Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just received my Oslo from that seller. I think I'll have to wait for it to warm up a bit before trying it out though. Do you have a recipe planned?
I have a dehydrator, so once I've used it I'm going to try drying it for future use/distribution amongst us lot.
I'm not entirely sure yet, I haven't got any pilsner malt. I've got some Maris Otter and extra pale base malt, and some Munich and maybe some Vienna if I haven't already used it. So any combination of those with some Saaz I think. Maybe I'll experiment with Hull Melon, I've not used that yet.

Brewed this beginning of the month with Voss. A super easy beer for a beginner could be ready to keg in a week or less.

Hoppy Pale

OG 1041 FG 1008
2.8kg bestmalz pislner
1.4kg uk wheat
150g acid malt
mashed at 65c for 2 hours
75c mashout.
I took out the grain bag and brought the wort up to 75c and added 50g amarillo, 50g citra for 30m and put in no chill cube.
Boiled 10g citra in 1l of water for 30m with nutrient and added that to the cube as well
fermented at 35c
Dry hopped with 40g amarillo and 60g citra a few days later. Realised it was still on 35c so i turned off the heat. Left it 2 weeks and got around to kegging tonight. Tastes great, fresh, a bit zingy, fruity aroma. The high temp dry hop does not seem to have caused any problems.

Last edited:
Today I received Skare and Ebbegarden. With Skare I'm gonna make a Cali common type beer and with Ebbegarden will see how sour it gets. I'll do a starter the night before at 35c to grow the lactobacillus and pitch it the next day. The recipe for that is just 5kg MO. I think I shared the other recipe here but happy to again if anyone is interested.

@jceg316 It is recommended you make a buffered lacto starter but i keep forgetting and it still works. Instructions and some awesome info on sours here. Had much better success using a starter than just adding sourpitch.
I did another no boil wheat at the weekend fermented with juggernaut then added lacto after 24 hours. Tastes like blackberry. Will dryhop/tea with citra and el dorado. Also works well at 25c if you cant hold high temps.

It is recommended you make a buffered lacto starter but i keep forgetting and it still works. Instructions and some awesome info on sours here. Had much better success using a starter than just adding sourpitch.
Is this specifically with Ebbegarden or other sour kveik yeasts? I think sourpitch was made with kettle souring in mind, although not sure if it really matters when it's used, lacto is lacto!

Your Juggernaut brew sounds awesome! How long does it take for the lacto to work, and are you dry hopping to kill it off as well as flavour?

I'm looking for a convenient and quick way to make a regular sour beer. I've tried kettle souring before but it didn't really work out. I'm thinking traditional souring (post fermentation) would be better. I have an SS fermenter so can easily sterilise with boiling water if needed.

@jceg316 I am not using sour yeast. Adding the lacto separately after fermentation has started. You can pitch yeast and lacto at the same time but if you want more flavour from the yeast you can add lacto later. Make a starter as described in the link above. Not really worried about killing the lacto off, the hops are for flavour and can be added when you reach the desired level of sourness. A lot of people are doing these with spraymalt and adding fruit.
If you ferment on the warm side you should be able to turn it around in a week to 10 days. I have fermented at 25c for a week then added a lacto starter and a week later was fully soured so seems pretty flexible.
Hopefully makes sense. Super easy method and hard to mess up,

I've had a go at drying some kveik.

Basically, I top cropped following roughly this video:

And I dried, roughly along the lines shown in this video:

I've done it now for two kveiks, originally purchased from the eBay seller YeasterBunny. So frankly, I don't know what "generation" removed from the farmhouse these yeasts are, but it might not entirely matter. The two yeasts are Lida and Hornindal.

For the Lida, I top cropped at 48 hours into the fermentation, then rinsed three times over the course of the last week. The brew the yeast was extracted from is a stout.

The Hornindal was also top cropped, but at about 40 hours as per the note at the link above, also rinsed three times over the last week. The brew the yeast was extracted from is a 100% rye beer.

photo_2020-05-24_20-10-45.jpg

photo_2020-05-24_20-19-51.jpg

photo_2020-05-24_20-10-50.jpg

photo_2020-05-24_20-10-54.jpg

photo_2020-05-24_20-11-01.jpg

As you can see from the pics (Lida kveik), I don't have loads but should be enough for a good few future batches.

