Labour Party retake Wakefield!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Care to explain?
Guess not.
There is nothing new in that article and we read the same thing or similar time and again from both labor and conservative politicians when they are not in office.
I think it is best to look at the credibility of the author, he is a clever politician who will write or say what people want to hear. He is just another politician who will talk the talk and walk in a different direction.
I couldn't agree with Jeremy Corbyn's political views but at least you knew where he stood, when you see a poser like Burnham, for me I just can't see any credibility in the man. Its fine to speak about things which needs to be done, anyone can do that, its another to come up with the money to do it.

I think it is best to look at the credibility of the author, he is a clever politician who will write or say what people want to hear. He is just another politician who will talk the talk and walk in a different direction.

What has he to gain by bringing the subject up he has his own job and as far as I know Starmer isn't going anywhere.
I think it's good that he has brought it up a lot of new voters won't know how bent the system is and it is time for change.

What has he to gain by bringing the subject up he has his own job and as far as I know Starmer isn't going anywhere.
I think it's good that he has brought it up a lot of new voters won't know how bent the system is and it is time for change.
The system won't change, but you are right it is time for a change, a change is a good thing it will give the in coming government a chance to see what they are made of, and for the Tories a chance to regroup. And get a new leader, Boris has certainly let the side down.
As for Burnham, he still has his eye on the top job so can't be ruled out altogether. Not some one I would vote for but.

There is nothing new in that article
This is probably the only thing I have ever agreed with you on.

The article is pretty much a bread and butter manifesto from a liberal, left of centre politician.
Absolute mana for me.
From what I read he was simply saying this:

• Reformation of the UK’s electoral system
  • Investment in basic public services
  • Investment in public transport
  • A change from First past the post to Proportional Representation (a pretty common system throughout Europe).
  • Decentralisation of power from the South-East to the rest of the country
  • Stopping donations from hostile foreign powers (ie. Russia) to UK political parties.
All of which would improve the lives of ordinary working people in the UK and stop the current malaise Britain is experiencing.

Very far from a 'load of ****.'

This is probably the only thing I have ever agreed with you on.

The article is pretty much a bread and butter manifesto from a liberal, left of centre politician.
Absolute mana for me.
From what I read he was simply saying this:

• Reformation of the UK’s electoral system
  • Investment in basic public services
  • Investment in public transport
  • A change from First past the post to Proportional Representation (a pretty common system throughout Europe).
  • Decentralisation of power from the South-East to the rest of the country
  • Stopping donations from hostile foreign powers (ie. Russia) to UK political parties.
All of which would improve the lives of ordinary working people in the UK and stop the current malaise Britain is experiencing.

Very far from a 'load of ****.'
I believe the only way the lives of ordinary or under privileged people is going to improve is by self determination of the individual. As for first past the post, I don't know how it works in the UK but here alliances are built with both major parties, so being first past the post doesn't give the winner the right to govern as they would like.
As for investments, they will be made where the government in power will think it will give them the credibility to crow about come the next election.

I believe the only way the lives of ordinary or under privileged people is going to improve is by self determination of the individual. As for first past the post, I don't know how it works in the UK but here alliances are built with both major parties, so being first past the post doesn't give the winner the right to govern as they would like.
As for investments, they will be made where the government in power will think it will give them the credibility to crow about come the next election.
In the UK we elect a local MP for a constituency, which will have a population of around 70,000 people. There is a single vote per person, and the MP with the most votes wins and represents the constituency.

Once upon a time this system worked well -
your local MP campaigned on local issues and would then represent that local area.

The problem is that local issues have become largely irrelevant in general elections - it’s all about political policies by the main parties. So many people will vote based upon party rather than the local MP. We can see this in this thread, where people “couldn’t” vote for Labour in the last election because of Labour’s leader Jeremy Corbyn. Had they even found out what their local Labour representative thought? I doubt it.

