Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think ekuanot divides opinion. It’s definitely on my never use again hop list. There’s a strange green pepper thing going on that l found quite overpowering!

I heard that. Can’t say I’m getting it from this dry hop - but I didn’t go overboard, just 2g/L. I bittered with Apollo just to 20IBU with no other hop additions (as it was a brew to check out what the yeast could bring to the party).

Last edited:
My first use of CML Voss, which must be lallemand, fermented super quick at 35°c. The beer is a bit cloudy still after after two weeks in the keg. There’s nothing subtle about the orange and citrus flavor, it’s quite dominant.

There’s nothing subtle about the orange and citrus flavor, it’s quite dominant.

Tell me about it! Do you find your hop schedule (particularly the Mandarina) complements it, or is it lost in a general oranginess?

I only brewed at highest temperatures as an experiment into what the yeast would produce. I think in future I’ll definitely just try it at ambient summer temperatures I n the hope the yeast esters are less forward.

Last edited:
Tell me about it! Do you find your hop schedule (particularly the Mandarina) complements it, or is it lost in a general oranginess?

I only brewed at highest temperatures as an experiment into what the yeast would produce. I think in future I’ll definitely just try it at ambient summer temperatures I n the hope the yeast esters are less forward.
I have brewed this recipe before, I think I used US05. Mandarina has a very subtle orange aroma, hardly noticeable at all, if I’m honest there was only background hints of orange in the finished beer. With Voss however, the beer is totally different, mine is a bit like drinking orange juice, it’s not sour but has just a touch of sharpness to it. It’s ok, maybe a 6 out of 10. The yeast does seem to have overwhelmed the hops.

Brewed an oatmeal stout with Kveik. Not carbed yet but tastes amazing. Third batch of beer I’ve had with the one pouch of liquid kveik (CML Bjorn).

I’ve still got a fair bit in the fridge and I have just ordered the ingredients for an Irish red ale, an oatmeal stout and a honey porter (didn’t order the Christmas ale as I have limited patience and thought it’d be weird drinking Christmas ale in September 😂)
Plan to do all these with the same yeast.

Two APAs and a stout so far have turned out good so I have high hopes for the next 3 batches. I was looking at different yeasts for the Irish Red, but the blurb says that the Bjorn is good for Red ales so I’m just going to go with it.

The fact that I can just chuck a spoon of yeast slurry and not worry about pitch rates or fermentation temperatures is also a huge bonus.
I can see this becoming my house yeast! 😀
(I just need to sort out the hopping schedule for the APAs as the fermentation seems to strip out the late hop flavours)

I bought a sachet of Lallemand Voss, with these dried versions is it recommended to pitch the whole sachet into 20-25L wort or much less than that?

I bought a sachet of Lallemand Voss, with these dried versions is it recommended to pitch the whole sachet into 20-25L wort or much less than that?

I think the jury’s still out on that. Lallemand obviously want you to use the whole packet, but I, and others, have had no issue using just half a packet on 20-25L brews.

Lallemand have a yeast pitch calculator on their website, for a 22 litre batch of 1.065+ wort you should use two packets, which some will say is a massive over pitch.

I had good results with pitching half satchels in beer, and using a full package. Lower pitch rates promote the development of esters, so alternately pitching a whole package will do the opposite (cleaner ferments)

my take: for really clean low temperature ferments i would use a full satchel. In any other case half satchel pitches are the way to go.

I think the jury’s still out on that. Lallemand obviously want you to use the whole packet, but I, and others, have had no issue using just half a packet on 20-25L brews.
Lallemand have a yeast pitch calculator on their website, for a 22 litre batch of 1.065+ wort you should use two packets, which some will say is a massive over pitch.
For kveik that sounds like a massive over pitch! That's true for "regular" dried yeast pitched straight from the packet. Rehydrating before pitching gives more litres/gravity points before needing to use a second packet.
I had good results with pitching half satchels in beer, and using a full package. Lower pitch rates promote the development of esters, so alternately pitching a whole package will do the opposite (cleaner ferments)

my take: for really clean low temperature ferments i would use a full satchel. In any other case half satchel pitches are the way to go.
I'll pitch the whole packet per 20-25 litres and take it from there. Once fermented it will be in liquid form so can go back to regular kveik pitching amounts.

For kveik that sounds like a massive over pitch! That's true for "regular" dried yeast pitched straight from the packet. Rehydrating before pitching gives more litres/gravity points before needing to use a second packet.

I'll pitch the whole packet per 20-25 litres and take it from there. Once fermented it will be in liquid form so can go back to regular kveik pitching amounts.

I was suprised too by Lallemands pitch rate calculator, but they do treat Voss the same as their other dry packs. I have used Voss once, I used two packs. it was too overpowering with orange / citrus flavour, I do wonder if it was the amount of yeat used.

