stop any spoilage organisms surviving in the wood.

Last edited:
Here we go. 15day old RIS in the glass. Obviously not full as i had already drunk some just as well as was kicked over 10m later. Lightly carbed, very thick mouthfeel, fruity, almost getting some tobacco notes as well. Its bitter but not overly and it fairly well balanced with the sweetness of the malts. I think what gave me a high FG was lack of oxygen. I forgot to shake the thing. No trace of yeast in aroma or the beer itself. Smells like a mature beer and its not meant to be ready for 2 weeks.
030.JPG

Just bottled the oaked RIS and have to say its very oaky. Surprised really as the wines i have done with the same amount were not very prominent. I noticed the elderberry wine i oaked faded in a few weeks so is it likely to be the same for a beer? I am honestly amazed at how this tastes after just over 2 weeks though. I remember the high alcohol beers i have made before tasted rough as at this age. Very fumy when i opened the FV.
Going to brew version 2 one night this week and intend to add the whisky soaked whisky barrel chunk during fermentation. I might err on the side of caution and add one at a time and oxygenate the wort as much as my arms can take.

Hmm... that's me back from holiday and my yeast has still not appeared. Given others have received it I'm guessing lost in the mail rather than a scam.

Dropped him a facebook message and apparently the mail system is being daft. Took then 2 weeks to deliver to Oslo which is 8 hours away. He's re-sending today.

Last edited:
The first brew on this thread has not carbed at all. Perhaps i killed the yeast but its as flat as a pancake and undrinkable. The first time this has happened.
I bottled the raw stout last night after 10 days. Did not have the time before that. Its clear, yeast flocced really well and tastes great. I would never know its a raw beer. I think the next kveik beer after RIS Mk2 is going to be with a ton of citra.

I have just heard you need to under pitch to get the ornage and citrus flavours.

I’ve read that as well. It’s so counter intuitive to do it but I think it’s gotta be worth a punt. Particularly if it does give you those citrus orange esters.

Maybe I might test it on a small batch with a low cost hop bill.

Anyone tell I’m struggling to bring myself to under pitch on purpose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’ve read that as well. It’s so counter intuitive to do it but I think it’s gotta be worth a punt. Particularly if it does give you those citrus orange esters.

Maybe I might test it on a small batch with a low cost hop bill.

Anyone tell I’m struggling to bring myself to under pitch on purpose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same problem. Seems weird to underpitch. Probably overpitched all my wheat beers now i think about it.
Going to try a citra hopburst pale ale next batch( after RIS mk2) more than likely. 45% pale male, 45% extra pale and some crystal and amber.
I like doing small batches but i have regretted it a few times.

RIS Mk2 on the go tonight chilling outside. OG 1109. Ended up adding another 500g of base malt to up the ABV. Hoping goping to get at leaast 10% from this. I added a vanilla pod and its having 3 whisky soaked cubes going in and maybe the whisky afterwards if its not strong enough. I think this might not be as dark as the last one due to the golden syrup i added although that was really dark red. Got a reasonable amount of yeast to pitch so high hops for this.

Found out from my wife last night that the second posting of my kveik yeast arrived. Now to work out what to brew with it first. You've been finding this strain pretty clean thus far, is that right @BeerCat ?

Also how are you re-using your yeast? Keeping the slurry post-fermentation then pitching some of that?

Last edited:
Good news. Yes i keep the slurry and reuse that. I have not tried drying it yet as i have never washed yeast. Perhaps it does not matter. I cant tell you what to brew but i can tell you what has not worked for me and that is low IBU beers. Although its traditional i dont have access to juniper which must make a massive difference. Also they are normally higher ABV and are boiled for a long time.
I will try something hoppy next time. Its hard to tell the yeast profile from a RIS to be honest but it does seem clean. The raw stout tastes rather grainy so i wont be making any more raw beers for a while. Give it another try in a few weeks.
RIS mk2 is fermenting away nicely with an OG of 1109. I just pitched some slurry into that. Did not make a starter.

Good news. Yes i keep the slurry and reuse that. I have not tried drying it yet as i have never washed yeast. Perhaps it does not matter. I cant tell you what to brew but i can tell you what has not worked for me and that is low IBU beers. Although its traditional i dont have access to juniper which must make a massive difference. Also they are normally higher ABV and are boiled for a long time.
I will try something hoppy next time. Its hard to tell the yeast profile from a RIS to be honest but it does seem clean. The raw stout tastes rather grainy so i wont be making any more raw beers for a while. Give it another try in a few weeks.
RIS mk2 is fermenting away nicely with an OG of 1109. I just pitched some slurry into that. Did not make a starter.
Thanks for the info. I'm used to overbuilding starters and keeping part for the next batch, i was going to try the method of scavenging wort from the top of the fermenter but not sure how that will work with the kveik yeast working so quickly.

What do you class as low IBU? I'm thinking of trying a 30 IBU bitter or maybe see what it does in an Robinson's Old Tom style beer, should make the latter drinkable a lot sooner than otherwise.

I brewed my blonde kveik yesterday. Pitched at 32c and been ramping up to as close to 40c as I can manage. Looks like my heat mat is struggling beyond 37c ish. Pitched just about 24hrs ago and I'm not sure it's started yet. There's krausen marks on the fv but that could be from the foam after aerating, also the airlock's not moved. First time using this fv though so it could easily be leaking and it would still early to worry for a normal yeast. If nothing's happening later today I'll have a look inside and see what it looks like, can check gravity with my refractometer too.

Yeah, was recommended to do half to 1 litre. I did a litre, saved 300 - 400 mls and pitched the rest. It wasn't the most active starter ever (but I'm used to crazy top croppers) but it did build cells and there's a decent layer on the saved portion.

The photo below is 4 hours after pitching a large decanted starter. I went to top crop some yeast and after only 12hours and the krausen had almost gone. Only managed to get a few spoonfuls. I changed the airlock and it's still bubbling away so I threw in the first dry hop. This beer is a NEIPA with amarillo, Chinnok and citra.
DSC_0327.JPG

Wow! That's a bit enthusiastic. While I was out it occurred to me that it smelled like it had been fermenting, my wife confirmed this when I got home as she can smell brews when the fridge is still shut. The temp had been over 37c last night and it's fallen to 35 ish today so I think the yeast were boosting the temp and it just fermented out overnight in secret. Crazy yeast.

Latest posts

Back