Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t think you’ll notice much difference - the L.Voss throws out so many orangey flavours even in the 25-35° range, I think the 40° might have produced actual orange juice (or orange hooch)!
Orange hooch. God dam.
My student Union bar sold Reef on tap. Awful.

Imagine what happens internally if you drink 9 pints of fresh orange juice. Never mind the alcohol.

I don’t think you’ll notice much difference - the L.Voss throws out so many orangey flavours even in the 25-35° range, I think the 40° might have produced actual orange juice (or orange hooch)!
I kegged an IPA last weekend, I used white labs opshaug kveik, no hint of orange, high hopes for first proper pour this weekend.

I kegged an IPA last weekend, I used white labs opshaug kveik, no hint of orange, high hopes for first proper pour this weekend.
Opshaug is supposed to be a clean yeast for pales, IPAs and even pseudo lagers. I made a doppelbock with it some time ago and it came out quite well. No complaints about Opshaug and would like to try it again.

checked on my Lallemand Voss beer yesterday, down from 1.051 to 1.010 in 3 days! Still got a gravity point to go before it finishes. I tried some and am happy to report the nasty bug seems to be gone. The beer itself had a bit of a harsh bitterness (but this usually rounds off by the time it's ready for drinking), really nice biscuity malt character and some orange and spice from the yeast. It was really well balanced though, nothing was overpowering. Granted it's still fermenting and the flavours will change by the time I crack open the first bottle, but so far really pleased!

S
Unfortunately, I think that’s just the yeast. I found the infamous orange/citrus flavours overpowering with my half-pack pitches too. It seemed to give an almost cidery tang. And I was not impressed with my pre-packaging samples.

It does seem to mellow with conditioning though, and my single L.Voss brew so far is now actually pretty nice, and much cleaner tasting, about a month in the bottle. I split my batch and dry hopped half of it - which I’d definitely look at doing to the full batch next time, as well as brewing at less extreme temperatures. The dry hop really helped cut through the young characteristics of the yeast, while the non-dry hopped still exhibits a certain snakebitey undertone.

Sorry to quote a week old post but I completely agree. This is a very good yeast for many reasons, including consistently across wide temperature ranges, clarity, and the ability to massively underpitch, but I do get a lot of white wine notes from it and these tangy qualities seem to shred the malt out of nearly all recipes, leaving beers too thin, and hoppy beers excessively bitter as the malt doesn't stand up to the hops.

I have tried this yeast with a cream ale, three pale ales and an oatmeal stout with very similar results.

Interestingly, the beer that you would expect the maltiness to be most important, the oatmeal stout, was by far the best of the bunch. Very similar indeed to my US-04 recipe, with the white wine and orange notes actually quite complementary to the overall flavour profile. I'm not sure I will use Lallemand Voss for much else going forward to be honest.

I've cracked open my Lallemand Voss blonde ale and it's been in the bottle for just over a week. Granted, could do with another week. It has a deep bitterness which is not unpleasant but perhaps a tad overbearing, followed by a strong spice character. The finish is some faint orange leading quickly to a lingering sweet malt character. It's a nice beer, but not really what I was aiming for and I feel overall it lacks a certain depth. I'm hoping the flavours will smooth out over time and more dimension will appear.

I made a gose with Omega Voss and it was a lot better. It was way smoother and there was a really nice orange blossom flavour to it, with a spice background. This amazing profile came out the beer incredibly quickly too. I may not be comparing apples to apples here, but I think that was a better yeast and worth the extra few ££.

I'm currently fermenting an oatmeal stout with farmhouse voss and I'd be very interested to see how that one comes out. I'm not expecting a great deal of yeast character at the forefront due to the carafa and chocolate malts dominating here. The next beer I make with it will be similar to above.

It's a nice beer, but not really what I was aiming for....

I think this is my issue with the Lallemand Voss. I’m happy that I used it on an experimental batch first to see what character it brought. I don’t think it is really neutral with subtle flavours (as Lallemand’s marketing suggests) and I think I’d have been very disappointed if I’d tried to use it as a replacement yeast on my house pale, for example. I think it has a very pronounced and obvious yeast character. From most experiences here, it seems a good yeast for darker, malt heavy styles, but not for lighter, hop forward or less malty styles (which are mainly what I brew!).

