Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a gravity check: from 1.054 to 1.009 in 4 days. Had a taste. Tasted 'OK'. Would probably be more palatable if I wasn't sipping the liquid at about 30 degrees C :confused:
Plenty of fruity flavours in there though.

Bottled last night. Recipe was a hoppy IPA, which I'm going to call a Pale Ale given the minimal bitterness but very fruity flavour. The orange from the kveik really compliments the fruit from the Mosaic, Citra and Mandarina Bavaria.

Looking forward to opening one of these once it's carbed and cooled!

Filled a 5l Tesco water bottle with the dregs to keep some for a future brew (though I've little experience with yeast reclaim...)

Kveik RIS no3 is on the go. It looks as black as hell. OG was 1105 so really hope this attenuates well. I made a massive starter and the airlock was moving literally after 15m. I used a large FV for it which is just as well. Fermentation slowed a lot after 36 hours. Fermented at 33c. I have some whiskey barrel chunks soaked in a single malt i will be adding to iot tonight after i take a sample. If this gets stuck at something ridiculous again i am going to have to cut back on the dark malts. I wont post the recipe as i had about 15 different grains in it. 6 types of roast, 4 adjuncts, oat malt, golden syrup.

Just done a gravity check and 72 hours from pitching its down to 1024 making it 10.63%. Not bad for 3 days. Smells complex, lots of roastiness, no yeast. The sample has no hint of alcohol in fact its very drinkable as it is flat and 34c. Normally i would retch drinking a strong beer warm. I am slightly concerned it is not bitter enough so going to be boiling up some more challenger and possible do a steep. Added some chunks and a vanilla pod i found.

Glad it seems to be going well. That's one big stout, vanilla and oak should go nicely. What IBUs did you intend it to have?

Glad it seems to be going well. That's one big stout, vanilla and oak should go nicely. What IBUs did you intend it to have?

I checked my notes and it was meant to be 70IBU. I misread and added 20g of challenger at the start instead of 28g . Fixable though so i am well chuffed. I think the massive starter helped with the attenuation this time as well. I am not sure how much effect the oak will have. I tasted the whiskey they were soaked in and it was not very oaky which after the last batch is a good thing. Tasted like eating a chair leg.

Haha, yeah I've yet to experiment with the oak chips I have but I hear it's easily overdone. I use the brew united pitching calculator for my starters and went with the usual 0.75 Millon cells/ml/P for an ale. Mind you my stout was only 1.072 OG so you're quite a bit bigger.

Haha, yeah I've yet to experiment with the oak chips I have but I hear it's easily overdone. I use the brew united pitching calculator for my starters and went with the usual 0.75 Millon cells/ml/P for an ale. Mind you my stout was only 1.072 OG so you're quite a bit bigger.

I have no idea how to use one. To be honest i have no idea how to calculate how many cells are in my samples. I just make sure i have large starters. I see you are conditioning a BW. I might do a small batch of that with the kveik as well.

The spreadsheet I use boils down to a starter growing 1.4 billion cells per gram of DME used in a stirred starter. I don't know how many were in the original vial so I just assumed there wasn't any and continued my numbers from there. Google homebrew dad yeast starter calculator and it has instructions which are easy enough to follow. Also gives options for shaker starters and a part to calculate how much yeast you need.

I think the kveik could do well in a barleywine. I'm going to be testing that out in the next month or two with a barleywine/old ale, then I'm going to age part of it in a 3 gal carboy with Brett C.

I was given this sample which I'm growing up as a starter as we speak

FY 43: Opshaug

Owner
Harald Opshaug

Collected by
Lars Marius Garshol

Place
Strandadalen

Pitch
23.5°C

Attenuation
83 %

Can be dried
Y

Harvest

Provenance: He got it from Oddmund Teigen, in the Stranda valley toward Hellesylt in the mid-90s. He doesn't know where Teigen got it from

Apparently it's very fruity.

Cool, does it also ferment in 3 days?
That I'm unsure on, I'm in the process of growing the starter. It's a bit slow as they have been dormant for a little while.

Hopefully can start farming these little awesome things, and if possible attempt to ship samples.

Awesome, look forward to hearing how it turns out! This Voss is just about done in 36 hours with a good pitch so i wouldn't be surprised if yours is done in 3 days. Apparently they are going to be commercially available soon but not sure when. I can send you some if you want any. Going to try fermenting cooler next time just because i want to dry hop during fermentation as its a NEIPA. Mitbust and Hornindal are on my to try list.

that sounds like a plan to me. Once I have this yeast starter going at full volume, I will happily send some vials out to those in the UK.
So far it's very fast, i have a good deposit of yeast at the bottom!

Quick update,
Finally got one of my yeast starters pitched and the thing went off like a rocket in 6 hours.

Took a sample from my starter of just light DME.
Was very fruity on the nose, very perfume like.
On tasting it was a very nice fruity flavour.

This should make a very interesting golden ale.

Next step is to build up more yeast starters, awaiting my vials and providing I can get good samples hopefully arrange shipment of samples.

that sounds like a plan to me. Once I have this yeast starter going at full volume, I will happily send some vials out to those in the UK

Have you thought about drying it out? From what I've seen, drying seems to be very popular n the kveik community and will be a lot easier to send in the post. Im going to have a go at drying out some Gales yeast later today

Back