Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought about drying it out? From what I've seen, drying seems to be very popular n the kveik community and will be a lot easier to send in the post. Im going to have a go at drying out some Gales yeast later today

Yup I had planned on drying this out. Just need to build up a massive sample base to test with. Then confirm its viable after rehydration. As the type of yeast I have can be dried.

I'm also planning on freezing some for long term storage.

What do you think? Boil up 10g of challenger in 2l of water and then reduce it and add directly to the fv before crashing. Actually not sure about crashing this either as its taken a long time to carb before but then again this is a very black beer.

My beer has fermented out. That yeast really does get going.

I'm going to sort it out over the weekend and see what I got and how it tastes.

My yeast starter has given me a nice layer of yeast at the bottom of it.
So will be also dealing with that as well.
Going to collect samples.

Updates as they come

Whilst not a kveik yeast, I took inspiration from some of the kveik youtube vids I've seen and have had a go at drying out some gales yeast. It will take about a week to air dry out, I think. Then I'll have to see if its still viable when rehydrated

My beer has fermented out. That yeast really does get going.

I'm going to sort it out over the weekend and see what I got and how it tastes.

My yeast starter has given me a nice layer of yeast at the bottom of it.
So will be also dealing with that as well.
Going to collect samples.

Updates as they come

Look forward to that. :)

Whilst not a kveik yeast, I took inspiration from some of the kveik youtube vids I've seen and have had a go at drying out some gales yeast. It will take about a week to air dry out, I think. Then I'll have to see if its still viable when rehydrated

From what i read you can put it on greaseproof paper in the oven at about 30c. Great experiment. :)

From what i read you can put it on greaseproof paper in the oven at about 30c. Great experiment. :)

I saw something similar on youtube. You put it on greaseproof paper and just using the heat from the oven lightbulb you leave it overnight to dry out.

I topcropped the Gales yeast, then spread it out on some grease proof paper. Then I put it a big plastic tuperware style box, with the lid just resting on it so there is air flow

I topcropped the Gales yeast, then spread it out on some grease proof paper. Then I put it a big plastic tuperware style box, with the lid just resting on it so there is air flow
Project idea: use an old Tupperware box and fit a pc fan to the lid?

Possibly, but I'd be concerned about introducing bacteria and wild yeast that has been blown into the tuppaware box by the fan
You can get antibacterial air filters designed for fridges - cost a few pounds.

But my 'simple' idea is rapidly morphing into something more complicated...

Slight setback with the yeast starter. A blasted fly got into it.
Even though the lid was ajar and a mass amount of foil over it.

Next time I'm going to use a hop sock and foil!

So I'm going to have to wash my yeast from the FV.

Slight setback with the yeast starter. A blasted fly got into it.
Even though the lid was ajar and a mass amount of foil over it.

Next time I'm going to use a hop sock and foil!

So I'm going to have to wash my yeast from the FV.

That is annoying. I have not washed any yeast so far but i have top cropped the kveik. You have to do it in the first 24 hours or so otherwise the krausen will disappear.
There is a way of cleaning yeast with chemical. I cannot remember what it is called but i saw it on Tony Yates YT channel.

That is annoying. I have not washed any yeast so far but i have top cropped the kveik. You have to do it in the first 24 hours or so otherwise the krausen will disappear.
There is a way of cleaning yeast with chemical. I cannot remember what it is called but i saw it on Tony Yates YT channel.

It's called acid washing. No idea how you do it though

Well the starter has been ditched as I was unsure how long the fly was in there for and not risking it.

I will wash the yeast from my CV and do a new starter.
Just means a few days of work again. Yay.

I decided to bottle in the end as i don't have the correct gear to bottle from the keg yet. Sample tasted very promising. Very nice mouth feel and i think the hop tea has done the trick. Its certainly a complex beer and cant wait to try a bottle. Came out at 10.8%. Next i am going to do a small batch of barley wine with it. Not sure if i will do an English or American version yet.
DSC_0018.JPG

Latest posts

Back