Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also planning one for tomorrow. Ambient temp in the brewshed over 30 degrees this afternoon and set to be considerably warmer tomorrow and Thursday. Going to use it in the GH tin miners ale recipe and hope it works it's magic in double quick time.
Ideal, keep us posted please.

I've some Kveik en route along with other goodies, very interested to hear how the recent posters have got on in the warm weather!

So what's the consensus on bottling then? Just leave it for longer? I have one of those 5L mini kegs with a CO2 tap thingy, would that be better for Kveik brews?
Follow on question, since kweik likes the warm could you not carb/condition bottles in the warm, e.g. airing cupboard?

I've done this in the past with a proper low temp lager yeast (WY2206) with no ill effects so presumably kweik would be ok???

Are any of these kveik yeasts any good to use in an English ale or bitter?

I only have limited experience using kveik (2 batches fermented with Omega Hornindal) but I believe you could produce a fairly solid UK bitter style beer with kveik. My last batch was a Scottish 80/- with the Hornindal which I fermented on the low end at 22C and it's turned out largely clean to my nose/palette with a slight minerally / orange note to it. I think the only barrier you might face with kveik is that, as I understand it, most strains tend to attenuate to over 80% which might not work for some English styles. I tried to control the attenuation in my Scottish ale by mashing really high and it worked but I think that in part led to quite a sluggish fermentation.

I'm really liking the Hornindal and have some Voss to and Hornindal blends to use next. I don't brew massively hoppy beers/NEIPAs so will be looking to use these in predominantly British styles such as ESB, Stouts, Scottish ales etc.

Well it's finished in 2 days at 36 Deg about 7%.

I'm going to leave it to sort itself out for a few more days. Do you think I should turn the heater off or do you recon the yeast still needs it on?
(I don't really understand the magic that happens toward the end of fermentation.)

Last edited:
I got round to putting my flat Ebbegarden sour bottles into my fermentation chamber today, but it is slowly carbonating up at cold temperatures. My Skare lager which has been at cellar temps for 2 weeks is still somewhat under carbed so I shoved a couple of bottles in the fridge as well.

Pitching at 30c sounds like a dream. It always seems to be the last few degrees that take the longest when chilling.
That was what I've always struggled with. took 35 mins to chill to 36c and pitched and was done fermenting in 2 days. Have been using Kveik yeast for the last 6 brews and wont look back. 1st time this time with dried Kveik yeast little more cost effective but appears just as good results as Liquid from my experience.

That was what I've always struggled with. took 35 mins to chill to 36c and pitched and was done fermenting in 2 days. Have been using Kveik yeast for the last 6 brews and wont look back. 1st time this time with dried Kveik yeast little more cost effective but appears just as good results as Liquid from my experience.
How much dried did you use?

Just started my adventures using Voss Kveik from CML...........2nd brew started last Friday, 11 lts BiaB using 2 g of yeast. Started after 30 minutes at 37c and bubbled away very fast until done after 36 hours :)
Dropped temperature to about 20c for dry hopping which I did yesterday, plan to bottle Saturday..........that's 8 days, crazy eh !!

Y

Yeah, it probably started under 1/2 hour and was under in around 2 days. Ive never under pitched Kveik even if people say you can
Does under pitching make a difference in flavour? Sure I read something about that...

Just checked my Stranda, 1.010 after three days (and I suspect it was finished yesterday).

There's a slightly odd smell and taste to it, like rubber almost. Anyone experienced this in their brews?

Ideal, keep us posted please.

@Banbeer its in my brewday thread from tonight. Suffice to say I can barely hear myself type for the loud chug of CO2 being expelled from the FV through an airlock of lavender gin that frankly is only fit for
that purpose.

Latest posts

Back