Every constituency is dominated by one or two parties, and so voting for anyone else is a wasted vote. It also means that there’s much more importance put on ‘swing’ constituencies where the vote may be close. Safe seats get little attention, which is no good for any of the voters.

As a result Parliament is dominated by two parties, so a true coalition is rarely required.

surprised no one has mention abolishing the House of Lords and Royal family for a fairer political system. Maybe 1st past the post could work for local representation so long as we had another chamber with PR, and then get rid of an unelected family business turning down laws which they don't like.

I would certainly reform the Lords, but not abolish it entirely. I think there’s a need for a second house that has a longer memory than the Commons, and thinks beyond the current election cycle.

Appointments would need a higher level of scrutiny though so we don’t end up with more Lord Lebvedevs, and the seats should be removed if any impropriety is found. I would like to instead see more appointments made based upon public nominations.

The Royal Family I’m conflicted on. I’m a big believer that they can wield soft power beneficially for the country, but I’m unsure whether that’s worth the vast cost (and unfairness) of keeping them.

I would certainly reform the Lords, but not abolish it entirely. I think there’s a need for a second house that has a longer memory than the Commons, and thinks beyond the current election cycle.

Appointments would need a higher level of scrutiny though so we don’t end up with more Lord Lebvedevs, and the seats should be removed if any impropriety is found. I would like to instead see more appointments made based upon public nominations.

The Royal Family I’m conflicted on. I’m a big believer that they can wield soft power beneficially for the country, but I’m unsure whether that’s worth the vast cost (and unfairness) of keeping them.
I kind of agree with you in theory: There's need for policy makers who can make real change which lasts longer than 5 years. I also think in theory it's a really good idea to have people who are the best in their field to help scrutinise laws by people who don't have the same level of knowledge. The reality is very different though and is problematic. I believe the Royal Family abuse their power for their benefit, plus their history is quite bad.

Way before my time, but as the Queen is also the head of the commonwealth, Sir John Kerr acting on behalf of the queen (the queen did not know about it beforehand) sacked the Whitlam Labor Government in 1975. Seems so wrong that a democratically elected government can be given the Tijuana by the head of the commonwealth or more accurately by her representative.

Labor is supposedly there to represent the working class. Electricity in 2009 was about 12 cents/kWh rumors were rife then that electricity prices were going to rocket. Labor government offered a deal to pay anyone who installed solar on their roof would be paid a tariff off 66 cents for electricity fed into the grid for the next 15 years! A deal to good to miss, never occurred to the labor party the only ones who could afford the solar (between $20- $25,000) were the well off, and who were the ones who couldn't afford the solar, the ones who voted labor are left to pay more on the electric bills to subsidies those with solar!
To add insult to injury the state labor party is offering batteries to those with solar panels at a subsidised rate of 50% off!
Our state Labor government has done it again! They have a web site to compare your gas and electric prices. If you go onto the website to compare your own tariff to others the state government will give you $250 about 125 GBP. Even though I have solar I went on the site and just compared the service to property prices. $250, thank you very much. Got to hand it to Labor they are brilliant with other peoples money.

……,

Liquidation is few and far between,plus there are indicators when thing aren't going well, enough time to pull the pin.
I prefer to go for capital gains on the shares rather than dividends. …..
Front page of Today’s Telegraph:

“Recession panic wipes
€13 trillion off markets”
(Ironically, very near the Matt cartoon!)

Time to look at your shares?
:hat:

Front page of Today’s Telegraph:

“Recession panic wipes

:hat:

Many people that hold share portfolios will buy for the long run - years. Over 10 years the gains will usually exceed the dips by quite some way and it saves you getting tied up in knots wondering what prices will do month to month.

But yeah, it's been a rough last 6 months.

Interesting
D69021A2-1E3D-416E-85E4-7C6532E15F8D.jpeg

Front page of Today’s Telegraph“Recession panic wipes
When they bounce back it is usually to a higher point than they were at when they dropped. I don't look at my investments, but take my wife, (please) she is watching her super go down and relating it to me! My ears are bleeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back