Lager Fermentation question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm doing a lager kit with lager yeast for the first time using a fermentation chamber. later on.

The instructions say to pitch the yeast between 21°C and 24°C and then Ferment between 13°C and 15°C.

Is it as simple as pitching in the room temp wort and then moving it straight to the Fermentation chamber and letting the lower ambient temp in the chamber bring it down to temp or is it best to bring it down to incrementally over a few hours to allow the yeast to wake up a bit first?

i.e Set the chamber at 22°C and then drop it by a degree every hour or so?

I would pitch at room temp and move into the fermentation chamber. I suppose your total volume is 20 -23 litres, so it has considerable heat capacity and the internal fluid temperature can't drop too quickly. The heat transfer between a solid surface (FV wall) and surrounding air is normally a slow and inefficient process, though in this case "inefficient" is good as it won't stress the yeast. Another factor I noticed is that during the first day the fermentation released a lot of heat, even though I pitched my yeast (W34/70) at 12° C, and the temperature kept rising slowly to about 4° C above the surrounding air.
Note, I haven't used a controlled fermentation chamber, so my response is based on general physics and experience.

Pitch at, or a few degrees below, your fermentation temperature. Cooling a fermenting beer causes off flavours. Your initial fermentation will be slower, but the end results will be better.

Citations: Palmer, How To Brew

Back