I think this is my issue with the Lallemand Voss. I’m happy that I used it on an experimental batch first to see what character it brought. I don’t think it is really neutral with subtle flavours (as Lallemand’s marketing suggests) and I think I’d have been very disappointed if I’d tried to use it as a replacement yeast on my house pale, for example. I think it has a very pronounced and obvious yeast character. From most experiences here, it seems a good yeast for darker, malt heavy styles, but not for lighter, hop forward or less malty styles (which are mainly what I brew!).
Yeah I'd really agree with all of that. I won't be going back to it anytime soon. I wonder if the Mangrove Jack's Voss is any better for a dried isolate? I know someone who used it in a simcoe pale ale and seemed to rate it, but he used a lot of hops and probably drowned out any character. I think the Omega one is the way to go. I'll update when the farmhouse version is done.

I have tried the cml voss on a few bitter pale ales over the summer, the taste was a little citrusy which i like, but they never fully cleared but again i dont mind a slightly cloudy beer would i use it again yes until i get some temp control

I have tried the cml voss on a few bitter pale ales over the summer, the taste was a little citrusy which i like, but they never fully cleared but again i dont mind a slightly cloudy beer would i use it again yes until i get some temp control
I used CML Voss on an American Amber Ale with Mosaic hops and it clear as a bell and tastes great. Really quick end to end as well
Brewed 26/6
Moved to 2FV 1/7
Bottled 3/7.
The attenuation was 79%.

I used CML Voss on an American Amber Ale with Mosaic hops and it clear as a bell and tastes great. Really quick end to end as well
Brewed 26/6
Moved to 2FV 1/7
Bottled 3/7.
The attenuation was 79%.

Good to hear you’ve had some success with the CML Voss (which I’ve heard is just the Lallemand repackaged
🤷‍♂️) in lighter styles. When I use my other half of the packet, I’m going to dry hop the f- out of it, as I feel to my taste that’s the way to work with the character it brings.

I just had a glass of my Greg Hughes' Tin Miner which was fermented with the Lallemand Voss. Its nw clear as a bell but barely even tastes like beer. As others have noted, seems to have completely stripped malt backbone out and replaced with cheap orange squash

Lall Voss is an interesting one. I served my beer to a couple of friends over the weekend and the flavour has changed. Both my friends and I thought it tasted like a British blonde ale: really woody with some esters. Then again, we had been drinking barleywine and a brett age saison, both of which full of flavour so our taste buds probably had been fried. (Our sobriety definitely was!)

My stout with farmhouse voss is stuck at 1.020. I've increased the temp and gently rocked the fermenter but so far nothing. Today I stirred up the sediment into the beer so hopefully that will get things moving, otherwise any suggestions?

I think it's cause because I tried using servomyces, which requires 1g per 100L apparently. Even with jewellers scales 0.2g is kind of hard to weigh out, I probably left a lot on the scales and so not much went into the boil. I'm quite happy to stick with bread yeast in the boil for nutrients.

I have fermented a brown ale and red IPA with lall Voss and the bottled brown ale cleared very well, with the fruitiness actually complemeting the rest of the beer quite nicely

I think it's cause because I tried using servomyces, which requires 1g per 100L apparently. Even with jewellers scales 0.2g is kind of hard to weigh out, I probably left a lot on the scales and so not much went into the boil.

Cut it with caster sugar - put 45g of sugar in a bag or small jar etc and then add 5g of Servomyces to the middle of the sugar (so it doesn't stick to the sides of the bag) and shake it up.

Then just weigh out 2g of the mix when you want 0.2g of Servomyces.

But yeah, old yeast or bread yeast in the boil is fine. Servomyces is mostly a way for Reinheitsgebot brewers to get round the fact that they can't add zinc sulphate or FAN to their beers, but they can add yeast that's been grown in a zinc-rich medium. It's also available in (expensive) capsule form.

Cut it with caster sugar - put 45g of sugar in a bag or small jar etc and then add 5g of Servomyces to the middle of the sugar (so it doesn't stick to the sides of the bag) and shake it up.

Then just weigh out 2g of the mix when you want 0.2g of Servomyces.

But yeah, old yeast or bread yeast in the boil is fine. Servomyces is mostly a way for Reinheitsgebot brewers to get round the fact that they can't add zinc sulphate or FAN to their beers, but they can add yeast that's been grown in a zinc-rich medium. It's also available in (expensive) capsule form.
Thanks, this is pretty good idea!

Latest posts

Back