Lack of pressure after force carbing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manners

Reaction score
First time filling with my new keg setup yesterday. I had thought I had force carbed- cooled, hit with 30 ish psi and rocked/shook the keg for a few minutes then left overnight at 10 psi. This was as per some youtube videos Ive seen.

i got home this eve and thought id try a cheeky pint to check we have success and.... a mere dribble from the tap. Upped the pressure to 40psi and was able to get more of a stream, but just a tiny hint of a sparkle to the beer and certainly no head. Where/what have I done wrong and how should I proceed?

cheers

Sounds like you've had massive lost of pressure. You could test my recarbing then spraying the keg and lines with soapy water and looking for bubbles to check the seals and connections.

Or possibly it didn't actually carb when you first tried. Could you hear the gas 'pouring' into the keg as you rocked it? How much headspace did you leave? I leave around 2 litres in a normal corny.

I follow a similar process to you, chill the beer as part of the cold crash, then syphon in to the keg, leaving a bout 10percent headspace. Then carb at 40psi with the keg laid on its side, for a count of 50. Leave to stand in the keezer for 30mins and then serve at 20psi

Sounds like you've had massive lost of pressure. You could test my recarbing then spraying the keg and lines with soapy water and looking for bubbles to check the seals and connections.

Or possibly it didn't actually carb when you first tried. Could you hear the gas 'pouring' into the keg as you rocked it? How much headspace did you leave? I leave around 2 litres in a normal corny.

I follow a similar process to you, chill the beer as part of the cold crash, then syphon in to the keg, leaving a bout 10percent headspace. Then carb at 40psi with the keg laid on its side, for a count of 50. Leave to stand in the keezer for 30mins and then serve at 20psi
Thanks for the response!

In checking my methodology I now recognise Id screwed up by accidentally turning off the gas at the manifold when agitating - thus only mixing the co2 that was already in the keg and not introducing any more ! Utter plonker!

As the beer needs to condition anyway Ive gone down the route of setting it to the appropriate psi for serving and intend on leaving it for a couple of weeks. A cheeky half pint tester yesterday confirmed its already on its way.

Everyday is a school day.....

Excellent to hear it was simple to resolve! I had a very similar issue with my first carb, and it wasn't until the video I was watching described gas audibly pouring into the beer, that I realised I had set something up wrong! Enjoy ;)

There is a very easy way to force carb. Set the psi to 30, put the keg on its side and roll back and forth with your foot for five minutes. Job done. Remove the gas and vent the keg down to serving psi.

I know you plan on conditioning for a couple of weeks but if you are going to have the odd cheeky one, it might as well be properly carbed.

There is a very easy way to force carb. Set the psi to 30, put the keg on its side and roll back and forth with your foot for five minutes. Job done. Remove the gas and vent the keg down to serving psi.

I know you plan on conditioning for a couple of weeks but if you are going to have the odd cheeky one, it might as well be properly carbed.
To be honest Im missing the gym so Im quite happy to manhandle the keg and give her a bit of a shake, but as I mentioned earlier- it really blooming helps to keep the gas connected!!! Lol

Its a fairly potent brew so could do a little rest and conditioning so will have to restrain myself for a bit!!!

To be honest Im missing the gym so Im quite happy to manhandle the keg and give her a bit of a shake, but as I mentioned earlier- it really blooming helps to keep the gas connected!!! Lol

Its a fairly potent brew so could do a little rest and conditioning so will have to restrain myself for a bit!!!
I've read recipes that require the beer to be carbonated upon kegging and then left for two weeks. Not sure how much, if any, difference this makes.

Rolling it around at high pressure will get you fizzy beer but it’s blind luck getting the volume you are aiming for.

The accurate way would be to control both variables. Set it at serving pressure and temp for 7 days. Your beer will thank you for it.

Last edited:
Back