LAB Open Competition - (results are in)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm changing my entry but not sure on the category to enter. I found a ~9 month brett beer and a ~6month sour beer in small demis. The brett beer was 4 litres of a wheat beer that wouldn't fit into my keg so I added b.bruxellensis and forgot about it. Similar problem with an amber sour beer I made a few months later and put the rest in a small demi and forgot. That was fermented with Philly Sour.

I've "blended" the two and it's nice. I've put it in 28b mixed ferm category but it's kind of difficult to explain the base beers. I also hear it's not that great entering sour/wild beers into BJCP competitions (although not too sure why). It does seem like with wild & sour beers there's such a range of different types it gets kind of hard to fit into categories.

Has anyone posted yet. I was thinking about sending mine tomorrow in the hope they land on Tuesday

Posting mine on saturday, are you putting all your bottles in separate bags like it says? I haven't got enough bubble wrap etc. I have other packing material, not sure how strict they are.

Has anyone posted yet. I was thinking about sending mine tomorrow in the hope they land on Tuesday
I’m bottling tonight, boxing up tomorrow and posting on Saturday. I’m going to pre-pay on the parcel force website so I just need to drop it off at the post office.

I'll probably drop mine off in person, get a couple of beers whilst I'm there. Hammerton are a top brewery.

Posting mine on saturday, are you putting all your bottles in separate bags like it says? I haven't got enough bubble wrap etc. I have other packing material, not sure how strict they are.
That’s to minimise spillage and mess in the case of a breakage. Mine are plastic bottles so just in a box with a layer of bubble wrap. They’re not strict, you’re more likely to lose a point for over-packaging - they have to get rid of it all and there are 400 entries.

You don't lose points for packaging.

Their advice is to stop spoilage of beers.

I am posting Monday. Don't want my beers sat in a warm post office over the weekend.

Posting mine tomorrow, well that’s the plan anyway. Individually bubble wrapped but not in a bin bag as I only noticed that recommendation after I’d sealed the parcel!

Mine was dropped off at the post office this morning.

As was the case last time I brewed specifically for a competition, I’m disappointed with one of my entries and don’t have high hopes for a decent score. The other one is decent though and I’ll be very happy if it gets a good score.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I won't be able to judge anymore and won't be down that weekend. I'm still entering though.

Back