Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About to make a smash using the Voss strain. How long should it take to bottle condition? Do you need to bottle condition at a high temp as well?

Thanks

No you bottle condition at normal temperature and normally after can package after 1 week. Try a bottle a week later and see how it is. High gravity beers can take a lot longer but will carb eventually. 10%+

Are you buying the Lallemond dried or getting liquid? If its the dried David Heath has a video on it. If liquid people seem to recommend a teaspoon, i generally use a bit more.
It's my understanding from that vid that you don't need to rehydrate the kviek yeast, just sprinkle it in. Is that right??

It's my understanding from that vid that you don't need to rehydrate the kviek yeast, just sprinkle it in. Is that right??
I've done two beers now with lallemand dry yeast. It's a really fast starter and just eats it's way through anything stupid enough to stand in its way. I didn't rehydrate, just sprinkled on.

I've done two beers now with lallemand dry yeast. It's a really fast starter and just eats it's way through anything stupid enough to stand in its way. I didn't rehydrate, just sprinkled on.

Any off or funky flavours or is it very clean?
I'm looking to dip my toe in the water!

The two things to watch are that sometimes they get stressed if the temperature is too low (like "only" 20C) or if there isn't enough nutrient to support their crazy-high metabolism (can be a problem below 1.050 or so).

Worth noting that White Labs have just released WLP519-21 as their versions of Stranda (Hothead), Voss and Hornindal, to go with their existing WLP518 Opshaug, which should be a few pennies cheaper than the Omega ones.

What can I say. I forgot to add the usual half of tablet of protafloc on my last batch and it just doesn't want to clear. Looks like mud water. First beer I've had that that's happened to. The taste is good. Although in my recipe I to much cristal for my taste and its not very balanced with the sabro hops I used. So more my fault than anything. I just sprinkled it in the wort when it hit 40degrees, put a sweater on the fermzilla and let it ride. Finished in 2-3 days. I always use nutrient. There's this distinct taste to it that I recognise as Kveik. On the other hand, the first one I used it for was a dry stout and that one is very clean. I've used both the real stuff and the lallemand and of the two the lallemand is much cleaner

Thanks for the feedback - I have an out of date WLP518 in the fridge that I was going to just throw into a simple pale at around 30 degrees.

Should give me a good impression of what the Kviek taste is hopefully and whether I like it.

Yesterday evening I watching this webinar from Escarpment Labs. It focuses on a big experiment they conducted with all their yeasts. The results include factors such as attenuation, fermentation speed, flavours, aromas etc. There's four or five Kveiks included and it's interesting to see how they perform against other types, like British Ale, Saison and Lager years. It's almost 90 minutes long, but I thought it was worth watching.

Thanks for the feedback - I have an out of date WLP518 in the fridge that I was going to just throw into a simple pale at around 30 degrees.

Should give me a good impression of what the Kviek taste is hopefully and whether I like it.
Temps really depend on the type of Kveik. Like Sigmund gjærnes Voss is good around 36-40. While horningdal is better if pitched at 30. Also with the liquid yeast it's all about how much you pitch. For the esters you should go with a massive underpitch. One vial is enough for 3 batches.
Here is a chart with temps etc for each one: Farmhouse yeast registry

I have never rehydrated yeast and many say its not necessary but the kveik yeast i refer to in this thread is all liquid and the farmhouse strains. I have not tried any of the commercial strains available yet.

I used this recently and rehydrate as per instructions.
Overchilled slightly (27) and pitched at around 9pm.
Checked late next morning and it was climbing out the airlock.

Mental stuff!

I used this recently and rehydrate as per instructions.
Overchilled slightly (27) and pitched at around 9pm.
Checked late next morning and it was climbing out the airlock.

Mental stuff!
Yeah it's mental! I ferment under pressure(best thing I've ever done for my beer was to buy a fermzilla) and even with the pressure the krausen was like 4 fingers high. No other yeast I've ever seen goes of this way.

The two things to watch are that sometimes they get stressed if the temperature is too low (like "only" 20C) or if there isn't enough nutrient to support their crazy-high metabolism (can be a problem below 1.050 or so).

This is why Im a bit reluctant to use Kviek. ! dont have temp control and my brewing area never gets above 25C. I like to "brew simple" so would prefer not to have to faff about by adding nutrient.

No it's fine. It's only when you use bacteria for things like souring of beers that you need to be careful

The real concern is when you're using diastatic yeast like Brett or some of the saisons, any trace of contamination means they can slowly munch away on complex carbohydrates for months after packaging, which can lead to bottle bombs 3+ months down the line.

But none of the kveik are diastatic AFAIK (and it's pretty much a defining characteristic of the Norwegian ones that they aren't phenolic either).

Latest posts

Back