Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really need to start building my stash so intend to use CML Kveik Voss in a MYO Lager kit, pitching the yeast into 30c wort and then fermenting at 35c.

Good or bad idea? Thanks.

I really need to start building my stash so intend to use CML Kveik Voss in a MYO Lager kit, pitching the yeast into 30c wort and then fermenting at 35c.

Good or bad idea? Thanks.
Voss isn't a good lager yeast. For fast lagers with kveik skare is good. Or lutra, but that is owned by omega labs

I use opshaug under pressure, around 30 degrees and let the pressure rise to about 30 psi towards end of ferment. Then let temperature naturally fall. After about 5 days cold crash, dropping the yeast out of the collection bottle when it fills. I try and balance pressure to temp as the beer cools for the target vols usually about 2.5.

I like my Voss, it's a very versatile yeast. If you ferment low (under 30celcius) you get clean beer. If you ferment high you get citrus y goodness. I ferment under pressure, about 22psi, and it's great. I'm also in love with my Horningdal. I've made a bunch of beers with it, mostly pale ale or low ibu beers. Soo good.

Attachments

• IMAG3848.jpg
    IMAG3848.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210510_181739_935.jpg
    IMG_20210510_181739_935.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210724_205034_692.jpg
    IMG_20210724_205034_692.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210319_215200_609.jpg
    IMG_20210319_215200_609.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210415_181256_343.jpg
    IMG_20210415_181256_343.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 0
I like my Voss, it's a very versatile yeast. If you ferment low (under 30celcius) you get clean beer. If you ferment high you get citrus y goodness. I ferment under pressure, about 22psi, and it's great. I'm also in love with my Horningdal. I've made a bunch of beers with it, mostly pale ale or low ibu beers. Soo good.
I've just ordered my first Kveik Hornindial yeast and have created a 4.2% Neipa test recipe in Brewfather using Mandarina,Citra & Amarillo hops and looking at your photos I can't wait to get it brewed!

I've just ordered my first Kveik Hornindial yeast and have created a 4.2% Neipa test recipe in Brewfather using Mandarina,Citra & Amarillo hops and looking at your photos I can't wait to get it brewed!
I’ve used the dried Hornindial from CML a couple of times now and it made some pretty good beer was fairly neutral flavour wise though this may be due to me fermenting below 30°C I certainly found with Voss you didn’t get any Citrus notes until I hit the mid thirties.

I’ve used the dried Hornindial from CML a couple of times now and it made some pretty good beer was fairly neutral flavour wise though this may be due to me fermenting below 30°C I certainly found with Voss you didn’t get any Citrus notes until I hit the mid thirties.
how do you find the CML Pliney?

Great choice with the Mandarina bavaria! It works very well with horningdal. I would go easy on the citra if you are fermenting high due to the yeast also giving some citrus. Also quick tip. If you plan to dryhop be sure to set to normal temps first. I find that if you dryhop in beer at 33celcius, the hops don't like it very much. 20c is a much better dryhop temp

Also if you like the pictures, check out my Instagram : Login • Instagram

Latest posts

Back