Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds awesome. I

Your beer sound awesome. Love the citrus touch you get with Voss kveik . But yours I think must be at a whole different level. 1010 sounds normal to me. This is going to be one hoppy beer :) please keep us updated on how it went.
I shall report back in a few weeks :beer1:

Just kegged an oatmeal stout fermented with juggernaut. Cannot pick up any esters but then again its quite roasty. Really versatile yeast, 73% attenuation mashed at 67c. Tried some beers from Deya brewery the other day and might have a crack at something similar soon with jug. Has anyone tried their beers? I think the style is perfect for no boil too.

Sounds awesome. I

Your beer sound awesome. Love the citrus touch you get with Voss kveik . But yours I think must be at a whole different level. 1010 sounds normal to me. This is going to be one hoppy beer :) please keep us updated on how it went.
I shall report back in a few weeks :beer1:

Day off today so just bottled this and there was enough left over for a good sample, wow what a beer! some hop burn as a decent amount of high % AA hops were used but the grapefruit and blood oranges shine through nicely but without being overpowering and making it some strange beer/cider combo. No idea how much of this is down to the use as I'm a first time Kveik user but my mates who own a mobile bar donated me some that they were unlikely to shift all of in lockdown and that was similar but slightly less fruity( I assume they held back on using actual fruit...)

A very slight sharp/tart edge which I am hoping will mellow with the hop burn, very refreshing though so will report back once this has had a few weeks to condition

Hi,
I have a jar of cropped Hornindial in the fridge. It is is a sealed jam jar with a small amount of the wort from which it was cropped.

It has been in there since the end of august though. Do you think this will be any good still?
I wouldn’t mind using it in a stout, and there’s probably two or three tablespoons of yeast.

I ended up pitching this yesterday in a honey Porter. I pitched a teaspoon straight out of the jar, I checked it this morning and the airlock is going crazy. Obviously no issue keeping this in the fridge for sixth months! 😀

Day off today so just bottled this and there was enough left over for a good sample, wow what a beer! some hop burn as a decent amount of high % AA hops were used but the grapefruit and blood oranges shine through nicely but without being overpowering and making it some strange beer/cider combo. No idea how much of this is down to the use as I'm a first time Kveik user but my mates who own a mobile bar donated me some that they were unlikely to shift all of in lockdown and that was similar but slightly less fruity( I assume they held back on using actual fruit...)

A very slight sharp/tart edge which I am hoping will mellow with the hop burn, very refreshing though so will report back once this has had a few weeks to condition
Sounds very nice.

Just put on a homegrown First Gold (almost) single hop using CML Voss, didn't add any extra O2, just sprinkled 2.5g in dry at 35c and it was properly bubbling the blow off within 6 hours. Hoping any citrus character compliments my hops.

Made a 250ml hornidal starter from wlp yeast vial which had a November best before date, 5 hours ago, appears to be done already, white layer of yeast had settled although there were no signs of any fermentation

This is my raw hazy pale done with Maniacal yeast Juggernaut. Hops are Bru1, El Dorado and Mosaic. Kegged it day 5 and started drinking it the next day. Its about 30% oats.
20210221_133042.jpg

So my kveik has had around 5 weeks in the bottle and has mellowed slightly to something that is rather easy drinking. Picked up a
N
orth Brewing Co Green Curve Kveik IPA as a comparison and really happy with how mine was side by side. Mine lacked some of the hop profile but that is to be expected in a home brew setup that lacks closed transfers.

Next time I will physically squeeze the orange and grapefruit as the beer could get away with more fruit flavour while still very much remaining a 'beer'. The only real issue is mine was not an attempt at something really hazy and I feel the fruit has killed some head retention, so next time around 15-20% wheat malt will be used.

The kveik ipa I made recently with some Voss originally from ebay but repitched a few times took at least 5 weeks to sort itself right. I don't know what went wrong with it but the whole way through was truly reminiscent of orange squash. No fruit in the beer of course. Its kind of put me off kveik but i'll need to try another stain at some point. I may well have just not treated the yeast right as I fermented at ambient T.

The kveik ipa I made recently with some Voss originally from ebay but repitched a few times took at least 5 weeks to sort itself right. I don't know what went wrong with it but the whole way through was truly reminiscent of orange squash. No fruit in the beer of course. Its kind of put me off kveik but i'll need to try another stain at some point. I may well have just not treated the yeast right as I fermented at ambient T.
I found that when I pitched Voss at high temps it was great but at ambient temperatures it was somewhat ‘meh’

New development on my Stranda Kveik.

So the beer I made with it still has the weird plastic taste and is useless, I'm sending some to my father in law (who has nasal polyps and can't taste much) to see if he can taste it. If not then the rest is his.

