Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Want to try this yeast in a simple cascade smash. Couple of questions, how hot do I need to get it. I have one tube heater in my fridge and not sure what the upper limits are. Second, which yeast should I go for in this scenario?

Thanks
You can ferment at just about any temperature you want. In general you get more flavour from it the hotter you get it, but I have some anecdotal experience of getting a lot of almost funky flavour doing it cool also.

I've enjoyed ebbgarten and hornindal, both give out a lot of tropical fruit, I think ebb enhances bitterness a bit though also. Honestly though I started out using lots of tropical American hops to go with the flavours but ended up preferring to let the yeast carry the weight and used small amounts of lighter hops like ekg.

Voss would work well I'm sure. Other than those I don't have any experience, Oslo is most lager like.

Have a espe culture I bought off eBay which is pretty sour, might not recommend that.

Certainly if you can be bothered, although I've used jars of slurry from older that have taken off within 24hrs.
What I think I'll do is make an extra 5 litres of beer in my next batch and put it in a small demijohn, then chuck in the slurry from this to see what happens.

I also found a brown ale I made with kveik, possibly Hornindal, and have saved the dregs from a couple of bottles. That I will make a starter first.

I've used Voss isolate, but not the real deal.
Have a nice single hop black ipa with horn and Columbus that works well. Probably would have been better with Voss though

Farmhouse Hornindal made some nice beer, used it 3 or 4 times and seemed pretty clean similar to Voss. The isolate Hornindal is meant to be very fruity but i have never tried it. I have Framgarden if you want to try that as well. I just need to find something to put it in.

Want to try this yeast in a simple cascade smash. Couple of questions, how hot do I need to get it. I have one tube heater in my fridge and not sure what the upper limits are. Second, which yeast should I go for in this scenario?

Thanks

If you want a fast turnaround 35c is a good start. I use a 50 or 80w heat belt but your tube heater should work. Voss or Hornindal would be a good start. If you cant ferment warm it is going to take the same amount of time as a normal yeast but it may condition faster especially if its a high strength beer. I turn my session beers around in a week. Grain to glass.

Thanks Beercat and Divrack. I reckon Voss is the place to start.

One last thing, say I ferment it can I dump another brew straight on the slurry to re use?

Was looking at the seller YeasterBunnyBrewing on ebay, there are some strains they sell which contain bacteria. I'm half way through the book American Sour Beers which makes clear to make a traditional sour you need to leave the bugs fermenting for up to a year. Is it the case with these strains or can a kveik like Simonaitis create a sour beer in a matter of days, in true kveik fashion?

Also has anyone bought from the seller before?

Was looking at the seller YeasterBunnyBrewing on ebay, there are some strains they sell which contain bacteria. I'm half way through the book American Sour Beers which makes clear to make a traditional sour you need to leave the bugs fermenting for up to a year. Is it the case with these strains or can a kveik like Simonaitis create a sour beer in a matter of days, in true kveik fashion?

Also has anyone bought from the seller before?

I’ve bought from the seller a couple of times, never had an issue other than one strain took a couple of days to start. I’d recommend rehydrating the yeast in some first runnings from the mash. Certainly helps with fermentation. I usually pitch 1.8g (dry) of which ever kveik I’m using into about 100ml of wort at roughly 35c - 40c. This gets pitched after the boil as usual

I’ve bought from the seller a couple of times, never had an issue other than one strain took a couple of days to start. I’d recommend rehydrating the yeast in some first runnings from the mash. Certainly helps with fermentation. I usually pitch 1.8g (dry) of which ever kveik I’m using into about 100ml of wort at roughly 35c - 40c. This gets pitched after the boil as usual
Thanks. They do have a good feedback score but always good to hear any recommendations.

I've not rehydrated in first runnings before but sounds like a good idea. Do you put it on a stirplate or just leave it?

Thanks. They do have a good feedback score but always good to hear any recommendations.

I've not rehydrated in first runnings before but sounds like a good idea. Do you put it on a stirplate or just leave it?

I just have it in a cereal bowl on the side covered in cling film. Give it a gentle swirl every half hour or so

Thanks Beercat and Divrack. I reckon Voss is the place to start.

One last thing, say I ferment it can I dump another brew straight on the slurry to re use?

Yes indefinitely in theory although all of it would be considered over pitching. If you don't want to make a starter i would split the slurry in 3 jars and pitch one, save the rest.

Farmhouse Hornindal made some nice beer, used it 3 or 4 times and seemed pretty clean similar to Voss. The isolate Hornindal is meant to be very fruity but i have never tried it. I have Framgarden if you want to try that as well. I just need to find something to put it in.
Aye, awesome.. I've got my weight in malt sitting at the front door to get through so why not.. I've probably got a bunch of old yeast vials kicking about. I could send you some if you want with some fuggles or ctz hops, going to the postie anyway.

Aye, awesome.. I've got my weight in malt sitting at the front door to get through so why not.. I've probably got a bunch of old yeast vials kicking about. I could send you some if you want with some fuggles or ctz hops, going to the postie anyway.
I could do with some hops as it goes. Will DM you. I found a couple of vials but i still need to knock up the Voss, hopefully today. Thanks mate.

Did beer using top cropped Lellemand Voss. Just added 1 tea spoon of this - I think that how much Kveik you suppose to use (under pitching).
When I did beer using whole packet it has finished after 3 days at 30C. This time it took bit longer, 5 days -I think less yeast. But it took off really quickly, nest day after pitching there was nice krausen.
Will package into keg probably today and do taste test in a week or so.

Yes indefinitely in theory although all of it would be considered over pitching. If you don't want to make a starter i would split the slurry in 3 jars and pitch one, save the rest.

Thanks. So if I was to get a single 11g pack I shouldn't use it all in a 23l brew?

Thanks

I could do with some hops as it goes. Will DM you. I found a couple of vials but i still need to knock up the Voss, hopefully today. Thanks mate.
I've got you address from a year or so ago. Same one? I'll Chuck in 225g free of either.

What I think I'll do is make an extra 5 litres of beer in my next batch and put it in a small demijohn, then chuck in the slurry from this to see what happens.

I also found a brown ale I made with kveik, possibly Hornindal, and have saved the dregs from a couple of bottles. That I will make a starter first.
I brewed an imperial stout on the 20th March and pitched two teaspoons of Voss that I had sitting in the fridge from September. At 33 degrees C it finished in about 3 days from 1.074 to 1.013 so it does seem to keep pretty well

Are you buying the Lallemond dried or getting liquid? If its the dried David Heath has a video on it. If liquid people seem to recommend a teaspoon, i generally use a bit more.

The dried Lallemond version.

Will check out his video!

Are you buying the Lallemond dried or getting liquid? If its the dried David Heath has a video on it. If liquid people seem to recommend a teaspoon, i generally use a bit more.

About to make a smash using the Voss strain. How long should it take to bottle condition? Do you need to bottle condition at a high temp as well?

Thanks

I just made a pale ale with sabro/cascade. Finished the boil yesterday at about 3 in the morning. So in 20 hours the krausen has come and almost left, it seems to be clearing a little already. I used the lallemand dried Voss yeast, pitched at 38degrees and just left the fermzilla there with a Jersey on (my brew fridge is occupied). The fermenter is still hot. I frigging love this yeast. And the smell! Those sabro hops smell so good! Wow.

I'm fermenting under pressure at 12 psi.

Attachments

• BeerCalc_ Sabro_Cascade Kveik Pale Ale.pdf
    14.9 KB · Views: 243
Back