Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll let you know if it comes out sour. If all goes well I'm very happy to post some flakes or a bottle of beer once I can safely go to the post office again.
Thanks for the offer. I'm actually curious now whether we have the same, but they've amended the info. If not I've some lactobacillus planterum I could co-pitch if needed. I'm looking forward to doing a Vossaøl and an IPA with this.

Thanks. I'm also not a Facebook user (walled garden, privacy concerns, blah blah), but do appreciate the pointer to the Norwegian homebrew website. I'll try over there.
I just bought yeast from this eBay seller. Whilst it's not arrived yet, they have been recommended to me by another forumite and elsewhere as well as having very good feedback.

PayPal and eBay are separate companies now, so by buying through eBay it has nothing to do with PayPal and this seller accepts other forms of payment.

I just bought yeast from this eBay seller. Whilst it's not arrived yet, they have been recommended to me by another forumite and elsewhere as well as having very good feedback.

PayPal and eBay are separate companies now, so by buying through eBay it has nothing to do with PayPal and this seller accepts other forms of payment.

Thanks for that. I did see this listing on eBay. The item says it's located in Hungary, which is convenient for me, but then the Business Seller Information at the bottom of the page is the UK. Made me think a little. Sure, perhaps it's just being fulfilled from Hungary, but wondered why. I also wondered, as they're located just around the corner from me (well 4 hours drive anyway), whether they had any other sales outlet besides eBay, but couldn't find one.

Maybe I'll take a chance, especially if I can avoid Paypal payment processing.

Edit: Perfect. Worked a treat with just a Mastercard. Still seemed to be processed by Paypal, but at least I didn't need to sign up for an account with them or eBay. Ordered four different types. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I've ordered from them. Quick delivery, which leads me to think that they are UK-based. The yeast was brilliant as well. Fermented out a 1.080 gravity in 3 days. Mental.

Thanks. I'm also not a Facebook user (walled garden, privacy concerns, blah blah), but do appreciate the pointer to the Norwegian homebrew website. I'll try over there.
Yeah man I don't use Facebook anymore either. Norbrygg.no is by far the biggest homebrew site in Norway. Just open a new tread there. I'm sure someone will answer.

Thanks for that. I did see this listing on eBay. The item says it's located in Hungary, which is convenient for me, but then the Business Seller Information at the bottom of the page is the UK. Made me think a little. Sure, perhaps it's just being fulfilled from Hungary, but wondered why. I also wondered, as they're located just around the corner from me (well 4 hours drive anyway), whether they had any other sales outlet besides eBay, but couldn't find one.

Maybe I'll take a chance, especially if I can avoid Paypal payment processing.

Edit: Perfect. Worked a treat with just a Mastercard. Still seemed to be processed by Paypal, but at least I didn't need to sign up for an account with them or eBay. Ordered four different types. Thanks again.
Awesome, good luck with it all and let us know how your beers come out. What types did you order?

Awesome, good luck with it all and let us know how your beers come out. What types did you order?

I went with:

#5 Hornindal
Taste: Soft, milky caramel with mushroom and tropical fruit notes.

#8 Tormodgarden
Nothing here on Larsblog about the taste, but the provenance intrigued me:

Provenance: His grandfather always claimed the yeast had been on the farm since the farm was founded in the 16th century. He knows for certain that his great-grandfather used it. It's probably been mixed with other yeasts. He knows for certain that this happened in the 1950s. That yeast came from Straumsdalen in nearby Skodje.

#11 Lida
Taste: Soft, fruity, milky caramel aroma.

#20 Espe
Taste: Warm alcohol and fruit: cognac and plums.

Some of the taste descriptions differ somewhat from what's on the eBay listing, but I think I'm more likely to trust the information on Larsblog.

I like making stouts and porters. I hope the above yeasts, with the listed tastes, will go well with those styles.

I have a stout on at the moment with Lallemand Voss, which apparently gives orange peel overtones when fermented hot. I have been fermenting between 36-39 degrees C.

I went with:

#5 Hornindal
Taste: Soft, milky caramel with mushroom and tropical fruit notes.

