Lactose sugar instead of candi rocks in a Belgium Blonde

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosabby

Regular.
Reaction score
A quick question: can I use Lactose instead of candi rocks towards the end of the boil for a Belgium Blonde? I have lactose left over which I want to use up.

Would I get a significantly different sweetness?

Thanks

Kimosabby

It'll be very different. Lactose isn't fermentable, which will end up with your beer being sweeter.

Candi rocks are fully fermentable.

You can just use table sugar (sucrose) instead of the rocks in a Belgian blonde unless you need that slight caramelised flavour you'll get from the rocks (depending on their colour)

Cheers for that; don't the candi rocks provide sweetness at all?

I used rocks in a Leffe clone sometime ago and it came out with a sweetness like the Leffe Nectar; they were clear rocks

Last edited:
As far as I understand it, the Candi rocks are fully fermentable, so all the sweetness will be converted to alcohol.

Lighter coloured rocks will provide you that light caramelised flavour (toffee etc).

Have you used darker/brown crystals and would they impart compared to the clear

Have you used darker/brown crystals and would they impart compared to the clear
I've not used the rocks myself (I've just caramelised/inverted table sugar).

Darker crystals will impart a richer/nuttier/more bitter taste than the light ones. Largely, have a taste of them - that's the taste you'll get in the final product (minus the sweetness).

As far as I know lactose is a non fermentable sugar added to sweeten beers like milk stouts. Because lactose sugar is not converting into alcohol all the sweetness remains in the brew. Sugar drops or any other kind of sugar will be perfect to carbonate your beer.

Latest posts

Back