Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not sure St Austell would distribute their small batch brews to Tesco. I think they just send them out to their tied pubs all over cornwall. I go to Cornwall every couple of months or so as I have relatives who live in newquay. I once had a mild/lactose mild which was a st austell small batch brew. It was lovely
They never used to but I can now get Big Job, and their saison in Tesco on 4 for 6 a lot of the time. When I lived in cornwall you could only get big Job from the brewery shop!

They never used to but I can now get Big Job, and their saison in Tesco on 4 for 6 a lot of the time. When I lived in cornwall you could only get big Job from the brewery shop!

That's interesting. I guess they would only distribute the most successful small batch brews to Tesco. Im guessing a milk/lactose mild wont be coming to Tesco old kent road any time soon asad.

That's weird. I've made a lot of low OG batches with Voss Kveik and they've fermented almost too low. Last one finished at 1008. One tspoon of nutrients 15 min before end of boil. I love the stuff. My beers have never been this good. I ferment under pressure in a fermentasaurus. A lot of pressure. 28 psi the last time.
I think the real issue is over pitching. I posted my issues in a facebook group and apparently over pitching will cause all the nutrients to be consumed very early on, leading to a sluggish fermentation. With the beer I made on Saturday I put in a tsp of nutrients and a small amount of yeast (previously I'd try and pitch a "normal" amount), I took a reading last, down from 1.048 to ~1029. Probably won't be done in 3 days so far going faster. It's fermenting just under 40.

Looking for some general advice...

I'm going to brew a variant of the Black Forest Porter from Vibrant Forest Brewery and wanted to do a split batch, one with the recipe's yeast (Safale S-04 from memory) and the other with Voss Kveik. Can anyone recommend where to get the Kveik from and how much I should pitch, from reading this thread it looks like people pitch a teaspoon?

I'd be brewing around a 40 litre batch so 20 litres in each FV.

Hate to pester but I was hoping to buy the grain and yeast by Friday so I can brew next weekend. Can anyone make a recommendation on where to get some from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you don’t have a homebrew shop nearby, Malt Miller do next day delivery if you are happy to pay the extra for it. Next day delivery is free if you spend over £100. The Homebrew Company deliver in 2-3 days so that might be cutting it fine.

They both sell a range of kveik.

I'm pretty sure Big Job is brewed for Tesco under license in Burton

I'm thinking of using Hornidal or Bjorn for my low abv beer (3.5%) OG 1.033 https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/877109/creatures-great-or-small-kviek Do you think I would need some yeast nutrients to help it? if so how much. I always use Tesco Ashbeck water.
I have only brewed with reverse osmosis water and I always use 2.5g of wyeast beer nutrient with each batch. Around 27 liters.
Other people have said low OG beers can stall but I have never had this problem with kveik or any other yeast.
Some people seem to think it's best to pitch everything from the kettle for added nutrients which I do as I no chill.
If you can hold the temperature in the thirties it should ferment out in a day. I turn the heat let off after 48 hours and let it drop to ambient temperature.
Never had an issue with over pitching but it's not necessary.

Thanks for the help guys, I ordered it all from the Malt Miller, ended up going with Fermentum Mobile's Voss Kveik.

How would I go about harvesting this yeast after it has finished fermenting the beer, I've bought some kilner jars to store it in but do I collect some of the Krausen or the yeast cake? Sorry it might be a bit of stupid question but I've never done it before.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I ordered it all from the Malt Miller, ended up going with Fermentum Mobile's Voss Kveik.

How would I go about harvesting this yeast after it has finished fermenting the beer, I've bought some kilner jars to store it in but do I collect some of the Krausen or the trub? Sorry it might be a bit of stupid question but I've never done it before.

You can do both from the same brew. Forumite @davidheath has a good youtube vid on top cropping

Bottom harvesting is even easier. After you've racked the beer off the yeast cake simple tip it into a (sanitised) jar and keep it in the fridge. No need to rinse it or anything. When it comes to using it simply pour some into your wort (if you've had it in the fridge longer than two weeks or so do the following) or take a little and put it in a starter

I have now completed 3 brews using kviek. First was an American wheat with huel Mellon and mandarin which is a low abv of 4%. This turned out well after initially not being to sure. The second was David heath's Vienna lager which tastes nice but is to dark for the style. Still need to look into why. The third is stout which is getting bottled at the weekend. This smells really good in the fermentor. What styles has most people having success with. I am looking at maybe trying a black German lager next. Brewing at below 25 degrees. The stout and wheat were pitched at the higher end of the scale at 37

I have now completed 3 brews using kviek. First was an American wheat with huel Mellon and mandarin which is a low abv of 4%. This turned out well after initially not being to sure. The second was David heath's Vienna lager which tastes nice but is to dark for the style. Still need to look into why. The third is stout which is getting bottled at the weekend. This smells really good in the fermentor. What styles has most people having success with. I am looking at maybe trying a black German lager next. Brewing at below 25 degrees. The stout and wheat were pitched at the higher end of the scale at 37

Which kviek strain did you use?

The one given to me by Dan. I believe it's the farmhouse strain of Voss.

Its called Opshaug no43. Its not Voss which is no1 on the kveik registry. My first batch (1040 ish OG) did not carb and i lost interest in kveik until i started kegging. As for styles works with porter, stout, RIS, wheat beer, hoppy beers, bitter. If you want to make a warm fermented lager i would recommend mangrove jacks cali lager. I did not enjoy the lager i fermented with framgarden but Voss or a different kveik may work better.

How would I go about harvesting this yeast after it has finished fermenting the beer, I've bought some kilner jars to store it in but do I collect some of the Krausen or the yeast cake? Sorry it might be a bit of stupid question but I've never done it before.
Voss is intended to be bottom harvested.
Check the registry.
http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/farmhouse/kveik.html

If you don't have a flask make a starter in a 2l coke bottle. Take some wort from the brew and dilute it to 1040 and pitch the yeast. By the time you finish it will be fermenting and you can use a portion of that. Give the starter wort a 5m boil to sterilise it. You can also try top cropping and then you van use the yeast indefinitely.

If you don't have a flask make a starter in a 2l coke bottle. Take some wort from the brew and dilute it to 1040 and pitch the yeast. By the time you finish it will be fermenting and you can use a portion of that. Give the starter wort a 5m boil to sterilise it. You can also try top cropping and then you van use the yeast indefinitely.
Would you still only pitch a teaspoon from a starter like this or would you need to pitch more?

Stranda is available on ebay in dried form. Link here.

I did a mixed pitch of Voss and Framgarden on Saturday. Top cropped the yeast yesterday and fermentation seemed to have finished.
Thanks for that - being able to buy dried kveik is great.
If anyone buys any of this, it’d be great if you could report back. I’m interested in how much yeast they’d send.

Latest posts

Back