Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed Yeasterbunny now has Lutra! I've wanted to brew with this as I've read really good things about it, and seems like the best kveik for lagers. Was wondering if anyone has ordered this from there?

My stout has finished fermenting, but I've been so mega busy with work I've sadly not been able to do any brewing the past few weeks. Any amount of time I've had has been to make cider, and I'm struggling to find time for that now. It's all coming to a head and soon I'll be over the hump and can get back to brewing properly. I have some Oslo I want to use, and I want to get some more Opshaug and Lutra and see which makes the best "lager".

I have, however, kept tomorrow off so I can brew a Simonaitis sour and finally bottle that Voss stout!

Turns out when I got over the hump, there was a bigger hump the other side.

Anyway, I'm now drinking the stout and really enjoying it. It's been 2 weeks in the bottle and had chocolate, roasty and coffee flavours, with a bitter finish. There are also some orange and earthy flavours that come through which must be the kveik. It's a really pleasant and complex session beer.

Has anyone tried Juggernaut yet? I have had some very tasty beers made it and its a week turnaround. I have just pitched some at 8c and its now warming up to 35c for a 2 day ferment. Its a no boil beer and this time i tasted the wort and noticed quite a lot of bitterness from a 75c steep. I don't think i need to add bittering hops. Using Mosaic and a new hop called Bru1. Smells amazing, going to do another next week so i don't run out over Christmas. Still plenty of time if your kegging.

What yeast?
Farmhouse Voss. This batch went very quickly, I was very happy with it.

Whilst this would make a great classic British stout, personally I prefer stouts with strong coffee and chocolate flavours and clean yeast flavours with low bitterness. This isn't the yeast for that!

I bottled my first stout attempt yesterday. I used the horningdal strain and when I had a quick preview sip from the fermenter was quite pleased. Getting a good coffee hit with a tiny hint of chocolate and although the aroma of the yeast is there, the flavour is quite clean.

I bottled my first stout attempt yesterday. I used the horningdal strain and when I had a quick preview sip from the fermenter was quite pleased. Getting a good coffee hit with a tiny hint of chocolate and although the aroma of the yeast is there, the flavour is quite clean.
Is hornindal the yeast with mushroom flavours?

Farmhouse Voss. This batch went very quickly, I was very happy with it.

Whilst this would make a great classic British stout, personally I prefer stouts with strong coffee and chocolate flavours and clean yeast flavours with low bitterness. This isn't the yeast for that!
Agreed. I get a distinctive orangy flavour in all the dark beers that I've brewed with Voss, even fermenting in the low 20s. It mellows out with time, but it's not what I was looking for. I found Opshaug to be much less intrusive. I'll keep the kveik for the next heatwave, I think.

Agreed. I get a distinctive orangy flavour in all the dark beers that I've brewed with Voss, even fermenting in the low 20s. It mellows out with time, but it's not what I was looking for. I found Opshaug to be much less intrusive. I'll keep the kveik for the next heatwave, I think.
I've used Opshaug once before for a doppelbock and really liked it. It was nice and clean, will buy some more in the not too distant future hopefully.
Supposedly yeah but I haven't noticed it yet. You do get a bit of an "earthy" taste but it's really mild.
It sounds like a nice yeast apart from the mushroom bit. I hate mushrooms! I can imagine though if there was a way to accentuate that flavour a mushroom ale would be an interesting beer for others.

Again - if anybody wants to give it a go I found CML Kristalweizen to be pretty damned good at 39c and it gives you something that tastes like it's a beer unlike Voss. I think somebody else did it here, too. The Gretel works at 35c but is more like you'd expect it to be : a bananary thing.

I'm doing another semi-stupid experiment with Voss right now - will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
I've done a few voss that are around 7 to 8 percent, recently.

I've been pitching fairly low amounts of yeast. And after a day or so it goes off like a yeasty stick of dynamite (and makes a mess). And it's pretty much done.

But it always needs a stir and another 10 days or so to get the last few points down and take away some sweetness. Almost like it's settling out too soon.

Anyone found any of the other kveiks better for a stronger beer?

I've done a few voss that are around 7 to 8 percent, recently.

I've been pitching fairly low amounts of yeast. And after a day or so it goes off like a yeasty stick of dynamite (and makes a mess). And it's pretty much done.

