Kviek Home Brew Looks Very Odd

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmc

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just bottled my first batch of home brew using Kviek yeast. It has come out as a very cloudy orange/brown almost opaque liquid. It looks more like orange juice than beer.

IMG_4017.JPG

I have brewed this kit before using the more conventional yeast that came with the kit. It came out looking as you would expect, and settled to a nice amber colour as expected.

I bottled this one after 1 week because I wanted to experiment with quicker fermentation turn around times, (hence the use of Kviek) and it had settled to a stable and expected FG. I know the yeast will settle out to a certain extent during bottle conditioning but I am not sure if this is what kviek based beers look like after fermentation.

One observation is that the yeast hadn't settled to the bottom of the fermenter as solidly as it usually does with my normal 3 week primary routine. I suppose thats to be expected with only 1 week in the fermenter but I have heard that kviek is supposed to be highly flocculent. I thought a week might do it. Also, it seemed to still have quite a bit of dissolved CO2 when siphoning.

I had also hoped it would condition faster than other yeasts but it sure looks like there is a lot of conditioning to do here.

Would any of you who have experience with kviek consider this normal or have I made some sort of mutant?

I've only fermented a couple of batches with kveik (both hornindal) and my experience was that fermentation finished quickly but yeast stayed in suspension for well over a week without cold crashing.

You beer will likely clear up in the bottles within a week or two.

I used CML Voss Kveik for the first time recently and bottled it three days ago after cold crashing for 5 days (actually I went a bit far and it had ice on the top at bottling time). Anyway, mine is really cloudy too. It looks like yours but my photo hasn’t come out too well so if you’ve f*cked yours up then it looks like we both have 🍻

3707916D-A87D-45DB-BB05-B3263D60F56D.jpeg

I’ve done two APAs and two stouts with Kveik.

Both APA’s took a week or so in the keg to clear (even after cold crashing beforehand). Still tasted fine cloudy, just makes you fart a bit more 😂

The stout was obviously very dark so couldn’t see and therefore didn’t care if it was cloudy or not 😂

Thanks for the reassurance. I hope it will turn into beer at some point! i was hoping for a way to turn around drinkable beer inside 1 month, instead of 2, but i guess we will have to see how it all goes

This is mine today sitting next to a lager that was bottles a week previous.

View attachment 39878
If mine makes a transformation like that, it would be delighted!

I love those clear flip top bottles. I have loads of brown flip top bottles, but its hard to see when you have filled them enough when bottling and inevitably spill beer all over the floor if you get it wrong. I have to chuck 1 clear capped bottle in each batch to see if it clears up.

Well my Kveik beer (on the right) doesn’t show too many signs it’s clearing. In comparison, the American Pale Ale on the left was bottled 20 minutes ago.
I think, perhaps, the malt bill (6% Oats and 6% Wheat) and the 110g dry hop could be contributory factors?

Latest posts

Back