LAB Open 2019 Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've noticed this happening too; particularly the London based and bigger comps. I appreciate the challenges the organisers face - I imagine the desire will be that all the grouped categories are roughly equally sized and having bigger categories in the region of 20-25 entries keeps competition healthy. However, I can understand the frustration of scoring 40+ and not getting some recognition for it. I'm sure i read on FB the other day that someone had scored 45 and got a rosette. I appreciate that's probably an outlier though.

Yes, the other organiser scored 45 and missed out on a rosette on the stout table (same as where I scored 40).

The 2 tables I judged were really high standard. The mini BoS winner was a fantastic beer.

I was surprised to see so many NEIPAs entered as I've always thought of this as a particularly tricky style to get right - can you tell us how many points were needed for a rosette at that table?

Perhaps some judges could have re-read their scores before submitting. A few contradictions in there.

Also do the two judges, judge independently of each other are score together?

The judges do judge a beer as a pair, but are trained to judge the beer separately, write the scoresheet without discussing and then compare their thoughts and pick a consensus score.

If they're a long way out on scoring individually (more than 6 points overall) they have to work it out between them. This can happen a bit more with unqualified or inexperienced judges (and we did have to use a few this year, although we always paired them with experienced judges), but with qualified judges it's much rarer.

I only got to judge about 9 beers this weekend, with 3 different qualified judges, and we were never more than 4 points apart after writing out scoresheets separately.

If you are unsure about the feedback from a judge, email them and ask. If you're not happy about the quality of the feedback, please let me know (or email the contact address on the website).

Latest posts

Back