Kwik clear finings

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides' started by Alan L, Sep 30, 2014.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1

Alan L

Alan L

Alan L

Hi All,

I've started using Kwik clear finings for my beer. I couldn't find any great details of anyone using it on the forum and the instructions on the box are vague.

So I thought I'd share my method in case anyone else has had the same issue.

I used 5ml of solution A, mixed it into the fermenter, waited for 30 mins, added 5ml of solution B, then left it overnight.

I leave my brew in the fermenter for a minimum of three weeks before adding finings.
    The bottles take about one/two months to condition, but taste excellent with no smell or taste of yeast at all.

I've used this for my last 4 batches (all were cooper kits) and it's worked great. So much cheaper than buying separate finings for each batch too!

Cheers
    Alan

chrispurvis likes this.
  2. Oct 17, 2014 #2

Brewberoza

Brewberoza

Brewberoza

What is the active ingredient?

Do you see coagulated particles afterwards in the bottom of your FV?

Also, some of us like a little yeast in our beers:wha:

3. Oct 18, 2014 #3

dave0w

dave0w

dave0w

Regular.

yep so al be trying this as i have a load of kwik for wine and am always looking for a way to make things better, ever if it no better as to be worth a try

4. Oct 18, 2014 #4

baggybill

baggybill

baggybill

Always learning...

I'll be trying this too, on a beer for the first time. Does a great job on my wine and I have it to hand.

My Wilkos stout has a bit of a yeast smell/taste off it and not something I want to repeat. Bottle time is not helping.

If I lose a bit of flavour or colour, so be it... I think I may be suffering from sediment/yeast OCD :roll:

5. Oct 19, 2014 #5

Alan L

Alan L

Alan L

The ingredients are: kieselsol, gelatine, citric acid and a preservative (e202).

I don't mind the taste of yeast, but the smell around the screw caps is horrible (a reason why I use glass bottles now).

There's no coagulated or floating particles. Just the usual sugary paste at the bottom of the fv.

I wouldn't say there's any loss of taste or colour either. As it takes so long to condition, I'm probably using too much. Might try 3 or 4ml in the next batch.

Cheers

Brewberoza likes this.
  6. Dec 18, 2014 #6

pluckthechicken

pluckthechicken

pluckthechicken

Spring chicken

Got some of this from my LHBS yesterday at the guy's recommendation.
    Apparently the kieselsol picks up all the charged particles in the beer (part A) and then the gelatine clumps those particles together so they settle out faster (part B). Glad to see it's working for others.

shedbrewer likes this.