But it always needs a stir and another 10 days or so to get the last few points down and take away some sweetness. Almost like it's settling out too soon.

Anyone found any of the other kveiks better for a stronger beer?
I was considering making a barleywine with Voss. Do you add nutrients to the boil?

I've only once made a high gravity beer with kveik. The doppelbock I mentioned in post #1,750 had a starting gravity of 1.090 and Opshaug got it to 1.025 or around there. I didn't add nutrient to the boil and probably fermented too cold. It did have a very clean flavour though. I can imagine with proper care it would be able to ferment to a lower SG.

I was considering making a barleywine with Voss. Do you add nutrients to the boil?

I've only once made a high gravity beer with kveik. The doppelbock I mentioned in post #1,750 had a starting gravity of 1.090 and Opshaug got it to 1.025 or around there. I didn't add nutrient to the boil and probably fermented too cold. It did have a very clean flavour though. I can imagine with proper care it would be able to ferment to a lower SG.
They should all be better for strong beer, that's their natural environment. Serving a weak beer at an Oppskåke wouldn't go down well.

It's weak worts that needs nutrient additions, with kveik.

How to use kveik

That all makes sense.
I've tried nutrients. But it makes no difference.

I'll try another batch this weekend and give it some more care and hands on management.

The Jugernaut fermented

It sounds like a nice yeast apart from the mushroom bit. I hate mushrooms! I can imagine though if there was a way to accentuate that flavour a mushroom ale would be an interesting beer for others.
Imagine a beer mixed with mushroom tea! :vomitintoilet:

@Joust Voss can easily go to 13%. Steve did 16% and i managed 15.5% by using amylase. You need a highly fermentable wort. i mash really low, 20% sugar and some flaked barley or wheat. I shake the **** out of it in a cube until its frothy and use a beer nutrients. Ferment at 35c. Avoid massive amounts of crystal and dark malts if you want it to finish low. Worth experimenting with small batches if its your thing but its very doable and you can drink them fast.

The Jugernaut fermented

Imagine a beer mixed with mushroom tea! :vomitintoilet:

@Joust Voss can easily go to 13%. Steve did 16% and i managed 15.5% by using amylase. You need a highly fermentable wort. i mash really low, 20% sugar and some flaked barley or wheat. I shake the **** out of it in a cube until its frothy and use a beer nutrients. Ferment at 35c. Avoid massive amounts of crystal and dark malts if you want it to finish low. Worth experimenting with small batches if its your thing but its very doable and you can drink them fast.
Thanks for the detail. Very much appreciated.

Mine have been chooching along nicely at about 35c. And will get 95% done in 3 to 5 days. With the vast majority happening in the first 48 hours. But after that it's very slow (relatively) to the end.

I'll try your tips and see if I can do better. Cheers my dude.

I’ve just got some Voss. I have in my brew queue some AG kits from Worcester Hop Shop - Batemans XXXB, Fullers ESB and a Pilsener. What would be the best guinea pig to try it out - I’m assuming one of the ales?

have in my brew queue some AG kits from Worcester Hop Shop - Batemans XXXB, Fullers ESB and a Pilsener. What would be the best guinea pig to try it out - I’m assuming one of the ales?
I'd do the exact opposite - you're might ruin the ales by stripping out all the taste and turning it to orange squash. Lager kits come pre-ruined so adding some character can only help.

Edit : Ahhh, they're all grain kits. I'd still do the lager. I did a rice lager with voss and it was absolutely sod all like any sort of actual beer but was at 10/10 as a drink.

And if you're brewing at high temperatures any late hopping seems a complete waste of time. I'm saving anything that's not for bittering for a dry hop next time.

Last edited:
I’ve just got some Voss. I have in my brew queue some AG kits from Worcester Hop Shop - Batemans XXXB, Fullers ESB and a Pilsener. What would be the best guinea pig to try it out - I’m assuming one of the ales?
I did an all grain helles lager and used voss kveik yeast as an experiment as it was all I had. never again,the fruity esters of kveik just don't work in a lager in my view. ill be pouring most of it away.

just used the same yeast in a juicy ish hoppy ale and it's excellent.

Latest posts

Back