Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCat

Landlord.
Reaction score
East and West Grimblestbottom under the rye
Has anyone brewed with Kveik yeast? Its a Norwegian farmhouse strain that can tolerate temps up to a staggering 39c! I am using the Sigmund Giernes Voss yeasy which i believe has more than one strain in it. Can also be ready in a few weeks. I hope so. I will be using the following recipe;

3kg crisp organic pale malt
200g crisp organic crystal
300g flaked oats

Bittered to 20 IBU with Saaz and Tetnang.

The plan is to ferment 10l at 35c using temp controls on my boiler and putting the FV inside. The other 4l will be fermented around 10c so i can check the difference.

Such a violent fermentation its pushed starsan up past the ubend. Someone told me last night they use 1.5g per liter for carbing and bottle after 5 days.

Attachments

• 112.JPG
    112.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 315
Has anyone brewed with Kveik yeast? Its a Norwegian farmhouse strain that can tolerate temps up to a staggering 39c! I am using the Sigmund Giernes Voss yeasy which i believe has more than one strain in it. Can also be ready in a few weeks. I hope so. I will be using the following recipe;

3kg crisp organic pale malt
200g crisp organic crystal
300g flaked oats

Bittered to 20 IBU with Saaz and Tetnang.

The plan is to ferment 10l at 35c using temp controls on my boiler and putting the FV inside. The other 4l will be fermented around 10c so i can check the difference.
Cool! Been reading a bit about this yeast (Lars' Blog: http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/beer/http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/beer/) & would be interested to try. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts/tasting notes once it's done

Fermentation had stopped completely after 48 hours. Going to drop the temps later and find some suitable containers for the yeast. I wonder what this yeast would be like in a NEIPA. Certainly would cut down on fermentation times.

72 hours on and no krausen and its starting to clear. Am letting the temps drop then will bottle tomorrow. Might DH 5l. Sample tastes promising. Clean, tastes like its been in the bucket for a while. Also smells good. No yeast present and little hops. I did not do a flameout. Looking forward to trying this.

I bottled after 5 days and the beer was pale and reasonably clear. 4.5% ABV 77% attenuation. Beer was very promising. I Was not picking up a lot in the way of esters but it was clean with a subtle bitterness. It smelled of beer with no yeast detectable. Quite amazing really considering was only 5 days old. You could keg it and drink straight away. So i bottled it with 1/2 tsp per 500ml and a few bottles around 1/4 tps per 500ml. I accidentally opened one a few hours later and it hissed. Again amazing as the beer was around 8c when i bottled it and had without doubt finished fermenting. Will be trying this at the weekend. APparantly this yeast can ferment up to 13% ABV so thinking about doing a small batch RIS with an double mash.

Apparantly this yeast can ferment up to 13% ABV so thinking about doing a small batch RIS with an double mash.

I'm very tempted to play about with these yeasts too, but I've got a few other brews lined up first. Have you seen David Heath's videos on youtube? His last brew was a fast RIS using kveik yeast, didn't do a re-iterated mash and just used a bunch of candi sugar instead but he was going for as quick as possible to prove a point.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts at the weekend.

Glad to be of help, I've just bought the same strain on the Kveik facebook group to play about with. If it's usable in a few styles of beer then it might allow me to brew twice in my 3 weeks at home, regular yeast pushes the timing a bit tight. I see you got 77% attenuation, what temperature did you mash at?

Pitching at 30c sounds like a dream. It always seems to be the last few degrees that take the longest when chilling.

Glad to be of help, I've just bought the same strain on the Kveik facebook group to play about with. If it's usable in a few styles of beer then it might allow me to brew twice in my 3 weeks at home, regular yeast pushes the timing a bit tight. I see you got 77% attenuation, what temperature did you mash at?
65c if i remember correctly. Cool you got some yeast, i would of sent you some but probably quicker from Norway knowing me. Going to try a few raw beers with it next. Might have a crack at a raw NEIPA. Love to hear how you get on.

@Brew_DD2 Yes especially the summer. It can ferment up to 40c. My heat belt melted the plastic the FV was sitting on though so i have to buy a decent heat pad next or set up a water bath in one of my boilers.

65c if i remember correctly. Cool you got some yeast, i would of sent you some but probably quicker from Norway knowing me. Going to try a few raw beers with it next. Might have a crack at a raw NEIPA. Love to hear how you get on.
Ah well, thanks anyways, hadn't occurred to me to ask. :blush: I'll keep you informed of what I do and how it performs, my next beer is a milk stout which was going to get some Wyeast 1728 Scottish ale but might test out the kveik to get it drinking sooner.

Got myself a vial of Gjernres kveik being sent over from Norway next week, so looking forward to trying it. See the Kveik group on Facebook if yr interested

Back