Labelling your bottles (with your own labels)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here we go, a combination of Fallout 3 and New Vegas:

IMAG0776.jpg

Any computor wizards prepared to give a short tutorial in how to design a beer label. I have Microsoft Publisher 10 but haven't a clue on how to use it? :hmm:

Hi EG, just wondering whether you had a chance to make a "how-to" for creating labels on Photoshop? :whistle:

I have photoshop but I'm not very proficient on it. I would love to be able to produce labels of the quality you have :thumb:

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread.

Here is half of my first effort :). Very happy with them :)

2ed74f475b8f49888b9dd4923a030982.jpg

dx4100 said:

Those are really, really nice. I love the font and the colour scheme.

screamlead said:
Another tip for self printed labels is to spray them with cheap hairspray before cutting out apparently it sets the ink so it wont run. You can also use the picture mounting spray stuff too - i just happend to nick a couple of cans before i 'retired'. :cheers:

true true, has to be cheap tho, expensive stuff doesnt work.

I use a laser printer and milk too and I'm really happy. No smells from the milk and the labels come off nice and easy to re use the bottles.

I'm interested in the hairspray thing, that's a good tip and it would be convenient to be able to print labels at home rather than trying to be sneaky at work.

The whole label thing for me is part of the fun. I like having labels on the bottles I give to friends and it's a way for the girl friend to get involved, she gets to help with names and colours etc.

wpid-IMAG1222-1.jpg

WelshPaul said:
dx4100 said:

Those are really, really nice. I love the font and the colour scheme.

Those look amazing, really professional.

I'm impressed!
I currently use an idea I pinched from 'mashspargeboil.com' where you print the text on to a sticky label that is attached to the bottle cap. Advantage is you don't need to scrub the labels off the bottles each time, and you can identify the beer without taking it out the case!
There is an example on the brewday write ups on my site, I really need to get sorted so I can post pics directly here!
Cheers
Da

I like that idea of cap labels very smart. have you a link to where I can get them and do you need comp softwear set up to print them.

These are the ones I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00505U ... -1&pi=SL75

I use some free software to make the label art called "Label Sprint Label Editor". It is a bit glitchy at times, but it is free and would let me create a custom label size. Let me know if you want the custom label template file and I can post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To create the custom label template, you need to make the following settings:

Label

Size: Width = 1.900 / Height = 1.900
Space: X = 0.200 / Y = 0.200
Layout: Columns = 9 / Rows = 13

Paper

Size: A4
Margin: Left = 1.200 / Top = 1.400
Orientation = Portrait

piddledribble said:
I like that idea of cap labels very smart. have you a link to where I can get them and do you need comp softwear set up to print them.

I bought the labels from eBay for around £3 for 5 sheets (70 per sheet) and downloaded the appropriate word template for somewhere like here

Cheers
DA

Thanks to the OP for this great thread. :clap:

I have an old-fashioned printing press and am thinking of hand-cranking some "universal" labels that I can complete by hand. I saw some inspiring ones somewhere on the internets once but lord knows where. They might look something like this:

BARROWBY BREWERY
Name:
Style:
Gyle no:
Brew date:
Bottle date:
ABV:

Anything I've missed?
Cheers! :thumb:

Great Thread, which made me want to get busy. A quick 15mins at work last night (and use of a very nice laser printer) gave me this. Not the best photo, but I'm still happy with my first home brew - Maffa's Double D. Its Disturbingly Dark!.
DD_zps06ef1c3b.jpg

Brew No2. Maffa's Bear Tasty Beer (so named because my youngest misspelt beer wrong!
DSC00744_zps5f4b53df.jpg

DSC00743_zpsa505637a.jpg

Latest posts

Back