Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried my first bottle of my Stranda NEIPA yesterday and it's bloody good.
IMG_20200816_143612.jpg
A little darker than I wanted which is probably from a bit of oxidation, but the taste is amazing. Hoppy, tropical, fruity.. I'm glad the Stranda has finally delivered.

I don't usually name beers, but this deserves it. Wait for it....

Straaanda Deliver.

I'm going to attempt a rebrew for Septembers competition, I don't think this batch will last that long. I only made 5l!

Tried my first bottle of my Stranda NEIPA yesterday and it's bloody good. View attachment 31164A little darker than I wanted which is probably from a bit of oxidation, but the taste is amazing. Hoppy, tropical, fruity.. I'm glad the Stranda has finally delivered.

I don't usually name beers, but this deserves it. Wait for it....

Straaanda Deliver.
you beer or your wife. (I feel a adam ant riff coming on....)

Got a lager on with Ubbe just now. It's been in a smidge less than 72 hours. Just tested it and it's at 1.009, from 1.061 😂

Trying a bottle of Ubbe fermented lager now. I would have to see it has a wee bit of an ale taste. It's certainly not totally clean. Some definite fruitiness which I am almost certain is nothing to do with the Saaz hops.

This is a red IPA fermented with lallemand Voss 2 days into fermentation, krausen seems to have fallen but it's a bit difficult to see!

Attachments

• IMG_20200825_205828272.jpg
    IMG_20200825_205828272.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 79
Trying a bottle of Ubbe fermented lager now. I would have to see it has a wee bit of an ale taste. It's certainly not totally clean. Some definite fruitiness which I am almost certain is nothing to do with the Saaz hops.
Just a follow up on this, I had some correspondence from WHC labs over this. One of the things they mentioned was kveik needing more nutrients than normal yeast. Does anyone double up their yeast nutrients when using kveik yeasts?

You can read the full things over on the CML yeast thread if interested

Just a follow up on this, I had some correspondence from WHC labs over this. One of the things they mentioned was kveik needing more nutrients than normal yeast. Does anyone double up their yeast nutrients when using kveik yeasts?

You can read the full things over on the CML yeast thread if interested

I dump some yeast slurry in near the end of my boil for nutrient. Not had any issues with sluggish fermentation or incomplete attenuation. I'm not saying the old yeast addition is what makes the difference but it certainly isn't hurting it.

I dump some yeast slurry in near the end of my boil for nutrient. Not had any issues with sluggish fermentation or incomplete attenuation. I'm not saying the old yeast addition is what makes the difference but it certainly isn't hurting it.

The issue I spoke to CML and subsequently WHC was relating to estery flavours in the lager. I use yeast nutrient almost all the time but genuinely cant remember if I did last time or not, but I think I will mayne go an extra couple of teaspoons next time.

Time to report back on my shortcut Kveik lager.

To reiterate my process:
  • 70 percent pilsner malt, 30 pale ale (both Swaen)
  • Mash 30 minutes
  • Boil 30 minutes
  • Hallertau blanc @20 and @10 for 28 IBU
  • Fermentation at 20c for 4 days, let it free rise for 2 days, crash cooled to 4c and added some gelatin in the fermenter.
  • Kegged and transferred to my kegerator which sits at about 5c

20200826_190621.jpg

Impressions: it's a nice golden colour (picture is a bit dark). It's clear but not yet crystal clear. Perhaps this is due to kegging after 7 days, not adding gelatin to the keg, conservative gelatine usage, my kegerator only being at 5C.. I'm sure that more time will make it even clearer.

The taste is straw/grain and crispness. There are no esters to be found. It gets really close to lager fermentation at a fraction of the time and effort required. Kveik is such a versatile yeast!

Time to report back on my shortcut Kveik lager.

To reiterate my process:
  • 70 percent pilsner malt, 30 pale ale (both Swaen)
  • Mash 30 minutes
  • Boil 30 minutes
  • Hallertau blanc @20 and @10 for 28 IBU
  • Fermentation at 20c for 4 days, let it free rise for 2 days, crash cooled to 4c and added some gelatin in the fermenter.
  • Kegged and transferred to my kegerator which sits at about 5c

View attachment 31616

Impressions: it's a nice golden colour (picture is a bit dark). It's clear but not yet crystal clear. Perhaps this is due to kegging after 7 days, not adding gelatin to the keg, conservative gelatine usage, my kegerator only being at 5C.. I'm sure that more time will make it even clearer.

The taste is straw/grain and crispness. There are no esters to be found. It gets really close to lager fermentation at a fraction of the time and effort required. Kveik is such a versatile yeast!

Great shout on Hallertau Blanc. I love it in my lagers.

Just come back from a week away and took a gravity reading from the FV, it had got down to 1.012. However I fear it must have got infected because the slight eggy whiff during fermentation has been replaced by quite a strong smell of what can only be described as sh!t. Back to the drawing board I fear :(

Bradley, I have just brewed using Lida which I purchased from the yeasterbunny on ebay. I produced a yeast starter using the dried yeast (looked like mud scrapings) a day before pitching into the main wort. It did smell stronger than other yeasts whilst fermenting. OG 1.060 FG 1.014 when I stopped it by dropping the fermenter temperature, I fermented at 28 degrees.

The beer has sat for a week, it is still cloudy and slightly yeasty but has a nice fruity taste. I was expecting to dry hop it but I think I will barrel / bottle as is. It makes a nice change to the DDH IPAs I normally brew.

I have kept part of my starter in the fridge to use at some point in the future.

Sounds and looks excellent!

Just about to try a keg of cream ale fermented with lallemand Voss, first time using it.

Which strain did you use? Sorry if you've already stated this, the thread is massive!

Excellent, I'll try a cooler ferment next time - I did my cream ale at 35c !

I’m going to do the same - my golden ale with L.Voss is just a little too fruity. Although I only managed to maintain about 30° during fermentation, I’m going to aim for normal ambient temperature, so 20ish° next time, to try and get it less orange forward. Might up my nutrients too, and pitch the whole pack rather than half, as it took 7 days to reach FG, which doesn’t seem right.

How’s your cream ale tasting?

Latest posts

Back