Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day three and I thought I'd have a cheeky peek at my Oslo 'lager' as the airlock had stopped and I couldn't resist.

1.008 giving it 85% attenuation! I was aiming for a crisp dry beer so that's pretty perfect I'd say. Had a taste and it's pretty good considering it's only day three, very malty and definitely lager tasting. Pretty clear too!

I was going to give it two weeks in the fermenter but I think I'll bottle it this weekend and get another beer on the go 👍🏼
Sounds good! What's the recipe?

Sounds good! What's the recipe?
Nothing too fancy as I wanted to see what the yeast was like. I've not had much luck with Kveik yet so I went for a 5l batch incase it failed again.

750g Pils
375g Vienna

Mashed at 65°C then 60min boil.

1g Magnum @60mins
5g Hull Melon @15
5g Hull Melon @3
10g yeast nutrient @3

Oslo Kveik pitched dry (I smashed my first starter so didn't bother with another).

OG 1.052
FG 1.008 (5.78%)

Nothing too fancy as I wanted to see what the yeast was like. I've not had much luck with Kveik yet so I went for a 5l batch incase it failed again.

750g Pils
375g Vienna

Mashed at 65°C then 60min boil.

1g Magnum @60mins
5g Hull Melon @15
5g Hull Melon @3
10g yeast nutrient @3

Oslo Kveik pitched dry (I smashed my first starter so didn't bother with another).

OG 1.052
FG 1.008 (5.78%)
I really like malty pilsners, I have a similar recipe planned with Oslo. I pitched kveik flakes directly to the fermenter with no issues, but I've heard for a clean ferment with Oslo it does need a starter, however hydrating in first runnings should be sufficient.

I really like malty pilsners, I have a similar recipe planned with Oslo. I pitched kveik flakes directly to the fermenter with no issues, but I've heard for a clean ferment with Oslo it does need a starter, however hydrating in first runnings should be sufficient.
I think the smaller volume helped with the lack of starter tbh, I'll be saving the slurry for future brews for so no need for a starter next time.

I'll definitely give this a rebrew at a larger volume, the malt bill at least. I'll wait till it's conditioned to decide if I like the hops, I've not used Hull Melon before and it's a bit young for them to shine at the minute.

Supermarket apple juice cider is done.

Kveik Voss slurry at 38c for 2 weeks. It's says its attenuation is 90%. Which sounds mental to me.

I used 20L of juice and a load of sugar. The gravity started at 1.078

Tasted ok. If not a bit hot...
It's being chilled now.

Used the Voss in an IPA (GH APA) last Saturday and adjusted to a 21L brew @35°C. OG 1.058 and SG 1.010 and still slightly blibbing, so hopefully ready tomorrow. Sample tasted good. Really impressed so far, it didn't take off like I thought it would and not a massive krausen but the airlock was going mad on the Sunday and Monday.

The pale ale I made with Kveik dropped quite low too. 1.058 down to 1.008. Did it pretty fast too.

It was the WHC Hornindal one. The specs on it say 79% attenuation but this it more like 86%.

Got to say Kveik is nuts, first time I used it there was spray coming out of the airlock!
It was during a hot spell, normally wouldn't have brewed but had been told this stuff can cope......

It did, baffled me, but worked ashock1 o_O 👍

Kegged my Greg Hughes APA yesterday, less than a week, bloody fantastic. I didn't cold chill it as such just dropped it to 14°C for a couple of days and it was nearly clear.
What are people's thoughts on dry hopping at 38c?
I didn't dry hop but I think it needs dropping down to 18°C from what others have put.

What are people's thoughts on dry hopping at 38c?
I've read quite a few posts on a kveik facebook page that 30°C+ is too warm and will drive off essential oils. Those who tried this said there was no aroma or flavour from the dry hops.

I feel like I want to do some tests to see what happens...

But also I just want a cold beer and a lie down in the sun.

I dropped to 14 for the dry hop. My latest Kveik brew done on Wednesday looks finished after three days of furious bubbling at 35c...I'll check fg tomorrow and if it's right I'll drop it to 14c and dry hop with 60g of Amarillo.
In the mean time I might need to make some empties as I have a tribute clone to bottle soon as well.

In the mean time I might need to make some empties as I have a tribute clone to bottle soon as well.
This is the problem (nice problem to have) having a corny (keg/bottles) free to take it. Awaiting fridge space in the kegerator for it but should be tonight, glad all has worked out athumb..

New development on my Stranda Kveik.

So the beer I made with it still has the weird plastic taste and is useless, I'm sending some to my father in law (who has nasal polyps and can't taste much) to see if he can taste it. If not then the rest is his.

The starter I made with the top cropped Stranda on the other hand was pretty good. I bottled 4 500ml bottles from it to see if the off taste was still there from the original brew. Carbed and conditioned it for two weeks and it's not bad. Not a great beer, but then again it's the second runnings from a Weizenbock shook relentlessly and bittered with a tiny amount of magnum, so it was never meant to be. The plastic taste is nowhere to be seen (or tasted). There's a tropical fruitiness to it, and maybe a little bit of funk underlying.

After the failure of the original brew I was going to chuck it, but I'm now planning a small 5l NEIPA to see how the tropical taste works in that.

@BeerCat if all goes well do you want to swap some for some Voss? I'll send you a small bottle of Oslo too if you want?

Got another Olso Kveik brew on yesterday, a Sorachi Ace Red Rye IPA. Massive overpitch at 30°C with some of the yeast cake from my previous brew and it was going within a few hours. No temp control, and it was down to 25°C today when I dry hopped it. I'm double dry hopping this one, first whilst at high krausen, and then the second in a couple of days once it drops. I'm planning to bottle on Sunday giving it a week turnaround.

I'm absolutely hooked on Lars Marius Garshol's incredible Historical Brewing Techniques: The Lost Art of Farmhouse Brewing and I'm now desperate to get my hands on some real kveik yeast, having played around with Lallemand Voss for a few months now. I haven't seen so much about this recently but I think some people had success getting samples from Norway - does anyone have any pointers? I'm not on Facebook any more and don't intend to be again, unfortunately.

EDIT: Or are there so many commercial examples on the market now, including the Manaical cultures which don't isolate and remove microbes etc., that there is no real need to get these direct from source any more?
Cheers! :movingbeer:

Last edited:
I'm going to get a pale-ale/IPA on soon with CML voss, and I've read that Kviek can drop the Ph of the final beer more than other yeasts - do folks account for that by e.g aiming for a higher alkalinity than normal when doing water treatment?

I'm wondering if I should aim for a slightly higher than usual mash Ph, and ensure there's a bit more buffering capacity by not adding so much acid to my (high alkalinity) water?

Latest posts

Back