Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, it's a ridiculous phrase saved for 1960s bond villains.

Sobriety?? Sounds awful!

EDIT: In all seriousness, I didn't get into homebrewing for a fast paced action packed hobby, but if I can cut down wait time from 4-5 weeks to 2-3 that would be a good result.

The phrase goes back much further than the 1960's. It's attributed to Benjamin Franklin in the 18th century - bleedin' go gettin' colonials (apologies to any American forumites :laugh8: )

Pressure fermenting is a cool idea and all, but I have noticed a trend over the past couple of years or so. People wanting to brew faster and faster. Short boils/mash's, kveiks fermented in a week, etc. I wonder what all the rush is. I like a nice slow relaxing brew day. If I'm running out of beer I either just stop drinking until my next batch is done (gives my liver a rest) or just make a bigger batch next time so I dont run out

I don't think it is necessarily all to rush. A lot of it has come from challenging conventional wisdom on mash and boil lengths etc. that have originated from the pro brewer world. I suppose people have busy lives too.

I don't think it is necessarily all to rush. A lot of it has come from challenging conventional wisdom on mash and boil lengths etc. that have originated from the pro brewer world. I suppose people have busy lives too.

I guess your right. Not everyone can spend a leisurely afternoon brewing and drinking tea

I really like Dr Hanz, I just got into his channel. I saw the video where he made a lager in 3 days in his fermentasaurus and posts it to a couple of other vloggers. Their reactions when they eat these Swedish sweets was hilarious as well. I'll have a look out for that video.

I have a fermzilla on the way, I definitely want to experiment with pressure fermenting to speed things up. I find even with healthy pitch rates my fermentations tend to take longer than average.
I've got the old one. (jealous) it's great. My beers have been lifted a lot since I've started using it. I've fermented up to 28 psi of pressure with kveik. Giving me an almost carbonated beer at 30 degrees right from the barrel. I then cold crash and serve directly from it. It's awesome.

I made a very nice no boil stout with Voss. Fermented at 35c, tastes clean and malty. Also cleared without finings. Cannot comment on the other yeasts yet, not had time to test them.
Love to know how they go when you use them?

I went with the Stranda in the end, it’s bubbling away in the ferm fridge now. Pitched at around 30c and I’ve left the fridge and heater off. I plan on adding a couple or three bags of thawed morello cherries once fermentation dies off. I’m looking forward to drinking it already

I may have missed it but can someone recommend a yeast nutrient? Was hoping to pick something up off eBay. Is beer and wine nutrient the same thing?

I may have missed it but can someone recommend a yeast nutrient? Was hoping to pick something up off eBay. Is beer and wine nutrient the same thing?
This one is the one I use and it hasn't failed me yet. 1 tspoon, 15min before end of boil.
IMAG4006.jpg

I'm currently waiting on an order from GEB with this, I'm going to use it to ferment an Alesmith IPA clone so fingers crossed.
Did you end up brewing with this yeast in the end? My order has just arrived. Wondering whether to pitch the whole vial, half the vial, or make a 500ml starter and pitch a tsp of slurry.

Did you end up brewing with this yeast in the end? My order has just arrived. Wondering whether to pitch the whole vial, half the vial, or make a 500ml starter and pitch a tsp of slurry.
I haven't had chance to brew yet, hoping to brew the Alesmith clone on the 3rd November, I'll most likely pitch the whole vial and then top or bottom crop the yeast. What are you plaining to brew with it?

I haven't had chance to brew yet, hoping to brew the Alesmith clone on the 3rd November, I'll most likely pitch the whole vial and then top or bottom crop the yeast. What are you plaining to brew with it?
I was gonna make a stout, but think I might make something with some homegrown hops. I'm fermenting in a glass demijohn which previously was infected, so I should stick to something simple in case the infection is still there. Whilst I really wanna use my hops, probably best to leave it in case they get wasted. Will go for an oatmeal stout or something.

I was gonna make a stout, but think I might make something with some homegrown hops. I'm fermenting in a glass demijohn which previously was infected, so I should stick to something simple in case the infection is still there. Whilst I really wanna use my hops, probably best to leave it in case they get wasted. Will go for an oatmeal stout or something.
Fair enough! I've just kegged a coffee porter that I fermented with Voss Kveik and I'm really happy with it so I've got my fingers crossed that this Opshaug is another winner.

Doing another raw beer tonight.
2.5kg German pale
1.7kg wheat malt
250g caramalt
150g acid malt

I have some citra and motueka for flavour and some zues for bittering. Going to dry hop with centennial and it will be my first time using the juggernaut kveik blend.

I made a stout today, 1.058 OG with nutrients, pitched WLP518 at around 4:30 and nothing happening in the fermenter yet at 11pm. Some reviews say it should be going by now, but I think the wort was too cool for optimum pitching temperature.

Can you just keep reusing them? Or would you rather do starter, use some forthe brew and store the rest?

I know David Heath did Vienna Lager with Voss, I just wonder if anyone else tried it and how was the result. Did it taste like lager? I think Brulosophy did one, and conlusion was it didn't, but still good beer

Back