#8 Tormodgarden
Nothing here on Larsblog about the taste, but the provenance intrigued me:

Provenance: His grandfather always claimed the yeast had been on the farm since the farm was founded in the 16th century. He knows for certain that his great-grandfather used it. It's probably been mixed with other yeasts. He knows for certain that this happened in the 1950s. That yeast came from Straumsdalen in nearby Skodje.

#11 Lida
Taste: Soft, fruity, milky caramel aroma.

#20 Espe
Taste: Warm alcohol and fruit: cognac and plums.

Some of the taste descriptions differ somewhat from what's on the eBay listing, but I think I'm more likely to trust the information on Larsblog.

I like making stouts and porters. I hope the above yeasts, with the listed tastes, will go well with those styles.

I have a stout on at the moment with Lallemand Voss, which apparently gives orange peel overtones when fermented hot. I have been fermenting between 36-39 degrees C.
My first foray into Kveik was Omega Voss which I used to ferment a gose. It went really well in that style and the orange came through, sat nicely with the coriander, salt and subtle sourness.

Hornindal and Lida sound great for stouts. Mushroom flavour in beer though? That would be interesting (although I hate mushrooms!). Espe sounds like it would go well in a RIS, Baltic porter or even a dark Belgian beer.

If I was looking for two Kveik yeasts on Ebay, one 'fruity' for NEIPA's, IPA's, Pales etc and one 'weird, funky, Belgian-ish' for more malt-centric styles, which two should I go for ?

Last edited:
If I was looking for two Kveik yeasts on Ebay, one 'fruity' for NEIPA's, IPA's, Pales etc and one 'weird, funky, Belgian-ish' for more malt-centric styles, which two should I go for ?

It seems to be a defining characteristic of the "true" Norwegian kveiks that they aren't phenolic, which is what I assume you mean by "Belgianish", but they start becoming phenolic as you go east into the Baltics. Jovaru and Simonaitis are the only two that are readily available that are phenolic.

Hornindal and Ebbegarden are good places to start if you want fruity - and they're a bit better characterised than some out there.

Does anybody have experience using the Granvin kveik? the registry doesn't give a flavour profile and milk the funk lists quite the variety..

@ Northern_Brewer Thanks for the info. I phrased the question badly, I just wanted to know which of the yeasts' would work best in a hoppy style and which in a malt-forward beer ( with a grainbill similar to a Belgian beer ). I'll try the Ebbegarden or Hornindal for a hoppy beer. Maybe the Espe would be worth a try in a malt-forward beer.

I've just bought two strains from yeaserbunnybrewing on ebay. I don't have a brew fridge so I wanted some hot fermenting yeasts for the summer.

I've got Stranda and Oslo coming:

Stranda is described as tropical, pineapple, mango, banana and maxes out at 16% abv. I'm thinking juicy IPAs for this and even a fruity wheat.

Oslo is neutral, clean, crisp, and lager like - max abv 10%. So, well, a lager-like I guess? I really fancy brewing a lager for some reason and it's way too warm for a proper one.

I've ordered from them. Quick delivery, which leads me to think that they are UK-based. The yeast was brilliant as well. Fermented out a 1.080 gravity in 3 days. Mental.

My kveik from this eBay seller arrived today. It is postmarked in Budapest. Nice packaging though and quite quick delivery.

IMG_20200511_093157.jpg

IMG_20200511_093232.jpg

Brewed with kveik Voss recently, a wheat beer. I had a taste as I was transferring and it tasted kind of 'musty' almost 'mouldy'. Is this normal for Kveik to have a musty taste (I probably had a bit of trub in my glass) or have I effed something up elsewhere?

I've just bought two strains from yeaserbunnybrewing on ebay. I don't have a brew fridge so I wanted some hot fermenting yeasts for the summer.

I've got Stranda and Oslo coming:

Stranda is described as tropical, pineapple, mango, banana and maxes out at 16% abv. I'm thinking juicy IPAs for this and even a fruity wheat.

Oslo is neutral, clean, crisp, and lager like - max abv 10%. So, well, a lager-like I guess? I really fancy brewing a lager for some reason and it's way too warm for a proper one.
I've just received my Oslo from that seller. I think I'll have to wait for it to warm up a bit before trying it out though. Do you have a recipe planned?
I have a dehydrator, so once I've used it I'm going to try drying it for future use/distribution amongst us lot.

Latest posts

Back