Lack of bitterness, Hop problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarenth

Reaction score
Hey Guys

My 2nd to last brew had no bitterness or aroma.

3 gallons of boiling water

3kg pale Malt Extract
500g Crystal malt (steeped 30mins)
35g Cascade 60min (pellets)
15g Cascade 30min (pellets)
20g Citra 15mins (pellets)

Pitched us-05 yeast at 24c (a bit high, I know)

OG - (missing figure)
FG - 1.012

After a 7 day primary fermentation, the FG did not move after 3 more readings. So I know the bulk of the fermentable sugars have been used. I tasted the beer then and it has no aroma or bitterness and is quite sweet.

I put my hops in a muslin cloth and made a tight knotted ball. Is it possible that there was not a good flow of water going through the hops at boil due to them being tightly packed into a ball?

Any help would be great because I do not wish to repeat this? As something similar happened to my first extract brew.

Thanks

I put my hops in a muslin cloth and made a tight knotted ball. Is it possible that there was not a good flow of water going through the hops at boil due to them being tightly packed into a ball?

I think your self diagnosis is the cause of the problem. If you put the hop to float free and then strain them out with a seive you might get better results

It will be debated from many saying it is fine, however When I first did an extract I found the hops to be lacking and I used muslin bags.. I also made no allowance for the diluted the boiled wort.. did you top up with cold water once cooled??

Do bare in mind it will more than likley improve with conditioning..

Anyway moving to free flowing hops I have discovered a noticable improvement

I topped up with cold water to bring the temp down, how would this effect the hops?

Thanks for the advice!! I will definitely let them float free next time.

if you boiled down to say 13 liters then topped up to 23 it will reduce hop utilisation, I am not sure the extact mathmatics but essentially it dilutes it somewhat as you are boiling in a concentrated wort meaning the balance is out. Many extract brewers put half the extract in at the start of the boil then the remainder at the end so you are essentially not boiling in a concentrated wort..

Many extract brewers put half the extract in at the start of the boil then the remainder at the end so you are essentially not boiling in a concentrated wort..

I will try that next time. Thanks

Latest posts

Back