Lager hops with a twist

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cestrian

Regular.
Reaction score
Definitely getting more in to my lagers at the moment. I seem to have burnt out with strong citrusy US pale ales. Always seem to have a hankering for something a bit simpler. So got a couple of brews planned for next week; steam beer and a kolsch. I've got a couple of hallertau/tettnang brews in the lager fridge, waiting to be bottled. Might try Motueka in the kolsch, but I'm looking for something a bit different. Any recommendations for unusual lager hops that have worked out?

Not unusual maybe but I started a thread like this recently, and my intention is to make a wa-iti lager due to the lime flavour it is meant to impart

Good shout on the New Zealand hops in a lager. Works that well that NZ Pilsner is actually a style now.

Good shout on the New Zealand hops in a lager. Works that well that NZ Pilsner is actually a style now.
Is it now?
I've been brewing my "Pacific Pilsner" for a couple of decades. Green Bullet is a cracking hop. Sticklebract was disappointing and Pacific Gem needs to be used with care as it can be overpowering and coarse. Hallertau Aroma works well, too. I think they call it Waketu now. Made up a batch with same malt profile but all Nelson Sauvin. It turned out nice, but tasted nothing like a lager.

Last edited:
I made a pseudo lager with EKG once. I had a lager that was late hopped with first gold that was nice. A number of the styrian hops are good for lagers too
Come to think of it, I made a Pilsner with English Fuggles. Had an early bottle and it was very promising; It must be about ready by now.

Hops tend to be a small part of lagers, and I've found playing around with hops in lagers tends to lead to hoppy lagers as opposed to a good pils/helles. I usually use small amounts of noble hops in bittering and flavour for balance and focus more on the malt balances and yeast. I guess it depends what you're going for though, as I love the malts and that crisp bitterness that comes with a pils.

Having said that, as others have mentioned, some English varieties work well. I've also had good lagers/pseudo lagers with fuggles as it gives a nice earthy taste.

Is it now?
I've been brewing my "Pacific Pilsner" for a couple of decades. Green Bullet is a cracking hop. Sticklebract was disappointing and Pacific Gem needs to be used with care as it can be overpowering and course. Hallertau Aroma works well, too. I think they call it Waketu now. Made up a batch with same malt profile but all Nelson Sauvin. It turned out nice, but tasted nothing like a lager.

Ahead of your time.

saaz and motueka would make a nice combo I think.

huell melon and mandarina bavaria are light ones that would go well in a lager too.

sladek is very good too, has a unique Nobel flavor.

@An Ankoù
I tried 'fug love' by tiny rebel once, a fuggles smash ,which was nice
Was that fugg life by TR? I've had that one, not sure if there's another called fug love. Fugg life was nice. I wrote to them to see if they'd give me the recipe but they wouldn't. They did say it does have some other English hops in.

Not unusual maybe but I started a thread like this recently, and my intention is to make a wa-iti lager due to the lime flavour it is meant to impart
My suggestion, too. I used wai-iti and wakatu to do this.

I've used a judicial amount of cascade in the past, in a wild rice lager.

My suggestion, too. I used wai-iti and wakatu to do this.

I've used a judicial amount of cascade in the past, in a wild rice lager.
I have just ordered some grain, some Northern brewer for bittering and 100g of Wa-iti to add probably 50/50 10 mins and flameout or split 20 mins, 10 mins flameout. Either way I will pop back in this thread once it's done.

Also having a bssh at using clarity ferm to make it lower gluten and Mrs Brewnaldo is convinced she doesnt want to have gluten anymore.

Was that fugg life by TR? I've had that one, not sure if there's another called fug love. Fugg life was nice. I wrote to them to see if they'd give me the recipe but they wouldn't. They did say it does have some other English hops in.

Ah, perhaps it was called fugg love. It was a long time ago when I had it

saaz and motueka would make a nice combo I think.

huell melon and mandarina bavaria are light ones that would go well in a lager too.

sladek is very good too, has a unique Nobel flavor.
I've got some huell melon. Might give it a try. Not heard many good reports about it though.

I did a wai-iti / motueka kolsch recently that turned out great, a real thirst quencher

Back