Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Am I right in saying u can swap ipa kit yeast for kveik and have it bottled in under a week and would that mean it takes less time to carb and condition

If you've got something to get the temperature up high enough then yep. I'm going to have one of the ones I bottled 6 days ago when I've come back from feeding spent grain to the geese. I'll let you know how it's gone. Carbing at room temp.

Might
If you've got something to get the temperature up high enough then yep. I'm going to have one of the ones I bottled 6 days ago when I've come back from feeding spent grain to the geese. I'll let you know how it's gone. Carbing at room temp.
Did u get the chance to try one I ordered some liquid kveik today going to try at the weekend

Yup, tried them both. Both were pitched at 25º-ish, in lowgravity wort. So I missed out all the stress esters.
But they work, I also have 2 dry ones (Lalmand, I think) and they're planned for August :D

Below the details of some liquid ones.
WHC Odin (Kveik) BB: 20/12/2019 1 £5.83 (ex. VAT)
FM53 Voss Kveik. BB: 28/09/2019 1 £5.83 (ex. VAT)

Yup, tried them both. Both were pitched at 25º-ish, in lowgravity wort. So I missed out all the stress esters.
But they work, I also have 2 dry ones (Lalmand, I think) and they're planned for August :D

What about carb and condition is everything quick about it

I didn't do a speed-run, I just did the 2-2-2, hopping from weekend to weekend. Haven't got time on working days, I mainly tried them for the higher temperature requirements, having no fridge or spiral cooler.

Did u get the chance to try one
Yeah, it hadn't finished carbing enough and there was a residual sweetness and it being a pseudo lager that means it wasn't crisp enough. Absolutely zero yeast flavour, no too young flavour, and the slightly raw hoppiness it had when I force carbed it at bottling had gone. It's going to be a very, very acceptable near-tasteless beer, which being a rice-lager means it's worked well.

It was still slightly cloudy after bottling even after a 2 day crash, but I didn't gelatine it in case that messed up the trub for drying, which I messed up anyway. I could pop a few in the brew freezer now as it's at 42c with 3 new beers but myih, can't be bothers.

Please tell us about your experience with the lallemand stuff. I've tried it two times and I didn't like the result. I've been brewing with Kveik exclusively for the last two years, but with the real farmhouse stuff. One thing I have to say about the lallemand stuff is wow. It's a fast fermenter. Like real fast. The fermzilla is literally vibrating from the activity.

Please tell us about your experience with the lallemand stuff. I've tried it two times and I didn't like the result. I've been brewing with Kveik exclusively for the last two years, but with the real farmhouse stuff. One thing I have to say about the lallemand stuff is wow. It's a fast fermenter. Like real fast. The fermzilla is literally vibrating from the activity.
Can I ask what you didn’t like about it? I’ve got two packets ready to go and want to see if there are any beer styles I should avoid using it with

Can I ask what you didn’t like about it? I’ve got two packets ready to go and want to see if there are any beer styles I should avoid using it with
Of course you can ask. :D I've made two beers with it. One stout and a pale ale with sabro hops. The stout came out drinkable but with this... Taste... Never had it before. And the pale ale just looked like mud water. Even after a month in the fridge. Also horrible yeast taste to it. The both hit an fg of 1012 which is fine. I'm used to Voss Kveik dropping like its scared of floating. Also I've always gotten really clean beers. Almost lager like. This on purpuse since I keep the temps at 28degrees (low for Voss and makes clean beer.) I pitched like always at 38degrees. And had vigorous fermenting for about day and a half and one more day til it went quiet. Cold crash for 2 days and then forcecarb. I must say the stout came out way better than the pale ale. The pale ale aslo had a much more complicated grain bill. But hey. Pretty sure my own Voss Kveik from the farm would have made a lovely beer.

Will do!

Opshaug Kveik
After a very slow fermentation towards the end of last year, which, nevertheless, turned out a good beer, I dug out the slurry from my fridge and built a starter. Pitched into an (a bit overproof) Old Peculier clone with SG 1063 on 2nd June. Today, 7th June, airlock activity has stopped and gravity is 1009. It might have a little further to go, I'll rack it tomorrow, but I take back all I said earlier about Opshaug, It's a cracking yeast and the beer tastes great- really malt forward.
Ambient temperature around 22-23C fermenter wrapped in towels to keep the heat of fermentation in.

Opshaug Kveik
After a very slow fermentation towards the end of last year, which, nevertheless, turned out a good beer, I dug out the slurry from my fridge and built a starter. Pitched into an (a bit overproof) Old Peculier clone with SG 1063 on 2nd June. Today, 7th June, airlock activity has stopped and gravity is 1009. It might have a little further to go, I'll rack it tomorrow, but I take back all I said earlier about Opshaug, It's a cracking yeast and the beer tastes great- really malt forward.
Ambient temperature around 22-23C fermenter wrapped in towels to keep the heat of fermentation in.
Are you saying your fermentation temp was 22-23 at all times did u pitch at this temp also

The ambient temperature was that at all times. I expect the fermenting temperature was around 2 or 3 degrees higher due to the rate of fermentation and the heat it gives off. I pitched at about 26C.
Funny that it can finish that fast even at those temps. Haven't tried that Kveik myself. Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back