Lactose Subs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegrantickle

Regular.
Reaction score
Right,

So I've f***ed up because my inventory was wrong. Thought I had 1200g of lactose, turns out I only have 500g (doh!)

I'm brewing an Imperial Milk Stout on Saturday, and the 1200g made up 7% of the fermentable bill. I'm thinking of adding in some flaked oats (i have 2kgs) or using some Brew Enhancer 1 (I have 1kg) to help up the sweetness and improve the mouthfeel.

Who has ideas/experience doing similar?

Cheers
G

Order some more lactose and add it later. It's only sugar. Just dissolve it in some boiled water and lob it in when you're ready. I presume the lactose addition was near the end of the boil so it won't affect your hops utilisation.
My experience with flaked oats has been a disappointment; I don't really like the taste and they mess around with the head retention.

I did a milk stout recently with lactose and oats ah, balls, no I didnt, just checked it was a bit of wheat.

In any case, it was, and continues to be, lovely.

I have also got an Oatmeal stout on the go, but that didn't have any lactose in it.

Not sure if that helps, probably not, in which case sorry for making you read all this bobbins.

Order some more lactose and add it later. It's only sugar. Just dissolve it in some boiled water and lob it in when you're ready. I presume the lactose addition was near the end of the boil so it won't affect your hops utilisation.
My experience with flaked oats has been a disappointment; I don't really like the taste and they mess around with the head retention.
I thought someone might say that. Fair comment, I might do that.

Latest posts

Back