Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my second time using Kveik Voss and the first one (an APA) was finished and cold crashed in 5 days (no dry hop). I blast carbed overnight and I was drinking it on the 6th day, I temp controlled it at 35°. Yesterdays brew (another APA) started to ferment a few hours in and when I checked it this morning the blibber was going crazy. This one is also at 35°, pitched yeast at 38°.

So, just to get this straight, you just packaged after the active stage of fermentation as soon as FG had stabilised? No need to let the yeasts do whatever it is they do after, even for a few days? I’m going to be bottling mine, so need to make sure fermentation has definitely finished.

So, just to get this straight, you just packaged after the active stage of fermentation as soon as FG had stabilised? No need to let the yeasts do whatever it is they do after, even for a few days? I’m going to be bottling mine, so need to make sure fermentation has definitely finished.
I never use a secondary as I corny keg straight from my FV, I never left it to clean up etc, you may want to be a tad more cautious if you are bottling, as you say your not in it for the speed. As you say I packaged when SG had stabilised and I knew I'd reached FG. It had cleared quite well but could of benefitted from a week to clear but I don't mind hazy APA.

Well, it’s 72hrs in and it’s still bubbling away with a small Krausen. I took a sample. It’s currently at 29° with a gravity of 1.020 (adjusted). I’m hoping to get to at least 1.012 so still a little way to go. I honestly expected this yeast to eat through the 1.050 wort in no time.

The sample tastes ok. I’m definitely getting the orangey esters (in fact it tastes and looks a bit like orange juice at the moment - see photo for comparison 😁 ). Still v green with just a hint of hot alcohol. I can tell there’s a good beer in there - it seems, even with Kveik, patience is a brewers greatest virtue.

4AD67CDC-F13D-446F-AA3B-836675F95C84.jpeg

ETA: Actually, scratch that orange juice comparison. Just had another sip of the sample after it’s had chance to cool slightly and it’s more like Apple juice - there’s a definite cider quality to it at the moment. I guess that just acetaldehyde still present in the unfinished ferment 🤞. Reassurance gratefully received.

Last edited:
it seems, even with Kveik, patience is a brewers greatest virtue.
Absolutely. It wasn't bad but I didn't like the rice lager or 39c elderflower wheat at first because they were just like juice but now they've calmed down and they're much better. They're both super zesty and the malt is hiding behind the settee but they're really nice. I like the 39c vs 20c beer more as the 20c has left the elderflowers tasting slightly raw.

mine's been in for 48hrs at the moment at a constant 35° in a brewfridge and I will check it tomorrow, started its journey @OG 1.052.
Checked the SG this morning and it's 1.012 so will check tomorrow and if it's still the same cold crash for a couple of days.

This is the contents of my blow off bottle 76 hours after pitching, airlock is on and slowly bubbling. I hope this beer smells and tastes as good as this bottle!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200811_162151687.jpg
    IMG_20200811_162151687.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 119
Are they still any signs of active fermentation? Krausen, airlock activity?Mines still going strong😁, in fact I’d swear the Krausen has grown again!
No Krausen or airlock activity, just a check tomorrow to see if it's ready to cold crash, same as the last one really. If I can get around 10 cornies (5 at the moment) then I would use kveik all the time, different strains obviously for different brews as I could stockpile and leave to condition longer, I'm really impressed with it. athumb..

Last edited:
I just kegged another experiment with using Kveik for lager-like beer.

The really quick turnaround of Kveik tempted me to see how far I could push the corner cutting. The malts were user-uppers; 30 percent Pale Ale / 70 percent Pilsner, I mashed for 30 minutes, boiled for 30 minutes, added Hallertau Blanc @ 20 and 10 to get to about 28 IBU.

Fermented at 20 degrees for 4 days, let it free rise to about 26 degrees for 2 days (I was away - so I gave it some extra time), cool crashed the beer and added gelatin for 2 days, transfered to keg on Monday. Hope to drink it within 2 weeks of brewing.

Will post pictures when I get to drink it this weekend.

Day 5 in the Big Kveiker house...

I’m pleased to announce the Krausen has finally dropped on my Golden/Summer Ale. Still some insistent airlock activity (bubbling every few seconds). Will take a further sample on Friday to see if we’re near predicted FG. If it’s stabilised over the weekend will look to bottle on Tuesday.

Checked SG today and the same as yesterday so starting to cold crash, probably keg it on Friday afternoon as I'm making a Bohemian Pilsner (AG) on Saturday, not using kveik for that using MJ bohemian yeast.

