Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MJ Kveik is Voss, and Voss can leave Sulphur and Acetaldehyde unless it is fermented hot, I wouldn't take it below 25C. It also has above average nutrient requirements, like most Kveik.

Yeah I thought it might be due to too low a fermentation temp or certainly the instability. I think he'd hoped that a quick kveik ferment would have taken care of a lack of temp control but the opposite appears to have happened. I'll mention it to him for future reference

I've just seen today that omega have released a dried version of lutra. Is this new?
Omega Website
In stock at The Malt Miller now - just popped up on my Facebook feed.

Definitely interested in trying it but it's £8.99 for an 11g pack and they seem to be suggesting 2 packs for a 5 gallon batch. Have Omega still not got their heads around kveik pitch rates or is this what will actually be needed? I use a single pack of dried Voss for 5 gallon batches all the time and I think I could get away with half a pack given how rapidly and healthily it sets off.

I'm not just being tight and I will try it at some point but by putting at a similar price to liquid yeast it negates one of the big reasons I tend to use dried these days.

Definitely interested in trying it but it's £8.99 for an 11g pack and they seem to be suggesting 2 packs for a 5 gallon batch. Have Omega still not got their heads around kveik pitch rates or is this what will actually be needed? I use a single pack of dried Voss for 5 gallon batches all the time and I think I could get away with half a pack given how rapidly and healthily it sets off.

I'm not just being tight and I will try it at some point but by putting at a similar price to liquid yeast it negates one of the big reasons I tend to use dried these days.
I'm not sure about the omega recommendations, but I used some dried skare in a 8l batch and that was only 2g, which turned out pretty well. Might be one to experiment a bit with I guess

Apologies if this is well documented elsewhere....

Just done my first brew in over a year due to house move. Only yeast I had in date was a CML Kviek No 1. It's now in the fermenter at 35C but I'm wondering about carbonation. Do I need to bottle and then keep it at 35C or will it carb ok at room temp?

Apologies if this is well documented elsewhere....

Just done my first brew in over a year due to house move. Only yeast I had in date was a CML Kviek No 1. It's now in the fermenter at 35C but I'm wondering about carbonation. Do I need to bottle and then keep it at 35C or will it carb ok at room temp?
Room temp is fine. The high temp is just for it to do its thing and finish in 3 days or less

No problem. I've been using kveik almost exclusively for the last 3 years. Any questions, feel free to ask
Well in that case...
Fermentation has got off to a flying start which got me thinking.

1. I usually add a couple of days diacetyl rest to the end of fermentation - is this a requirement with Kveik and if so, how much for how long?

2. I also cold crash for a couple of days before bottling. Again, is this a thing with Kveik?

3. And finally, if this stuff means I'm going to be brewing more regularly than usual, is it relatively straight forward to harvest some of the yeast after fermentation? I know this is a whole new discussion with lots of documentation so no need for detail here.

It's great to be back on the brewing 😊 I've got that 'can't wait to try the new brew' thing again.

Well in that case...
Fermentation has got off to a flying start which got me thinking.

1. I usually add a couple of days diacetyl rest to the end of fermentation - is this a requirement with Kveik and if so, how much for how long?

2. I also cold crash for a couple of days before bottling. Again, is this a thing with Kveik?

3. And finally, if this stuff means I'm going to be brewing more regularly than usual, is it relatively straight forward to harvest some of the yeast after fermentation? I know this is a whole new discussion with lots of documentation so no need for detail here.

It's great to be back on the brewing 😊 I've got that 'can't wait to try the new brew' thing again.
Just to add my experience with it (mostly dried Voss)

1. I have kegged after 3 days and it has being quite drinkable straight away (although I do feel it benefits from a week or two to condition).
2. I’ve never bothered to cold crash so can’t comment on it though should say it does fall out of suspension pretty quickly.
3. I have quite often reused it by just pitching a tablespoon of slurry into the next batch. Though this tended to be in the summer where I brewed small batches in rapid succession often kegging and brewing the same day.

For me Kveik is more of a warm weather yeast as you can make remarkably good without temperature control although personally I have found at least with Voss it does tend to stall sometimes if it drops below,25°C and works best at the top end of the temperature range leaving me with the slightly ludicrous situation of having 25°C-30°C temperatures and yet heavily insulating my fermentor and using a heat mat to keep it at 40°C.

For me Kveik is more of a warm weather yeast as you can make remarkably good without temperature control although personally I have found at least with Voss it does tend to stall sometimes if it drops below,25°C and works best at the top end of the temperature range leaving me with the slightly ludicrous situation of having 25°C-30°C temperatures and yet heavily insulating my fermentor and using a heat mat to keep it at 40°C.

