Lager eggy smell???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuo1981

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all

Got signs of life from my coopers Cerveza kit (krausen and co2 build up, airlock is pants, gonna swap it for blow off tube) but my question is when I release the pressure via **** airlock its smells like eggs. Is this normal? First lager attempt using starter from youngs lager yeast and Fermenting at around 16.5°c. Is it buggered or is this OK?

Cheers

Hi all

Got signs of life from my coopers Cerveza kit (krausen and co2 build up, airlock is pants, gonna swap it for blow off tube) but my question is when I release the pressure via **** airlock its smells like eggs. Is this normal? First lager attempt using starter from youngs lager yeast and Fermenting at around 16.5°c. Is it buggered or is this OK?

Cheers
Rotten egg (sulphur) is a normal smell in many lager yeasts during fermentation. It is often subtly detectable in a number of lagers in aroma and is often part of the style (hopefully not as strong as rotten eggs obviously!). Wouldn't worry

Lager yeasts often smell of rotten eggs as they produce sulphur compounds including H2S. Don't worry. just keep asking the wife if she's feeling Ok and whether she's eaten something a bit dodgy.
Always best to show a bit of sympathy and not complain about the smell. :laugh8:

i am pretty sure this is why lagers are typically lagered for 4-12+ weeks. they smell like a sewer until they have plenty of age.
some don't start smelling like ass until after 10 days in the primary just before your think you are in the clear for bottling/kegging.
to be fair a bit of sulphur is expected in lagers but i would love to figure out how to prevent it.

Your Coopers kit comes with a half ale half lager yeast (same as the AuPA lager kit). You could chuck that in as well and ferment lower than 16.5*C, perhaps down to 13*C. I happily managed 14*C with a packet of the Euro lager yeast and a packet of AuPA yeast, although the ale yeast had probably gone to sleep at that temperature.

i am pretty sure this is why lagers are typically lagered for 4-12+ weeks. they smell like a sewer until they have plenty of age.
some don't start smelling like ass until after 10 days in the primary just before your think you are in the clear for bottling/kegging.
to be fair a bit of sulphur is expected in lagers but i would love to figure out how to prevent it.
Been in primary for about 2 days now so a long way to go, planning to lager it for as long as possible. As its my first one it freaked me out a bit but glad it's ok. Is there any way to prevent it that anyone knows?

Your Coopers kit comes with a half ale half lager yeast (same as the AuPA lager kit). You could chuck that in as well and ferment lower than 16.5*C, perhaps down to 13*C. I happily managed 14*C with a packet of the Euro lager yeast and a packet of AuPA yeast, although the ale yeast had probably gone to sleep at that temperature.
Thanks Terry. I could have done that if I hadn't got bored yesterday and used the kit yeast to make my first cider attempt!! The bumpf for the yeast I found says it can go as low as 15 but I didn't want to risk it not kicking off. I'll bear your tip in mind for the next lager I try athumb..

It depends on the yeast; some give off no sulphur, some give off a little, some give off a lot.
Fingers crossed this is the type to give off a lot cos it reeked at one point. It's calmed down now thank god!

Back