Although I'm in Austria, if anyone is interested in a small amount of these yeasts, I'd be happy to post some to you. Send me a message on here and we can arrange it.

Thanks @BeerCat I'll give that a proper read tonight. Really appreciate the help!

@phillc do you save the slurry as well? I have Skare and Ebbegarden I'm gonna try top cropping and drying, and will also try open fermenting latter at some point. I'm really interested to hear how the stout came out.

@phillc do you save the slurry as well? I have Skare and Ebbegarden I'm gonna try top cropping and drying, and will also try open fermenting latter at some point. I'm really interested to hear how the stout came out.

The brew is still in the fermenter, so no I haven't yet saved the slurry. I wasn't really planning to either. Both Lida and Hornindal are listed as "top crop". I'm sure saving the slurry would probably work too. Do you think it's worth doing?

I also did the same stout with Lallemand Voss, so will be able to compare with Lida. The Voss Stout has been maturing for about 2 weeks now, so isn't far off being ready for a taste test.

I've had a go at drying some kveik.

Basically, I top cropped following roughly this video:

And I dried, roughly along the lines shown in this video:

I've done it now for two kveiks, originally purchased from the eBay seller YeasterBunny. So frankly, I don't know what "generation" removed from the farmhouse these yeasts are, but it might not entirely matter. The two yeasts are Lida and Hornindal.

For the Lida, I top cropped at 48 hours into the fermentation, then rinsed three times over the course of the last week. The brew the yeast was extracted from is a stout.

The Hornindal was also top cropped, but at about 40 hours as per the note at the link above, also rinsed three times over the last week. The brew the yeast was extracted from is a 100% rye beer.

View attachment 26461

View attachment 26457

View attachment 26460

View attachment 26459

View attachment 26458

As you can see from the pics (Lida kveik), I don't have loads but should be enough for a good few future batches.

Although I'm in Austria, if anyone is interested in a small amount of these yeasts, I'd be happy to post some to you. Send me a message on here and we can arrange it.

How long did it take to dry out?

How long did it take to dry out?

I probably should have mentioned that. I had it in the oven for three hours with just the fan on. No heating, as the oven only seems to start at 50 degrees. I guess the time would differ depending on how thick the layer of yeast is. Temperature inside the oven, when scientifically measured with a hand held thermometer, was a touch over 25 degrees C.

I probably should have mentioned that. I had it in the oven for three hours with just the fan on. No heating, as the oven only seems to start at 50 degrees. I guess the time would differ depending on how thick the layer of yeast is. Temperature inside the oven, when scientifically measured with a hand held thermometer, was a touch over 25 degrees C.

No heat at all? In the vid he had the oven heated at the lowest setting but with the door open. Did you have the oven door open?

No heat at all? In the vid he had the oven heated at the lowest setting but with the door open. Did you have the oven door open?

No heat at all. As I said, the oven dial starts at 50 degrees and I had read that drying should be around 30 degrees. When I was seeing 25 degrees with just the fan (which also kicks in the internal light, which I'm sure generates some warmth) I thought I was close enough.

I didn't initially have the door open, but came back 30 minutes later to see the Mrs had stuck a wooden spoon handle in there to prop the door open a centimetre or so. I didn't dare touch it after that.

No heat at all. As I said, the oven dial starts at 50 degrees and I had read that drying should be around 30 degrees. When I was seeing 25 degrees with just the fan (which also kicks in the internal light, which I'm sure generates some warmth) I thought I was close enough.

I didn't initially have the door open, but came back 30 minutes later to see the Mrs had stuck a wooden spoon handle in there to prop the door open a centimetre or so. I didn't dare touch it after that.

I think I might have a go with he oven door open with the heat on the lowest as I'm unable turn just the fan on alone on my oven. I did have a go at drying some liberty bell a few months ago. I dried it with just the oven light. But it took about 3 days to dry out

Back