I use Voss as a easy alternative that doesn't need temperature control but I've never had it stall. I just leave it on the counter and and just get a reasonably clean fermentation at room temp (around 18 - 25°c in summer). Usually finishes up in around 3 days.

I must start harvesting Voss as it's used in at least 70% of my brews.

I use Voss as a easy alternative that doesn't need temperature control but I've never had it stall. I just leave it on the counter and and just get a reasonably clean fermentation at room temp (around 18 - 25°c in summer). Usually finishes up in around 3 days.

I must start harvesting Voss as it's used in at least 70% of my brews.
Always possible that other factors where at work for my batch of course, that led to it stalling but happened a couple of times and the only thing different for those batches was the lower temperature so I have taken to going as high as possible with the temperatures. Either way it makes nice beer and quickly.

Voss is also surprisingly neutral even at 40°C I did get a somewhat orangey taste on one occasion but otherwise as I said pretty neutral.

1. I have kegged after 3 days and it has being quite drinkable straight away (although I do feel it benefits from a week or two to condition).
2. I’ve never bothered to cold crash so can’t comment on it though should say it does fall out of suspension pretty quickly.
3. I have quite often reused it by just pitching a tablespoon of slurry into the next batch. Though this tended to be in the summer where I brewed small batches in rapid succession often kegging and brewing the same day.

Always possible that other factors where at work for my batch of course, that led to it stalling but happened a couple of times and the only thing different for those batches was the lower temperature so I have taken to going as high as possible with the temperatures. Either way it makes nice beer and quickly.

Voss is also surprisingly neutral even at 40°C I did get a somewhat orangey taste on one occasion but otherwise as I said pretty neutral.
I wonder if it's a serial passage affect where you are "selecting" for kveik that prefers your usual higher temps?

I don't do a diacetyl rest with Kveik but I do cold crash which seems to improve the look and the taste of my brews.

Also, I have a collection of dired Kveik that I got from a mate of mine but for my first Kveik brew many months ago I decided to use Llallemand's 11g dried Voss to experiement with harvesting.

After fermentation, I put all the trub into two 1 litre Kilner jars and stuck them in the fridge. I left the top unscrewed for a few days and then tightened them up.

Maybe my fridge wasn't cold enough or I should have waited longer but the day after I tightened the lids of the jars, the yeast dented them and they almost exploded!

After four weeks of opening and closing the lids, they calmed down. And so I bought some 50ml test tubes on Aliexpress which was just a few quid for 20.

I then transferred from the contets of the Kilner jars into the test tubes (leaving space at the top of each one) and stuck them at the back of the fridge.

Now I use one test tube for each brew and the yeast becomes active after just a couple of hours.

Screenshot 2021-10-04 at 09.12.49.png

Well I brewed Saturday and pitched the yeast at about 5pm at 35c. It was bubbling within a couple of hours and stopped by Monday morning. I upped the temp to 37c over the next day or so and then started cold crashing this morning. Tastes it this evening and it's good. Not a lot of hop flavour considering the amount that went in. I'll be bottling Friday evening with any luck. Can't believe the speed this has gone at. Thanks for your hints and tips everyone.

Did a brew with dried lutra on Wednesday evening. Checked it this morning and it's fermented down to 1.006. Sample was pretty clear and clean tasting. Going to cold crash for a couple of days the keg onto gelatine and burst carbonate. Expecting it to be drinkable and crystal clear by Saturday.

Going to be harvesting the yeast from this one. I'll probably end up keeping half of it liquid and drying the other half.

Between this and Voss I don't really see me needing to use traditional yeast much other than for Belgian styles.

What he said 😊 I do however cold crash. I find that it clears faster that way, though not always. My Voss Strain is from the farm and I think one of the 7 or 8 yeasts that are in it doesn't like to clear and I've noticed that sometimes it takes ages if ever to clear. I mostly use horningdal these days. I love it!!

If you have Instagram, come check out my chanel smallspacesbrewing. I post almost everything I brew there with pictures

Cheers!!

Did a brew with dried lutra on Wednesday evening. Checked it this morning and it's fermented down to 1.006. Sample was pretty clear and clean tasting. Going to cold crash for a couple of days the keg onto gelatine and burst carbonate. Expecting it to be drinkable and crystal clear by Saturday.

Going to be harvesting the yeast from this one. I'll probably end up keeping half of it liquid and drying the other half.

Between this and Voss I don't really see me needing to use traditional yeast much other than for Belgian styles.
Kveik is an incredible yeast. Can be used to make most styles except Belgian likne you said. Don't really make those anyway so.

Latest posts

Back