LAB Open Competition - (results are in)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my saison I got 31 points with the main flaw being too alcoholic. I expected an issue with carbonation perhaps but surprised by this one. I’ll have another try myself tonight but I don’t remember an alcoholic taste.

For my Tripel I got 37 having lost a few points being hazy (I knew that) and for the carbonation being a bit under (I expected that). What I wasn’t expecting was the difference between the two judges; one gave me 40 points, the other gave me 34. Big difference.

Anyway onward and upward, Anglian comp next so do I improve one of these beers or go with my original choice 🤔

For anyone disappointed with their score I would say most of us aim to improve our beers. Don’t be disappointed with a lower score than you might have liked (I’d already convinced myself I deserved the conical!), as long as you get good feedback on how to improve your beer - mission accomplished!👍

I got a 36 for the IPL and a 38 for the margarita gose. It would seem I was a little heavy handed with my salting, but the concept was well received.

I don't think the world is ready for my IPLs.... That or they are miscatagorised, I have the ACB coming up which I will be entering the next version into but under NZ pilsner to see if there is any change of perception...

Are we posting the PDFs up or holding back due to judges names being present?

I got 33pts for Belgian IPA- liked it but said it was a Saison 😂
32pts for Altbier- wasn't balanced enough, too bitter for the malt character.
Surprised your Altbier didn't score higher. Your Belgian IPA was very light but I wouldn't call it a saison. Then again what would I know. The Saison that won the monthly competition scored 25, main issue seemed to be it was to bitter and yeasty.
My tripel score 27, main issue was the fermentation. Slight vinegar taste, I can relate to this. I did pick up as slight tartness in the beer 🍻

You all scored more than me. 2 blank scoresheets. I have checked and my beers didn't arrive via royal mail. Tracking doesn't even show I dropped it off so will need to complain when I am back in the country. Disappointing because it was a version of a beer that scored 39 in a previous lab, and I was keen to hear if it had improved.

Well I’ve just tried my saison. There is a maybe just a hint of alcohol if I screw up my eyes and concentrate really hard 😂 - maybe a hint is too much!

036AE7B8-AFEF-40F3-8A6D-445119F16D85.jpeg

You all scored more than me. 2 blank scoresheets. I have checked and my beers didn't arrive via royal mail. Tracking doesn't even show I dropped it off so will need to complain when I am back in the country. Disappointing because it was a version of a beer that scored 39 in a previous lab, and I was keen to hear if it had improved.
You must be gutted. Really disappointing.

My beer which I thought was lovely scored really poor with lots of flaws identified. Carbonation was good so I’m at a bit of a loss to explain how poorly it did. I am super chuffed that so many of you have done so well, but I can’t help but feel rather down about it. All the points they made, about temperature control, yeast starter, and yeast type I already have scrupulously controlled, and it has always been closed transferred.
I’ll try again but yep that’s a bit of a downer.

My beer which I thought was lovely scored really poor with lots of flaws identified. Carbonation was good so I’m at a bit of a loss to explain how poorly it did. I am super chuffed that so many of you have done so well, but I can’t help but feel rather down about it. All the points they made, about temperature control, yeast starter, and yeast type I already have scrupulously controlled, and it has always been closed transferred.
I feel your pain, I didn't score well at all. The only way is up 👍

Don’t be down, reflect on whether they have identified something you knew wasn’t right but couldn’t put your finger on. Also, recognise that what pleases you doesn’t necessarily fit the BJCP style guide (you may enjoy a hint of diacetyl in your Marzen) and then remember who you’re brewing for.

Did they feed back that the beer had esters it shouldn’t have (just guessing from the areas they noted)?

Did they feed back that the beer had esters it shouldn’t have (just guessing from the areas they noted)?
Yep - esters all over the place, but also contradicting feedback from the two judges. I did brew this one just below the recommended temperature range for the yeast - which was intentional. I’ll try again a bit warmer.

Yep - esters all over the place, but also contradicting feedback from the two judges. I did brew this one just below the recommended temperature range for the yeast - which was intentional. I’ll try again a bit warmer.
Yeah I had scores of 40 and 34 from two judges tasting the same beer; one judge commented that they loved it, the other that it was one-dimensional 😂

I guess you have to recognise that even beer judges are just people and with two judges (like marriages) you have one view, the other view, and the truth!

Yeah I had scores of 40 and 34 from two judges tasting the same beer; one judge commented that they loved it, the other that it was one-dimensional 😂

I guess you have to recognise that even beer judges are just people and with two judges (like marriages) you have one view, the other view, and the truth!
I had conflicting feedback from the same judge:

Mouthfeel - “light soft body with a smooth creaminess”

Overall - “body is slightly heavy and lifeless”

I'm sorry about this. It might be the bottle they opened was a dud, and judges are supposed to crack open a second if they think there's a problem with the first, but I've observed they don't always do this.

I've had your beer before and I know it's really good. There's a good element of luck on BJCP competitions depending where your beer comes in the order of beers, the palate of the judges etc.

Just the one - the Naeb’dy Aboot ‘red’ festbier. To be fair I don’t think it is as nice now as when it was a bit fresher. I think I’ll try another batch this weekend and see if I can give it a cleaner taste.

Did you enter as a Festbier or Märzen? BJCP guidelines on colour for Festbiers are quite pale and if yours was red and outside of the guidelines that may have contributed?

Back