Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night I popped my 10ml vial into a 1l 1.040 starter. Less than 12 h later, there's a thick yeast blanket on the flask floor. About what I'd expect after a few days with a 'normal' yeast. This stuff is mental!

I have just left them in the garage to crash for 24hours its about 5c in there most of the time. So i am going to drop the temp today to 14c add the 2nd dry hop and bottle monday evening. The smell coming out of the FV is very impressive but it should be the amount of hops i threw in there.
Speaking of bourbon stout the whisky bocks i added to RIS2 gave it a lovely subtle flavour. Its a shame it stuck. I should of boiled it and re fermented instead of pouring it away.
Next kveik beer will be a session dry stout with plenty of malted oats.

I made an NEIPA with the yeast kindly supplied by Beercat. Fermented at 37c, it finished pretty quickly, and it's now been in the bottle just shy of a fortnight. Unfortunately, some of the hops I used aren't really pulling their weight, the Mosaic in particular being a bit subdued. The cheeky sample I had still hasn't carbed fully, but was decent nonetheless.

I wonder if its necessary to ferment it so hot if making a hoppy beer. What temp did you dry hop at? I did one addition at 35c (which when i think about it seems more like hop tea) and the next will be at 14c. Michael Tonsmere recommends only using 2 hop types but i ended up using 3 with this as didn't have enough. Judging by the FV it looks to be clear already after 4 days which is weird as its meant be be a hazy beer. Will have a taste when i add the next dry hop.
My first beer on this thread failed to carbonate. Not sure why but perhaps cold crashing does not help this yeast? Traditionally i think they bottled it after 3 days without sugar.

I dry hopped at 20c. Mine turned out hazy ( I used a kilo of flaked wheat and a little flaked oats ). I knew before brewing this that my 2016 Mosaic weren't anything special, as I'd done a poor APA with 100g beforehand, replicating a recipe I'd done last year with 100g of 2012 Mosaic leaf, whch turned out well. It's hard to tell with such a 'soupy' looking beer, but I think this yeast is super flocculant, so maybe it takes longer to carb with the small amount of yeast which makes it to the bottle.

Next up I'll brew something along the Tony Yates Kveik, to allow better assessment of the yeast.

I haven’t got round to brewing with my kveik sample that @BeerCat sent me. I think I might have to start working on the recipe now to be ready and to get the most out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So i had a taste last night before the 2nd dry hop and was not as hoppy as i expected but it was rater tasty. I split the batch and have another fv on the go with different hops and london ale3. That one still had a massive krausen on it but it is fermenting at half the temperature. Hopefully this will remain hazy as i put raw wheat in as well as oats/wheat. Just hoping it does not oxidise.

Bottled the NEIPA and it has very little aroma despite dry hopping twice with 150g in total for 8l. I can understand not getting much from the first hop but the second was done at 14c. It tastes good though and no hint of any yeastiness. Fairly confident its going to be a drinkable beer in a weeks time.

Finally got round to brewing with kveik.
Brewed an APA/IPA based on the recipe here (http://brewgr.com/recipe/50248/trop...ian-farmhouse-american-ipa-recipe?public=true)

Brewday went reasonable enough. Deliberately under-pitched from my vial of Gjernes Kveik* and popped in an FV sat on a heat pad with a heat belt wrapped around. Both plugged into my Inkbird dialled into 35^C. Currently struggling to get above 27^C though!

12 hours in, already a decent looking krausen

*had a taste of the starter wort and it's great: really earthy/orangey

:EDIT: ~24 h in and it's at a steady 34^C that I set on the Inkbird :)

Last edited:
Beer no1 has conditioned into something quite drinkable. A cross between a pale ale and a bitter. Some noticeable esters i cant really describe from memory. Beer had carbed perfectly so i guess i was being impatient. Will try another at the weekend.

Finally got round to brewing with kveik.
Brewed an APA/IPA based on the recipe here (http://brewgr.com/recipe/50248/trop...ian-farmhouse-american-ipa-recipe?public=true)

Brewday went reasonable enough. Deliberately under-pitched from my vial of Gjernes Kveik* and popped in an FV sat on a heat pad with a heat belt wrapped around. Both plugged into my Inkbird dialled into 35^C. Currently struggling to get above 27^C though!

12 hours in, already a decent looking krausen

*had a taste of the starter wort and it's great: really earthy/orangey

:EDIT: ~24 h in and it's at a steady 34^C that I set on the Inkbird :)

Have you had a taste yet? What temp are you going to dry hop at?

Have you had a taste yet? What temp are you going to dry hop at?
Not yet. Going to check gravity this eve I reckon, so will sample then. Don't have much in the way of temp control, but will try to get it as close to ~20^C as possible for DHing

Beer no1 has conditioned into something quite drinkable. A cross between a pale ale and a bitter. Some noticeable esters i cant really describe from memory. Beer had carbed perfectly so i guess i was being impatient. Will try another at the weekend.
That's good to hear, my golden ale carbed up really quickly but the stout is taking its time.

Latest posts

Back