Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the Voss strain yesterday on my brew day, first time I've used it, after a couple of hours I went into the workshop and it was bubbling away fairly briskly !

Yes, i use it for stouts and it has plenty of malt character. No idea why your having such issues. I have only used the farmhouse. If you want some of mine pm me.
Hi Beercat. How soon were you drinking your stout?

Quick question re bottling, brewed with Kveik Voss on Saturday morning it's been going like the clappers, how long after it finishes fermenting do you guys normally leave it in the FV to settle? I seem to recall from somewhere just bottle as it finishes ....... nothing would surprise me with this yeast, its nuts!

Personally my two brews have fermented out after 3 days, I then dry hop on day 4 for 3 days and bottle on day 8..........they then carbonate in the bottles really fast at room temperature in about 2-3 days, ready to drink any time after that..........

Personally my two brews have fermented out after 3 days, I then dry hop on day 4 for 3 days and bottle on day 8..........they then carbonate in the bottles really fast at room temperature in about 2-3 days, ready to drink any time after that..........

Thanks for that, gives me a good starting point, going to be a bit of experimenting going on over the next few weeks !

If its a high alcohol beer i would leave it in the fermenter for a few weeks or a bit longer. Its just easier to bulk condition but you don't have to. And i would also use bottling yeast or fresh kveik depending on the ABV. A 12% beer normally ferments in around 72 hours at 30c.

Thanks Beer Cat, looking for pointers, as I said, going to be some fun experiments going on!

Bottling yeast...how much and how if you don't have a bottling bucket? Just a couple of grains per bottle?

Used the second runnings from my brew day yesterday boiled down to 2l and added a bit of magnum hops and 10g of nutrient. No chilled overnight and pitched my top cropped Stranda this morning and it's chugging away already 6 hours later. The starter had an OG of 1.055 so I might even bottle it after 😂 Kveik weizenbock?

So I put the beer on yesterday, pitched the starter made from .3 of a gram of Oslo at about 2pm. Thought I'd top crop it seeing as it was going mad and had a huge krausen at lunchtime today. Opened the FV at 2, the krausen has fallen already. Just for a laugh, took a reading and it is done. 1.010. Bang on 24 hours at 30C. WTAF?! (OG was 1.049).

Last edited:
Same here with my starter I think. It looks done but I'm leaving it a few more days before messing with it. This yeast is a monster. My Oslo came today so I'll culture up a load of that once I've got a free carboy.

What's the consensus on temperature once it has brewed out? I've reduced it to 25 as it seems a waste to keep heating it. Could I safely turn off the heat now and leave it for a few days to clear up?

What's the consensus on temperature once it has brewed out? I've reduced it to 25 as it seems a waste to keep heating it. Could I safely turn off the heat now and leave it for a few days to clear up?
I asked the same thing just the other day... I think the consensus was to power off. I'm just to check how mine is though...

Great thanks @Joust, I hadn't seen that post. I've turned it off now. I think it'll stay at about 20-22 with no heat in there so should be ok I hope!

Great thanks @Joust, I hadn't seen that post. I've turned it off now. I think it'll stay at about 20-22 with no heat in there so should be ok I hope!
I'll be moving mine to the keg at the weekend. So will post about how it seems to have gone.

I think I'm going to put a supermarket cider on with Voss this weekend. 19l and then in to a corny for some forced gassing.

Cheap cold summer weekend drink...

Latest posts

Back