I was suprised too by Lallemands pitch rate calculator, but they do treat Voss the same as their other dry packs. I have used Voss once, I used two packs. it was too overpowering with orange / citrus flavour, I do wonder if it was the amount of yeat used.

Unfortunately, I think that’s just the yeast. I found the infamous orange/citrus flavours overpowering with my half-pack pitches too. It seemed to give an almost cidery tang. And I was not impressed with my pre-packaging samples.

It does seem to mellow with conditioning though, and my single L.Voss brew so far is now actually pretty nice, and much cleaner tasting, about a month in the bottle. I split my batch and dry hopped half of it - which I’d definitely look at doing to the full batch next time, as well as brewing at less extreme temperatures. The dry hop really helped cut through the young characteristics of the yeast, while the non-dry hopped still exhibits a certain snakebitey undertone.

Unfortunately I've suffered from a persistent bug in my brewing and have been cleaning and sanitising fermenters. I haven't actually brewed in a while either as I've been moving my brewery to a better room. This is my trial beer to make sure I've got the bug out, and first beer I've made in over a month or so.

25 litres
OG 1.045

4.8kg MO

10g Fusion @30 min
20g Fusion @ 10 min
25g Fusion @ 5 min
45g Fusion Hop stand

Lallemand Voss Fermented at 40°C

I found a pack of fusion in my freezer I didn't know I had, will use the whole thing up as I have no plan for it. Also if I haven't got rid of the bug I'm not wasting ingredients I was really looking forward to trying. I do have so farmhouse strains available but it might be better to try a lab made new dried yeast in this case.

I'll let you know how/if it comes out.

Unfortunately I've suffered from a persistent bug in my brewing and have been cleaning and sanitising fermenters. I haven't actually brewed in a while either as I've been moving my brewery to a better room. This is my trial beer to make sure I've got the bug out, and first beer I've made in over a month or so.

25 litres
OG 1.045

4.8kg MO

10g Fusion @30 min
20g Fusion @ 10 min
25g Fusion @ 5 min
45g Fusion Hop stand

Lallemand Voss Fermented at 40°C

I found a pack of fusion in my freezer I didn't know I had, will use the whole thing up as I have no plan for it. Also if I haven't got rid of the bug I'm not wasting ingredients I was really looking forward to trying. I do have so farmhouse strains available but it might be better to try a lab made new dried yeast in this case.

I'll let you know how/if it comes out.

Sounds like a plan! May I suggest you think about using the hop stand hops as a dry-hop instead? Kveik yeasts are notorious for stripping out aromas and flavours from late hop additions (in the case of the Lallemand Voss might just be a case of them being masked by the intense oranginess the yeast brings). The dry hop might help balance this.

Sure to turn out a great brew either way. Never used (or heard of!) Fusion so will be great to hear out it turns out.

May I suggest you think about using the hop stand hops as a dry-hop instead? Kveik yeasts are notorious for stripping out aromas and flavours from late hop additions
That's a very good point, especially when fermenting at 40. I don't want to boil off all that aroma. I might change the hop regime altogether as I want to keep things really simple and not dry hop. I'll save the fusion for a cooler ferment.

So I am gonna change the recipe entirely. I have some Sanders yeast a forumite sent me and I think that fusion recipe will be good when I brew with it.

Keeping it simple:

4.8kg Maris Otter

10g Polaris @ 60 min

Lallemand Voss fermented at 40°c.

This will let the flavours of the yeast be dominant. The polaris will add some bitterness to balance, and by the sound of it Lall Voss lowers the pH of beer which increases perceived bitterness, so I've gone for a bit less than I normally would.

So I am gonna change the recipe entirely. I have some Sanders yeast a forumite sent me and I think that fusion recipe will be good when I brew with it.

Keeping it simple:

4.8kg Maris Otter

10g Polaris @ 60 min

Lallemand Voss fermented at 40°c.

This will let the flavours of the yeast be dominant. The polaris will add some bitterness to balance, and by the sound of it Lall Voss lowers the pH of beer which increases perceived bitterness, so I've gone for a bit less than I normally would.

Good going! I went down exactly the same route with my first (and only!) L.Voss brew. I only bittered to 20IBU, which may have been a little low for my taste, but I feel I’ve really got a feel for what this yeast can do. I’ll now have a better idea of how to (and how not to) use it in futureathumb...

Looking forward to hearing what you make of it.

Brewed today, went quite well but long boring story short, I had to use my Fermzilla instead of my brew bucket, so fermentation temp has reduced to 35c as the FZ can't handle hotter temps.

Brewed today, went quite well but long boring story short, I had to use my Fermzilla instead of my brew bucket, so fermentation temp has reduced to 35c as the FZ can't handle hotter temps.

I don’t think you’ll notice much difference - the L.Voss throws out so many orangey flavours even in the 25-35° range, I think the 40° might have produced actual orange juice (or orange hooch)!

Back