Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 2 weeks ago brew Sierra Nevada pale with lellemand kveik - started drinking and it is really nice and clean. Fermented at around 33 degrees - if finished in less than 3 days from 1.049 to 1.008. 24h after starting fermentation collected some yeast from krauzen - tried to do same 48h and nothing on the top. Putted in secondary or another 48h and kegged. Brilliant yeast, defo will use in summer hot months

About 2 weeks ago brew Sierra Nevada pale with lellemand kveik - started drinking and it is really nice and clean. Fermented at around 33 degrees - if finished in less than 3 days from 1.049 to 1.008. 24h after starting fermentation collected some yeast from krauzen - tried to do same 48h and nothing on the top. Putted in secondary or another 48h and kegged. Brilliant yeast, defo will use in summer hot months
I have had mixed results. Great in a stout but it always seems to finish high for me in low gravity beer. This is a first in a high gravity beer. I see people using yeast nutrient I don't use it. I plan pitching at 35

I know this threads been dead for a while, but since I've got nothing else to do I was wondering if anyone has any kveik stains they'd like to give me, preferably cultures.
I have been using ebb and horn isolates recently, and just got hold of some espe culture which I can send a sample of over.

However I should say that I suspect I have a house infection that can turn any beer left out in the air bad very quickly.
I brew in the absence of oxygen though so it never presents for me anymore, but there is a chance that any samples I make might have this ******* in it which potentially could be bad if you can't keep stuff free of O2 easily.

Cheers.

Also anyone used this espe stuff? Descriptions don't exactly sound all that inviting, I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a barley wine or a Scottish dark ale. Possibly bretting half

I put an imperial stout on and pitch Voss kviek. OG was 1.090 this was the 6th of march I just checked again and it's sitting at 1.030. Any suggestions. I don't have temp control so I basically pitched at around 35 and wrapped it up with blankets and let the temp free fall to room temp. Which is around 18. I was hopping to get it down to 1.022 or lower.

I know this threads been dead for a while, but since I've got nothing else to do I was wondering if anyone has any kveik stains they'd like to give me, preferably cultures.
I have been using ebb and horn isolates recently, and just got hold of some espe culture which I can send a sample of over.

However I should say that I suspect I have a house infection that can turn any beer left out in the air bad very quickly.
I brew in the absence of oxygen though so it never presents for me anymore, but there is a chance that any samples I make might have this ******* in it which potentially could be bad if you can't keep stuff free of O2 easily.

Cheers.

Also anyone used this espe stuff? Descriptions don't exactly sound all that inviting, I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a barley wine or a Scottish dark ale. Possibly bretting half

Next time i use some i will DM you. Not been using kveik recently but i need to do some strong beers soon.

What are people getting from Voss kviek regards attenuation. Going to pitch into an imperial stout tomorrow

75 to 80%

I put an imperial stout on and pitch Voss kviek. OG was 1.090 this was the 6th of march I just checked again and it's sitting at 1.030. Any suggestions. I don't have temp control so I basically pitched at around 35 and wrapped it up with blankets and let the temp free fall to room temp. Which is around 18. I was hopping to get it down to 1.022 or lower.

Its possible finished depending on your grainbill. I like to mash mine low now around 62c as i use lots of speciality grains. Its possible to restart with amylase and wine yeast but it might not work or could over attenuate. If its too sweet consider brewing another and blending.

I think I will let it go another week. It dropped two points from last week. Still the odd wee bubble when you open the lid and watch the surface. See how it goes. I don't use recipe calculators so no idea what the fg should be

Next time i use some i will DM you. Not been using kveik recently but i need to do some strong beers soon.
Nice one. I'll send you some free hops I've got buckets of fuggles im too lazy to sell on.

Don't you ever make easy drinking kveik beers. I've made a few lovely pales using ebb and horn

I've made various lower abv kveik beers, pale ale, 80/-, "California" common and a milk stout. I agree they're handy for turning around an everyday drinker really quickly.