Ah I get you now! Yes it's likely to be lactobacillus then in the beer. To be fair, that sounds like a delicious beer!
Since this conversation I did a quick batch using the same yeast and malt extract. But added my isomered hop extract at the beginning. No sourness.
So thank you for the info. Very helpful and interesting.

But, to be honest. I think I prefer the mild sourness I was getting before...

Day 5 in the Big Kveiker house...

I’m pleased to announce the Krausen has finally dropped on my Golden/Summer Ale. Still some insistent airlock activity (bubbling every few seconds). Will take a further sample on Friday to see if we’re near predicted FG. If it’s stabilised over the weekend will look to bottle on Tuesday.

Down to 1.010 by day 7, which is lower than I was expecting from the 67° mash, but no bad thing. I’m thinking that must be FG but will do another reading early next week before bottling.

ETA: looking and tasting much better too. Still an alcohol hotness though, and it is v v fruity (on the citrus end of the fruity scale). I only bittered to 20IBU, as I wanted to showcase the yeast, but I think any hop bitterness is completely hidden by the fruitiness. That’s not necessarily a bad thing either. As I’ve mentioned I’m going to split this batch - bottle half as is and dry hop the other half with Ekuanot. At the mo, my gut is telling me the dry hopped beer will be more to my taste, but we shall see...

Last edited:
What are people's experience with omega honicidal? I have used it in a ipa and the starter smelt great, strong mandarin flavour. The ipa was supposed to be clear but it's fermented really hazy which is fine, but looking at the recipe it's the yeast that as caused it. There is a sweet taste to the drink, more so when it's chilled. It's ok but overpowers the hops a lot.

I've used it twice. First time was an imperial Red which came out great. It has a chill haze but clears as it warms and no haze from the yeast. I fermented warm (28C) and think I got fruit punch esters but it's hard to be sure as I chucked a bunch of simcoe and chinook at it.

Second time I used it I had a really slow fermentation and it took ages to drop out but did eventually. I fermented around 22 I think and it's pretty clean, maybe a hint of some orange but it's a very faint. I think the slow fermentation was possibly down to me over pitching.

Not sure about the sweetness you're talking about but in the brew I fermented hot I get a bit of an over ripe fruit character. It's not major and fits with the style but every now and again I perceive it as being a little offensive.

Last edited:
Kegged the kveik APA and a quick sample tasted more than promising, blast carbing at the moment so may try a half before I go to bed. athumb..

Since this conversation I did a quick batch using the same yeast and malt extract. But added my isomered hop extract at the beginning. No sourness.
So thank you for the info. Very helpful and interesting.

But, to be honest. I think I prefer the mild sourness I was getting before...
No worries at all, glad it's sorted. Also if you want to make a sour beer you now know how!

I would recommend using farmhouse Ebbegarden at 35C. It's something like 5 strains of sacc and 2 strains of lacto. It's really tropical and nicely sour. I haven't used it yet, but Simonaitis is next on my list which is also sour.

I have a batch of Lida kviek bubbling away at the moment and it is also kicking off a bit of an eggy pong! Did a gravity reading this morning and it's down from 1.056 to 1.030 in a little over 24 hours and it tastes ok. Wouldn't enter it in a competition but also don't want to chuck down the sink so that's a win I guess?? Read on a few other threads on here that Kviek smells during fermentation so I'm not too worried just yet. Mrs isn't overly thrilled mind!!
Just come back from a week away and took a gravity reading from the FV, it had got down to 1.012. However I fear it must have got infected because the slight eggy whiff during fermentation has been replaced by quite a strong smell of what can only be described as sh!t. Back to the drawing board I fear :(

Down to 1.010 by day 7, which is lower than I was expecting from the 67° mash, but no bad thing. I’m thinking that must be FG but will do another reading early next week before bottling.

Dropped another point over the weekend to 1.009 and stabilised. Have bottled 10L as is and will dry hop the rest on Friday - just don’t have enough time to do yet more bottling this week!

It had cleared a lot before bottling (though still a slight opaqueness to it). Still v fruity and not at all neutral. When I do this again I will up my bittering hops to more my taste and look at maybe fermenting cooler ( by which I mean normal ale fermenting temperature!). I’m hoping carbonation and conditioning and serving cold helps it become a little more crisp. I’d definitely like it a bit more beer and a bit less Tango.

Latest posts

Back