Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast has been salvaged and I'm working on sorting the trub out etc. Also have a new starter going which I'm going to bulk up.

If people want samples please let me know and I will try my best.

Just found this article and maybe this is why I haven't been getting the distinctive esters from the Voss kveik. The suggested pitching rate is a teaspoon of old slurry per 10l of wort. I've heard they like to be under pitched but that's just crazy. Guess that's an experiment required.

I have a brand new starter going and just awaiting shipment of new medical vials.

I'm happy to ship some samples from a good healthy starter.
Just pm me your address. Happy to send samples.

I have a brand new starter going and just awaiting shipment of new medical vials.

I'm happy to ship some samples from a good healthy starter.
Just pm me your address. Happy to send samples.

I've been keeping an interested eye on this thread for a while and am intrigued to give one of these yeasts a try. Could I be cheeky enough to ask for a sample please?

Just found this article and maybe this is why I haven't been getting the distinctive esters from the Voss kveik. The suggested pitching rate is a teaspoon of old slurry per 10l of wort. I've heard they like to be under pitched but that's just crazy. Guess that's an experiment required.

Makes sense i have always found it very clean. Problem with underpitching a high ABV beer is it might not finish. My second did not and i under pitched that a lot. Not sure how much but it took a while to get going compared to normal. Might be worth trying a lager style with this yeast. It flocs very well.

Makes sense i have always found it very clean. Problem with underpitching a high ABV beer is it might not finish. My second did not and i under pitched that a lot. Not sure how much but it took a while to get going compared to normal. Might be worth trying a lager style with this yeast. It flocs very well.
I've also rewatched David Heath's videos and he pitches a vial of yeast into a pint or so of the first runnings which is active and bubbling by the time the brew is ready to be pitched. That would probably be a similar pitching rate and he's brewing around 7 % as these yeast normally work to about 6 - 8% apparently, but can go much higher from what I've read. Will probably test this out when I can.

In other news, I got a sample of yeast from Dan and pitched it into a 500 ml starter which then created about a litre of foam after a couple of hours on the stirplate. There's now a nice layer of yeast settling in my storage jar.

Thats very interesting. I was under the impression it's fruity no matter what. So in that case it may be a perfect summer yeast for my Bike Pirate Blonde (which is basically a lager recipe using an ale or kolsch yeast). So if I pitch a a lot of yeast to suppress the esters as much as possible, I could ferment it at ambient without using my brew bag and still have a clean beer. I wonder if it will mute hop flavour he way notty does because of (I suspect) the high floccuancy. Danbrian is sending me some so I will try this little theory out when it arrives

Thats very interesting. I was under the impression it's fruity no matter what. So in that case it may be a perfect summer yeast for my Bike Pirate Blonde (which is basically a lager recipe using an ale or kolsch yeast). So if I pitch a a lot of yeast to suppress the esters as much as possible, I could ferment it at ambient without using my brew bag and still have a clean beer. I wonder if it will mute hop flavour he way notty does because of (I suspect) the high floccuancy. Danbrian is sending me some so I will try this little theory out when it arrives

Dan's yeast is a different strain and we don't seem to have much tests on what it does yet. Beercat and I used the Gjernes kveik from Voss, which is the one that likes to be at 39c and is very clean if you pitch it like a normal ale yeast. My Norse Gold still had a decent hoppiness from a 15 minute addition of 20g of Fuggles in 15L but Beercat has poor results from a NEIPA if I recall.

Dan's yeast is a different strain and we don't seem to have much tests on what it does yet. Beercat and I used the Gjernes kveik from Voss, which is the one that likes to be at 39c and is very clean if you pitch it like a normal ale yeast. My Norse Gold still had a decent hoppiness from a 15 minute addition of 20g of Fuggles in 15L but Beercat has poor results from a NEIPA if I recall.

Ah, I see. I will report back on how it fares then

Funnily enough i had some good feedback from the NEIPA it just wasn't what i was expecting. If i do it again i will ferment at 20c as i think that would be better for the dry hops. As to my comment above i reckon this would be good for a kolsch style beer. When i gets hot i am going to ferment another raw beer.

This who have messaged me I will send samples out the start of this week.

Taken fresh from my new starter in new medical vials [emoji106]

Thanks Dan. I think it will ferment quickly going by the starter.
Done a golden ale
5kg pilsner
90g organic crystal60
270g wheat

35g ekg FW
40g endeavour @10
40g endeveaour @ flamout

Will try and pitch at stated temps and see what the weather does. First time using English hops for a long time.

Fermentation is in full swing a few hours later. Yeast flocs fast and had to be agitated for a few minutes to get it mixed in the flask. That's after a day at 5c. I tasted the sample and seemed fruity. No way I can hold this to 23c so will see what happens. I predict it will be fine. I pitched the starter at around 40c

Latest posts

Back