Has anyone else found that their kveik beers show an increase in carbonation after a few months? My common and 80/- both did this and my dark mild which I made in September has done the same. Wonder if the multi-strain Voss and Saure have a strain which ferments very slowly or is diastaticus, all these beers have stable FGs when bottled, carb fine in a week or so and remain stable for a few months.

Interestingly, my one beer with a commercial Hornindal hasn't done this.

Wonder if the multi-strain Voss and Saure have a strain which ferments very slowly or is diastaticus, all these beers have stable FGs when bottled, carb fine in a week or so and remain stable for a few months.

I thinks this is exactly the issue. True Kveik strains will have much higher percentages of bacteria and wild yeast in them whereas commercial isolates will have little/negligible amounts.... I would have thought.

I've made various lower abv kveik beers, pale ale, 80/-, "California" common and a milk stout. I agree they're handy for turning around an everyday drinker really quickly.

Has anyone else found that their kveik beers show an increase in carbonation after a few months? My common and 80/- both did this and my dark mild which I made in September has done the same. Wonder if the multi-strain Voss and Saure have a strain which ferments very slowly or is diastaticus, all these beers have stable FGs when bottled, carb fine in a week or so and remain stable for a few months.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me though I'm a kegger and massive drunk so they never last that long...

What are people getting from Voss kviek regards attenuation. Going to pitch into an imperial stout tomorrow
Nice one. I'll send you some free hops I've got buckets of fuggles im too lazy to sell on.

Don't you ever make easy drinking kveik beers. I've made a few lovely pales using ebb and horn

I generally make session strength beers.

Something around 4%. No boil, half wheat and pilsner. Around 75g of hops steeped at 75c and a 20 IBU hop tea and dry hopped. Also good yeast to use for co pitching sours.

Works really well in stouts too. Do you have Voss? I need to dig out my farmhouse yeast and knock some up this weekend. Maniacal yeast Juggernaut is really good as well. What i really need is some vials that don't leak. The ones i have i had to seal with wax, not ideal.

I finally got around to making a stout kit I had laying arourd. I used the new Lallemand dry Kveik yeast. It's a monster. Og was 1060 and its now only 36 hours later its down to 1015. The krausen was at its highest after only 6 hours and is now almost gone. I expect it to go down to about 1012 by tomorrow. I am a bit worried though. The sample from the test jar wasn't really good. Of course there a lot of yeast in there still and I know it isn't finished yet, but theres this liquierish taste there that I didn't like also. Never made an allgrain stout with Kveik before. Should I be worried? What do you guys think?

My fermenting fridge i being used for food cause of corona virus so I just threw the yest in at 38 degrees and put a sweater on my fermentasaurus. Fermented under pressure at 12psi.

I generally make session strength beers.

Something around 4%. No boil, half wheat and pilsner. Around 75g of hops steeped at 75c and a 20 IBU hop tea and dry hopped. Also good yeast to use for co pitching sours.

Works really well in stouts too. Do you have Voss? I need to dig out my farmhouse yeast and knock some up this weekend. Maniacal yeast Juggernaut is really good as well. What i really need is some vials that don't leak. The ones i have i had to seal with wax, not ideal.
I've used Voss isolate, but not the real deal.
Have a nice single hop black ipa with horn and Columbus that works well. Probably would have been better with Voss though

I'm going to bottle a doppelbock soon which has been sitting on WLP Opshaug since November. I wouldn't mind trying to reuse it. Would it be worth making a starter before reusing it?

Want to try this yeast in a simple cascade smash. Couple of questions, how hot do I need to get it. I have one tube heater in my fridge and not sure what the upper limits are. Second, which yeast should I go for in this scenario?

Thanks

I'm going to bottle a doppelbock soon which has been sitting on WLP Opshaug since November. I wouldn't mind trying to reuse it. Would it be worth making a starter before reusing it?
Certainly if you can be bothered, although I've used jars of slurry from older that have taken off within 24hrs.

Latest posts

Back