Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to put a supermarket cider on with Voss this weekend. 19l and then in to a corny for some forced gassing.

Cheap cold summer weekend drink...
Will it ferment dry enough for cider? Might need to add amylase or something to get the FG down maybe?

Bottling yeast...how much and how if you don't have a bottling bucket? Just a couple of grains per bottle?
What i have seen people do is make a small starter, swill it around and use a pippette to put 1ml in each bottle. I have tried adding dried yeast to my sours and it does work but takes a while. You could just use more yeast of whatever you used to ferment with.

I don't think so as its simple sugars. It should finish dry. Let us know how you get on.
Let us know how you get on. I did a couple of silly experiments - one was a sugar wash in the greenhouse in a demijohn with a hoody over it to see if the voss would be ok with the temperature swings. It did brew out dry but it took 2 weeks. I also did elderflower champagne : natural vs voss at 35c and the Voss didn't brew out dry which was far from unpleasant. And the wild yeast didn't taste rank at 35c.

Let us know how you get on. I did a couple of silly experiments - one was a sugar wash in the greenhouse in a demijohn with a hoody over it to see if the voss would be ok with the temperature swings. It did brew out dry but it took 2 weeks. I also did elderflower champagne : natural vs voss at 35c and the Voss didn't brew out dry which was far from unpleasant. And the wild yeast didn't taste rank at 35c.
Nice one. I should try it and see. Do you put tea in your ciders or just juice? And nutrient? Been a good few years since i have done one. I have some oak chips i could throw in as well.
People without heat control often pitch as hot as possible and wrap it up in blankets.

Do you put tea in your ciders or just juice? And nutrient?
Wasn't a cider, just sugar wash for 10% boozyness. I put nutrient in both the wash and the elderflower champagnes and citric acid in both but didn't really measure it, just a teaspoon in the demijohn. The last time I did a full 50 litres of sugar wash I did buffering with calcium because the yeast will stall if it gets too acidic. This was just a 'what if' so I let it ride. Brewing at 35c knocked some of the flavour out. I dried ton of elderflower and vac packed loads fresh so I might do a 'dry hop' with them in future experiments.

Sometime last year someone on here sent me some voss and hornicidal. The hornicidal is on the right in this picture, only now getting round to using it. Guess I will need to build a starter?

Attachments

• 20200630_201207.jpg
    20200630_201207.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 71
I've moved mine over to the keg. Surprisingly orange and with an slightly acid/tart/sour flavour.
Pretty nice.

My latest two brews (my normal APA and Munich Helles recipies) have been in the keg a fortnight, and I have to say that I'm very impressed. I used the CML dried Voss in both, and while I feel it suits the APA much better, the lager is very good considering how young it is.

Neither cleared well, despite me using Irish moss and a cold crash. I used a bit of starbrite in both kegs and now both are crystal clear.

I'm very impressed and I'll use it again.

Sometime last year someone on here sent me some voss and hornicidal. The hornicidal is on the right in this picture, only now getting round to using it. Guess I will need to build a starter?

I would then you have yeast for life if you like the strains? It will probably be ok but i would err on the side of caution. Best of luck.

41 hours in, I’ve top cropped some
Yeast and taken a gravity reading. Down to 1030 from 1058.

I thought it would be nearly done by now.

Attachments

• 5097B8F7-A2C8-4260-BFD0-1023051DA304.jpeg
    5097B8F7-A2C8-4260-BFD0-1023051DA304.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 73
How hot are you fermenting it?
I pitched it at 37, wrapped it in a camping mat and a sleeping bag and left it to do it’s thing.
It was a touch over 30 when I opened it this morning.

I want to see how the Kveik works without TC. If it’s any good it means in future o can have more than one brew fermenting at a time.

RE: bottle conditioning.

In short, my limited kveik experience so far says kveik bottle conditions really well, but requires certain conditions. Here's what I've found out so far:

Cali-common fermented with Skare: my first foray into kveik for a long time. It was drinkable after about a week grain to glass with some bottles being noticably nicer than others. Some were more carbed than others, and the more carbed the better it was. However, the batch was hugely inconsistent with some being difficult to drink and others being the exact beer I wanted to brew. I put some bottles in my fermentation fridge (FF) and after 4 or 5 shoved them in the fridge. First one I had later that day, was ok, still kind of weird. Cracked another a couple days later, was amazing. Had another the next day, was again fantastic. On a side note, I don't think Skare is that clean, had citrus and tangerine coming through.

Sour fermented with Ebbegarden: Really similar story to above. Was ready to drink in a short time, but wasn't too nice and really flat. Where a beer fermented with "normal" yeast is fizzy in a few days, kveik tends to not carbonate. Shoved in the FF for a few days, then left in a normal fridge for a day or two, fantastic! I was so happy with this beer.

Oatmeal Stout: Left half the batch in the FF and kept the other half in the cellar. Tried a bottle after a week from the FF, flat as a pancake. Some bottles have an infection though which seems to be limited to certain bottles. A friend helped me bottle this batch and I left them with bottle sanitisation, they may not have done this properly for half the bottles. It still might be quite young though.

I think kveik needs about a week in the fridge at fermentation temps and a few days in the fridge to fully carbonate and bottle condition. As mentioned, my experience here is a bit limited but I have many more kveik brews which I'm gonna experiment around with to test this theory. It does seem to take longer to actually carbonate though.

I can't believe how orangey and tart it is. (Mrs is convinced I put a load of grapefruit in it).

My Stranda Kveik IPA is a success!

All the weird rubber smells are gone. It's carbed perfectly after 1 week in the bottle, and it tastes juicy as hell. Pineapple and mango, with some peachy hints. The 6.3% alcohol is completely hidden too.

I've bottled the starter I made with the top cropped yeast too. No off smells, and I've got a weirdly juicy weizenbock to sample next weekend out of it. Not sure if that's good yet, but carbonation might make it good 😅 No off tastes though so I've got plenty of yeast cultured up for further experiments.
IMG_20200705_120314.jpg

Next week I'll be brewing my first NEIPA with this yeast, can't wait!

Latest posts

Back