Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What attenuation %'s have people been getting with the CML Kviek?
With the rice lager 85% but of course that had a kilo of rice and a low mash temp.
The beers I've got going right now look like they're going to be about 78%. That's temp adjusted from 35c as I'm letting them free fall overnight so I'll let you know.

I read somewhere it says from 75 to 82%. Might have beent the website.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a kveik strain good for stouts?

Did you get any of the fruit flavours or did you ferment cold to get a cleaner yeast profile?

Warmest I went was 32c. I used a fair amount of hops, so I can't really speak to the any esters that might've been present. Tastes pretty clean to me though.

The CML Kristalweizen I put in at the same time as the voss at 39c has brewed out faster. May be due to the pitch rate. I'll update on how it tastes. I was like - what - has it stalled? Nope - at 1.004 which works out about 1.010 at room temp.

The CML Kristalweizen I put in at the same time as the voss at 39c has brewed out faster. May be due to the pitch rate. I'll update on how it tastes. I was like - what - has it stalled? Nope - at 1.004 which works out about 1.010 at room temp.
I'd be interested to know what flavours and aroma you get from the CML Kristalweizen at that temperature. If you overpitched you may not get the fruit, but I bet the high temperature stressed it somewhat.

Here it is, super easy recipe, no need to condition for weeks on end. I normally use 1084 but Voss works fine as will many other kveiks.

Dry Irish stout

No Boil
No Chill
OG1046
FG 1010
25l batch
ABV 4.7%

4kg maris otter
800g flaked barley
500g roast barley
100g pale chocolate
300g crystal medium

mash at 65c for 120m
mashout at 75c for 20m constantly recirculating

35g challenger 7.6AA boiled for 30m in 1.5l water with nutrient
Either strain or throw all the hop tea into the FV
pitched at 15c fermented at 32c for 3 days then heat turned off.

Pitch plenty of yeast and you will get a clean fermentation, Pitch hotter if you want, mine had cooled overnight. I keg it after a week or 10 days, whenever i have time. I dont bother crashing or fining. Force carb and start drinking it the next day. I normally serve it through a stout tap.

Here it is, super easy recipe, no need to condition for weeks on end. I normally use 1084 but Voss works fine as will many other kveiks.

Dry Irish stout

No Boil
No Chill
OG1046
FG 1010
25l batch
ABV 4.7%

4kg maris otter
800g flaked barley
500g roast barley
100g pale chocolate
300g crystal medium

mash at 65c for 120m
mashout at 75c for 20m constantly recirculating

35g challenger 7.6AA boiled for 30m in 1.5l water with nutrient
Either strain or throw all the hop tea into the FV
pitched at 15c fermented at 32c for 3 days then heat turned off.

Pitch plenty of yeast and you will get a clean fermentation, Pitch hotter if you want, mine had cooled overnight. I keg it after a week or 10 days, whenever i have time. I dont bother crashing or fining. Force carb and start drinking it the next day. I normally serve it through a stout tap.
That looks like a nice recipe! I've been thinking about using Voss in a stout, wondering whether those orange flavours would actually come through as it would go really well with the coffee and chocolate flavours.

That looks like a nice recipe! I've been thinking about using Voss in a stout, wondering whether those orange flavours would actually come through as it would go really well with the coffee and chocolate flavours.

Thats exactly what I've been thinking. I once made Burton Bridge Top Dog stout (from GW's BYOBRA.) It didnt taste anything like a stout but a very chocolatey porter. Im thinking of using CML kviek in this to make a chocolate orange tasting porter/stout

Thats exactly what I've been thinking. I once made Burton Bridge Top Dog stout (from GW's BYOBRA.) It didnt taste anything like a stout but a very chocolatey porter. Im thinking of using CML kviek in this to make a chocolate orange tasting porter/stout
ah cool! I take it the CML is Voss. I'd be really interested to know how it comes out.

I've tried to make chocolate orange stouts before using orange extract but the orange flavour never came through.

Finally getting around to brewing with my Oslo Kviek today (I was too hungover last Sunday). A pseudo Marzen :

10l brew
1kg Munich
1kg Pils
500g Vienna
100g Caramunich 2

20g Saaz @60mins
8g Saaz @15mins

I'll pitch the Oslo at around 30-35°C and let it free fall during fermentation.

Finally getting around to brewing with my Oslo Kviek today (I was too hungover last Sunday). A pseudo Marzen :

10l brew
1kg Munich
1kg Pils
500g Vienna
100g Caramunich 2

20g Saaz @60mins
8g Saaz @15mins

I'll pitch the Oslo at around 30-35°C and let it free fall during fermentation.

If its' a pseudo lager shouldnt you be pitching at about 25C for a clean ferment (dont know much about oslo kviek btw)

It's an experiment granted. Oslo is supposed to be clean, crisp, and lager like, and the temperature range is between 20°C and 37°C so I figured 30°C is a good middle.

For science!

My first skare beer is ready. It's a california common type beer and I fermented at 32°c, the yeast is very clean, similar to what I've heard about Oslo in that sense. From grain to glass was a week and a half, whilst this is doable I do think a cold crash and some conditioning time would be very beneficial. However, I was seeing how quick a turnaround I could get and this has been my fastest turnaround ever!

Just finished my brew day. Smashed my efficiency target at 83%! I've also got an extra 500ml of wort than I'd calculated for. At 1.063 it's going to be a strong one. Pitched at 32°C and I'll give it a week to do it's thing before I check the gravity.

I'm debating whether to dry hop it or not. I have 14g of Saaz left, not really enough for a brew on its own, but I could mix it with something else I've got.

Back