Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to do the same - my golden ale with L.Voss is just a little too fruity. Although I only managed to maintain about 30° during fermentation, I’m going to aim for normal ambient temperature, so 20ish° next time, to try and get it less orange forward. Might up my nutrients too, and pitch the whole pack rather than half, as it took 7 days to reach FG, which doesn’t seem right.

How’s your cream ale tasting?

I pitched the whole pack in a 23l batch and it still took 5 days to reach final gravity even at 35 c. The last few days it chugged along and dropped the final 2 points.

I also managed to get 3 60ml samples of slurry, which hopefully will each be enough for another batch.

I will be drinking the cream ale on Friday night so will report back!

Just come back from a week away and took a gravity reading from the FV, it had got down to 1.012. However I fear it must have got infected because the slight eggy whiff during fermentation has been replaced by quite a strong smell of what can only be described as sh!t. Back to the drawing board I fear :(
Very annoying. I just dumped my first batch in ages. Smelled much the same with added nail polish and it only got worse. Not exactly sure what happened but it was fast and the fv took a lot of cleaning to get rid of the smell. Unfortunately its just one of those things, could of been the yeast, if i had made a starter i would of known but i did not follow my own advice this time.

@mclaughlinj "Lutra" is getting good reviews if you want something crisp and its meant to be almost neutral. Probably gonna try a kolsch with it. More carbonation will increase the crispness and isinglass really helps as well. I use it on all pale non hazy beers.

Very annoying. I just dumped my first batch in ages. Smelled much the same with added nail polish and it only got worse. Not exactly sure what happened but it was fast and the fv took a lot of cleaning to get rid of the smell. Unfortunately its just one of those things, could of been the yeast, if i had made a starter i would of known but i did not follow my own advice this time.

@mclaughlinj "Lutra" is getting good reviews if you want something crisp and its meant to be almost neutral. Probably gonna try a kolsch with it. More carbonation will increase the crispness and isinglass really helps as well. I use it on all pale non hazy beers.
Yeah really frustrating! Hopefully with my next brew it'll be better. Gonna try no chill this time, just seal it up in the FV and leave it as opposed to arseing about trying to get the temp down.

Does anyone have any experience of Yeaster Bunny's Ebbergarden? I pitch some yesterday from a packet that said no bacteria, which doesn't reflect their listing or other sources of info on Ebbergarden. Not sure what to expect, although my wort was hopped to 18 IBUs, so any bacteria may struggle anyway.

I brewed a 1.072 gravity wort using pale malt and a touch of caramunich, mashed with an infusion of Juniper for 2 hrs at 70C, then boiled it for 2.5 hours with First Gold hops, and pitched the Kveik at 28C. It's only just looking to get going after 20 hrs, although I'm pretty sure that is a fault on my part, down to insufficient oxygenation (all part of the learning curve), although their pitch rates are a little worrying for the first time Kveik user. Excited to see how it turns out, bacteria or not.

Here's the cream ale brewed at 35c with lallemand Voss
IMG-20200828-181551091-HDR.jpg

Only been in the keg since Monday and it's drinking very well.

A very slight cidery whiff on the nose, but very clean tasting.

Another week or so in the keg and I reckon this will be a beauty. I usually use Nottingham for this and it's just as clean at this stage.

Checked the SG this morning and it's 1.012 so will check tomorrow and if it's still the same cold crash for a couple of days.
I used dry Voss kveik for the first time a week ago. Pitched two packs which is a monumental over pitch according to David Heath. Fermentation at 35°c went from 1.070 to 1.012 in 3 days when all activity stopped. Dry hopped and cold crashed for 2 days then into keg which is where it is now, I will try it in a week. Incredible stuff, brew day to keg in a week. Using mandarina bavaria, cashmere and amarillo hops so should compliment the yeast.

Dropped another point over the weekend to 1.009 and stabilised. Have bottled 10L as is and will dry hop the rest on Friday - just don’t have enough time to do yet more bottling this week!

It had cleared a lot before bottling (though still a slight opaqueness to it). Still v fruity and not at all neutral. When I do this again I will up my bittering hops to more my taste and look at maybe fermenting cooler ( by which I mean normal ale fermenting temperature!). I’m hoping carbonation and conditioning and serving cold helps it become a little more crisp. I’d definitely like it a bit more beer and a bit less Tango.
Be interested to hear how bottling goes, I’ve read reports that due to its flocculant nature you may struggle with bottle conditioning because little if any yeast makes it into the bottles. Hope that’s not the case.

I bought some Hornindal from them and it took a while to get going in a starter. Not sure why but i would always make a starter and check it for attenuation. Not sure about sulphur, i get that from lager yeast but it disappears after a while.
I did the same now and it worked a treat. With their Voss strain.

Be interested to hear how bottling goes, I’ve read reports that due to its flocculant nature you may struggle with bottle conditioning because little if any yeast makes it into the bottles. Hope that’s not the case.
I've done three brews with CML Kveik Voss with no bottle carbonation issues, so you should be alright 👍

My golden ale with Lallemand Voss is actually quite clear now (as you can see from this sample bottle):

D5E132D4-04FF-4E4B-8F89-BAB52468450C.jpeg

That’s just with Irish moss in the boil. The yeast does seem to have settled somewhat on the sides of this mini pop bottle, which I can see is also the same with some of my brown glass bottles. That probably doesn’t help to maintain clarity on the pour. It also gets a lot of chill haze (but I haven’t tried extended chilling yet, as it’s only just nicely carbed).

Taste wise, this is now not a bad beer, now that the carbonation is adding a bit more crispness too it. The non-dry hopped one still has a bit of a snakebite-y taste to it, which I don’t think is an off flavour but an effect of the orange-y esters from the yeast. The Ekuanot dry hopped one, as I thought, is head and shoulders better. The dry hop has really balanced out the esters. In fact, it may be my new favourite beer... 🤷‍♂️

I think ekuanot divides opinion. It’s definitely on my never use again hop list. There’s a strange green pepper thing going on that l found quite overpowering!

Latest posts

Back