Lack of cider fermentation,! Any advice appreciated.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciderman

Reaction score
Hi forum,

I started a Brew buddy 40pint Cider kit on Saturday, and I am worried at the pace of fermentation. I have made quite a few beer kits, but this is my first cider kit. My beer kits have always fermented fericiously, sometimes keeping my wife and I awake in the process! This kit has been made as I always make my other kits, following the supplied instructions to the letter. I have always cleaned my equipment 100%. Could it be a temperature problem? The airlock is bubbling (though not as much as my previous kits), and there is a froth. Would it be possible to use a brew belt maybe? Can you do this with cider? I would appreciate any advice anyone can come up with,

Kind regards,

Alan

Hi Ciderman and welcome to the forum :thumb:

It could be a temperature problem, what temp is it at at the moment?

Hi Wez,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is currently 20 degrees at the moment. Is this too low? If so can I use my brew belt? Is this advisable with cider?
As I have said, I am new to cider making, not brewing!

Many thanks,

Alan.

I'm pretty sure that beer and cider are happy fermenting generally at the same temperature so nothing wrong with 20c.

Are you able to take a hydrometer reading at all to track progress (did you take a reading at the start at all)

Hi ciderman,

I'm pretty new to brewing in general, but as far as I'm aware cider does not "show" that it's fermenting as much as other things such as wine.

I'm not quite sure about beer, but from pictures I've seen on this forum it would suggest that.

I've got 2 ciders on brew at the moment, the exact same brewbuddy kit you have at the moment, and a little tub of turbo cider I'm trying - and neither are "ferocious".

Come to think of it, the cider kit iI did a few years ago wasn't either.

I think its just the way cider is. Although if I'm wrong, someone correct me! :drunk:

Cheers,

Nick :drunk:

Hi all,

Got up this morning and guess what, the kit has started to ferment with alot more activity. I couldn't believe it. As i said, I have made no end of beer kits and they were so noisey, to the point of becoming annoying. I think I was becoming alittle paranoid, and i thought I'd maybe spoiled it through lack of knowledge. I'm really pleased it is going so well now. Thank you for all the advice. This forum is brilliant. :clap:

I can't wait to taste the results over Christmas :cheers:

Thanks again.

Thanks for the nice comments about the forum :cool:

Be under no misunderstanding, your cider kit started to ferment properly because you posted about it here, THAT's the influence we have over here at THBF :lol: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back