The starter I made with the top cropped Stranda on the other hand was pretty good. I bottled 4 500ml bottles from it to see if the off taste was still there from the original brew. Carbed and conditioned it for two weeks and it's not bad. Not a great beer, but then again it's the second runnings from a Weizenbock shook relentlessly and bittered with a tiny amount of magnum, so it was never meant to be. The plastic taste is nowhere to be seen (or tasted). There's a tropical fruitiness to it, and maybe a little bit of funk underlying.

After the failure of the original brew I was going to chuck it, but I'm now planning a small 5l NEIPA to see how the tropical taste works in that.

@BeerCat if all goes well do you want to swap some for some Voss? I'll send you a small bottle of Oslo too if you want?
Just kegged my Stranda and got a lot of rubber/plastic smell sigh out of the keg during transfer. Did your plastic Stranda improve with time, or should I think about dumping this one? I suspect I under pitched (I'd hoped to use the Gjernes Voss I had, but it looks to have died!)

Just kegged my Stranda and got a lot of rubber/plastic smell sigh out of the keg during transfer. Did your plastic Stranda improve with time, or should I think about dumping this one? I suspect I under pitched (I'd hoped to use the Gjernes Voss I had, but it looks to have died!)
Personally I'd chuck it, or give it to someone with no sense of smell (like my father in law). I've given up on kveik yeasts now, there's a taste to them that I dislike, I get it from commercial ones as well.

Personally I'd chuck it, or give it to someone with no sense of smell (like my father in law). I've given up on kveik yeasts now, there's a taste to them that I dislike, I get it from commercial ones as well.
Drat, I suspected as much. As well as Stranda, I've used Hornindal which also came across a little odd to me. I do like the Gjernes Voss though: nice orangey flavours that worked really well in a pale ale.
I was looking into kveik for their novelty, but also because I don't have much in the way of temperature control. Maybe I should move more towards Sui Generis' method. Pitch lots and lots of healthy yeast to avoid 'warm' off flavours (link: My Warm Lagering Method - Sui Generis Brewing).
Thanks for responding! athumb..

Hi everyone. I bought some dried kveik flakes from Yeaster Bunny in November and they went straight into my freezer where they have remained ever since. I have Opshaug and Lutra, was thinking of using one of them for a SMASH pale, what are your thoughts on making a starter? It's been a long time since I last brewed, I can't remember the various intricacies with kveiks and starters!

Hi everyone. I bought some dried kveik flakes from Yeaster Bunny in November and they went straight into my freezer where they have remained ever since. I have Opshaug and Lutra, was thinking of using one of them for a SMASH pale, what are your thoughts on making a starter? It's been a long time since I last brewed, I can't remember the various intricacies with kveiks and starters!
When I first started using kveik, the discussions claimed that to underpitch was king. From that, I inferred (tragically in hindsight) that starters were an unnecessary folly with regards to kveik. For my recent Stranda debacle (see posts above), I pitched the dry yeast straight into the fermenter. After 1-2 days, there was plenty-o-krausen. BUT there was a burned rubber/plastic smell and flavour which I suspect was down to underpitching a not maximally healthy yeast.

If I was to go again, I'd definitely do a starter. If I was after an underpitch, I'd aim to underpitch from a vibrant, ready to go starter, rather than relying on old yeasts to get up to speed quickly. If your yeast have been in the freezer for 5 months, you might want to give them some TLC and coax them awake before pitching...?

When I first started using kveik, the discussions claimed that to underpitch was king. From that, I inferred (tragically in hindsight) that starters were an unnecessary folly with regards to kveik. For my recent Stranda debacle (see posts above), I pitched the dry yeast straight into the fermenter. After 1-2 days, there was plenty-o-krausen. BUT there was a burned rubber/plastic smell and flavour which I suspect was down to underpitching a not maximally healthy yeast.

If I was to go again, I'd definitely do a starter. If I was after an underpitch, I'd aim to underpitch from a vibrant, ready to go starter, rather than relying on old yeasts to get up to speed quickly. If your yeast have been in the freezer for 5 months, you might want to give them some TLC and coax them awake before pitching...?
Very true, the yeast health is kind of unknown at this stage, and underpitching healthy yeast is different to underpitching unhealthy yeast. I will make a starter athumb..

When ever i have used the dried yeast from ebay i always made a starter and sometimes took days to get going. A very different experience to pitching some slurry.

Pitch them into a cooled cup of First runnings from the mash, they'll be up to speed by pitching time.

When ever i have used the dried yeast from ebay i always made a starter and sometimes took days to get going. A very different experience to pitching some slurry.
Is this a standard 1040 500ml starter? Do you add nutrient?

Back