LAB Open Competition - (results are in)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting! They seem to be accepting 'shipped' (which I take to mean, posted) entries up to 12/5/22, but the judging starts the next day! Surely that's not going to allow time for beers to settle?

Or am I reading something wrong?

Interesting! They seem to be accepting 'shipped' (which I take to mean, posted) entries up to 12/5/22, but the judging starts the next day! Surely that's not going to allow time for beers to settle?

Or am I reading something wrong?
That’s right. If your beer needs to settle best get it there closer to the 6th, the start of the delivery window.

Perhaps they assume most entrants will bottle direct from a cask, and hence contain no sediment (not that I know anything about such matters)? But I wonder why they couldn't have made the shipping 'window' either a bit longer than a week, or, a bit earlier relative to the judging.

Perhaps they assume most entrants will bottle direct from a cask, and hence contain no sediment (not that I know anything about such matters)? But I wonder why they couldn't have made the shipping 'window' either a bit longer than a week, or, a bit earlier relative to the judging.
Because the amount of beers they receive and someone needs to receive them, categorise and store all the beers.

Just a reminder folks that registration for this competition opens in half an hour.

Registering is simple and costs nothing but you can’t take part if you’re not registered and places fill quickly.

The link to the site is in my opening post.

Registration is open boys and girls. I am registered. At this point you are only registering.

From the 17th you will be able to say which categories you wish to enter, you can enter up to two beers. The cost is £10 for the first and £6 for the second if you want to enter two. Once you’ve chosen you can change your mind at any point up to about a week before you send them in. You normally have to submit 3 bottles per category:1 for judging, 1 for best of show if you win your category, 1 as a spare in case of breakage or a gusher.

So get yourself registered and then think about which BJCP categories you’d like to enter. Your beers need to be ready by the beginning of May.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Back