Labour Party retake Wakefield!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick Eardly (political correspondent )

Boris Johnson won the 2019 general election with a coalition of voters, which ran from lifelong Tories to people in the north of England who backed the party for the first time.

These results show support among both groups is fraying.

In Wakefield, Labour has retaken part of its old heartland in the north - what's often dubbed the "red wall". The party will hope it's a sign that it can rebuild its electoral support in these areas at the next general election.

But the result in Devon will worry the Conservatives even more. Tiverton and Honiton should be a safe Tory seat.

Instead, we've seen the biggest majority lost at a by-election ever in the UK. Not only that, the Lib Dems won comfortably.

This is the third time in just over a year that the Lib Dems have taken a seat from the Conservatives, overturning significant majorities. What's been dubbed the "blue wall" looks increasingly wobbly.

Many Tory MPs had predicted they would lose these by-elections. That calculation was, to an extent, baked in when the confidence vote in the PM was held in Parliament earlier this month.

But there will be many Conservatives looking nervously at these results.

Both seats were subject to tactical voting as Labour and the liberals lost their deposits in the seat they didn’t win. Who said the English are not politically aware.😂

Turnout was also low.

We have to be careful what we wish for how ****** off will all those calling for Johnson's head be if he resigns and the person who takes over does a good job and they win the next general election.

I want Boris to stay put and take the party down.

Turnout was also low.

We have to be careful what we wish for how ****** off will all those calling for Johnson's head be if he resigns and the person who takes over does a good job and they win the next general election.

Relax. Hes going to be replaced by a Tory.

Turnout was also low.
Yes, I completely agree. Best chance of getting the tories out is if Boris stays. The next election can't come quick enough!

Turnout was also low.

Sure I heard turnout in Wakefield was 79% on the radio?

Last edited by a moderator:
39% is abysmal, and doesn't say much for the state of our democracy. Even though the "No point in voting, they're all the same" crowd are usually the first to complain.

I think people are so sick of politics and politicians they have all but given up, were the working classes so much better off 12 years ago under the last Labour government I cannot remember it being the case.

So if Labour do get in how are they going fix this mess the country is broke are they going to tax the rich to help the poor i very much doubt it, are they going to scrap HS2 and use the money for all of us not just a few no so where are they going to get all the money that is going to fix the problems it would seem no one knows, every time I hear that question asked of any of them on question time all they say is we are not willing to discuss that at this stage.

Last edited:
I can't remember in the past where people couldn't afford to run their cars to get to work or couldn't put the heating on due to energy prices so high. Yes there's been the cases of heat or eat before but not to this extent. This period is the most expensive period I can remember whether it's energy or fuel or food. On the by-elections results once again it wasn't his fault and he needs to carry on a job he started. Well what a surprise he never took the blame for the loss. Wonder if he's looking forward to returning to the UK?

I can't remember in the past where people couldn't afford to run their cars to get to work or couldn't put the heating on due to energy prices so high.

The government have no control over the how much the energy and fuel companies charge us which is the main problem for most of us can you tell me how they can get us back to where we were two years ago as i have no idea how they are going to fix this.

I can't remember in the past where people couldn't afford to run their cars to get to work or couldn't put the heating on due to energy prices so high. Yes there's been the cases of heat or eat before but not to this extent. This period is the most expensive period I can remember whether it's energy or fuel or food. On the by-elections results once again it wasn't his fault and he needs to carry on a job he started. Well what a surprise he never took the blame for the loss. Wonder if he's looking forward to returning to the UK?
We shouldn’t let him back in bloody immigrant.😂

Voting isn't the only method of political activism. Whilst it's important, I can understand why people choose to abstain due to bad candidates, bad parties, bad electoral system etc., but are politically active in other ways.

That being said, I'm not sure if 61% of Wakefield's electorate simultaneously are protesting their votes...

The government have no control over the how much the energy and fuel companies charge us

Actually they do. Not so long back, gas and electricity were in public ownership. In effect the government had the power to subsidise the cost of fuel to the public out of taxation if it so chose. Now, we don't have that set-up (unfortunately, in my opinion). But the government still has oversight, even over privatised utilities. That's what Ofgen and all those other bodies are supposed to do.

That's what Ofgen and all those other bodies are supposed to do.

They are toothless and the companies know it when was the last time they took action against any of them?

The energy and fuel companies will charge what they like and will continue to do so Ofgen will do nothing.

Back