Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad its going like a rocket!

Also remember when you do a starter, you can also dry the yeast out.

Drain of liquid until left with a slurry. Pour this on baking paper and put in the oven at a temp under 30c for a few hours.

Else just leave in airing cupboard or something

The slurry will eventually dry and flake. Once done store in a jar can also then be frozen if wanted.
But should last for years dried.

I tested my dried yeast from a few small bits and within 1 hour I had life!

24 hours later and it's already calming down. There was beer everywhere this morning. Not enough headspace. Will cold crash at 7 days, add findings and keg. Will have a taste in a few days and decide if I should dry hop.

Attachments

• 2018-06-30 15.05.59.jpg
    2018-06-30 15.05.59.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 92
I’m going to be putting your Sigmund Voss to work tomorrow (starter and brew day today ending to plan)

I’m going to leave enough head space in the fermentasaurus after seeing yours go at a million mikes an hour.

I decided late in the day to do this after my fermentation fridge packed up and I had to give up on brewing a NEIPA until I got a replacement.

But then I thought, hang on! Early 30’s temps....... that calls for an under pitched and hot fermented Kveik [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been slowly building up the kviek danbriant sent me. One thing ive noticed about it is, it dont half kick out some C02. If you use a stir plate you probably wouldnt notice this. But I use (2L ) water bottles and just shake them periodically during the day. When I open the top masses ,of C02 comes out. More than when I usually do this.
It's also very flocculant. I've just tried to split what I've already stepped up into a cetrtifuge tube and some 250ml bottles. It was very difficult to do as the yeast was in clumps

I've been slowly building up the kviek danbriant sent me. One thing ive noticed about it is, it dont half kick out some C02. If you use a stir plate you probably wouldnt notice this. But I use (2L ) water bottles and just shake them periodically during the day. When I open the top masses ,of C02 comes out. More than when I usually do this.
It's also very flocculant. I've just tried to split what I've already stepped up into a cetrtifuge tube and some 250ml bottles. It was very difficult to do as the yeast was in clumps

If you store your starters do they clear or remain a bit cloudy? Something I noticed with the Voss was that the starter never got clear like my others, and the pale ale I brewed was hazy like a wheat beer, but it did have a bunch of wheat, oats and rye in it. The Strandadalen kveik starter looks similar.

Anyone brewed with it yet? Does it ferment as fast as the Voss strain or is it slower given that it was a more sensible 23.5c? Was thinking of using it soon and trying to work out expected times for brewing between hitches.

If you store your starters do they clear or remain a bit cloudy? Something I noticed with the Voss was that the starter never got clear like my others, and the pale ale I brewed was hazy like a wheat beer, but it did have a bunch of wheat, oats and rye in it. The Strandadalen kveik starter looks similar.

Anyone brewed with it yet? Does it ferment as fast as the Voss strain or is it slower given that it was a more sensible 23.5c? Was thinking of using it soon and trying to work out expected times for brewing between hitches.

Thanks for letting me know that. My starters is cloudy which I found a bit odd as any other starter I've stored has been clear. I would have expected is to be clear quite quickly, especially as it's so flocculant. I'm want particularly worried as is smelled right

Thanks for letting me know that. My starters is cloudy which I found a bit odd as any other starter I've stored has been clear. I would have expected is to be clear quite quickly, especially as it's so flocculant. I'm want particularly worried as is smelled right
Glad it's not just me then I guess? My stout has a more traditional malt bill but being so dark it's hard to tell if it has a haze. I've seen some traditional kveik having a bit of a haze so it might just be a trait of the yeast, would be odd given they are so flocculant. But then they are meant to be multi strain yeasts so maybe one resists flocculation and doesn't get caught up with the rest?

Glad it's not just me then I guess? My stout has a more traditional malt bill but being so dark it's hard to tell if it has a haze. I've seen some traditional kveik having a bit of a haze so it might just be a trait of the yeast, would be odd given they are so flocculant. But then they are meant to be multi strain yeasts so maybe one resists flocculation and doesn't get caught up with the rest?

I dont know a huge amount about kviek's. If their multi strain that is probably why then

I dont know a huge amount about kviek's. If their multi strain that is probably why then
I don't know if they all are but that's part of the criticism of the commercial strains since they are mono-cultures so apparently aren't as characterful.

My jars of voss yeast do clear. Will be having a sample of the beer brewed with Dan's yeast tonight. Unfortunately I have a feeling something went wrong as the first sample tasted very odd.
Next beer will be something simple with MO, wheat and EKG. Probably raw but still undecided.

Loving your dedication to exploring this yeast dude [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I pitched my kviek yesterday eve at 28C and it's off like the clappers this morning
What kinda of pitching rate did you use? Previously I've pitched like an ale but today I didn't have time to step up the starter twice so it's about half the usual rate but I'm going to add the yeast to a litre of first runnings like on David Heath's videos.

Glad its going like a rocket!

Also remember when you do a starter, you can also dry the yeast out.

Drain of liquid until left with a slurry. Pour this on baking paper and put in the oven at a temp under 30c for a few hours.

Else just leave in airing cupboard or something

The slurry will eventually dry and flake. Once done store in a jar can also then be frozen if wanted.
But should last for years dried.

I tested my dried yeast from a few small bits and within 1 hour I had life!

Ach, annoyed I missed this kveik yeast offer. If you're posting more at some point I'd be up for a go.

I have been given another yeast sample

FY 11: Lida

Owner
Samuel Lien

Collected by
William Holden

Place
Hornindal

Pitch
33.0°C

Can be dried
Y

Harvest

Taste: Soft, fruity, milky caramel aroma.

Provenance: Samuel Lien got the yeast from Hans Øen around 1980. Øen moved to Hornindal from Faleide in Stryn.

@danbriant When I did the starter the poured some int o a 250ml bottle then when everthing had settled poured that into a centrifuge tube like the one you sent me. I might try drying the kviek out next time I make a starter with it but not until the weather cools off. I dont think I could stand leaving the oven on for several hours in this heat

I pitched my kviek yesterday eve at 28C and it's off like the clappers this morning

What sort of beer did you pitch it in?
I'm planning a strong porter (split 3 or 4 ways post fermentation) soon, and am considering using the sample I received from Dan.

What kinda of pitching rate did you use? Previously I've pitched like an ale but today I didn't have time to step up the starter twice so it's about half the usual rate but I'm going to add the yeast to a litre of first runnings like on David Heath's videos.

I dont bother with pitch rates I just eyeball what Im going to pitch based on experience. Even if you use a yeast calc, for slurry, you still need to know how many billion cell/ml your starting off with, which, unless you've got a microscope you can only really guess at.

Ive read, to get the best out of kviek you need to massively underpitch, like a spoonful for a 23L brew. Im not brave enough to do that so I just pitched the normal amount I would into an ale

Latest posts

Back