Lager kit Steam Beer style

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dannieeee

Reaction score
Hey guys, been doing wine and cider for a while now but recently progressed into beer, currently brewing mangrove jacks pink grapefruit which is due to be bottled sunday after 10 days in the FV.
Anyway moving on im thinking about my next brew, i currently don't have any way to chill large quantities of beer so i am looking at getting a lager kit steam style and then maybe dry hopping to achieve some sort of resiny aromatics? has anybody had any experience doing anything like this? also what kits hops would you recommend for something like this?
thanks guys

https://byo.com/article/california-common-style-profile-2/
There's a LME recipe on here that you could follow if you feel like a challenge? Not tried this exact one but they seem to be well thought out. It's a bit of a step up from a kit as you'd have to buy the ingredients separately and you'd need a stock pot to boil the lme (you can get away with only boiling half the LME), adding hops to the boil plus steeping the grains and cooling (which can probably be done in the sink) etc.

Your other (easier) option would be to follow the recipe but swap out the lme for light lager kit (with light DME or brew enhancer), make a hop tea with the Northern Brewer, steep the grains and ditch the kit yeast for something like CML Cali common

Thank you for your reply, I’m just after something easy going if I’m honest as I haven’t fully wrapped my head around boil timings and what they mean etc, not quite confident enough to try something like that just yet and I’m limited on equipment, I was thinking more on the lines of a cheap ish continental lager kit maybe switching out the yeast to some sort of ale yeast (maybe even using the trub left after my grapefruit is finished),
In short I’m after something easy with a kind of funky flavour to it so maybe a MJ saison kit would get me there

Hey guys, been doing wine and cider for a while now but recently progressed into beer, currently brewing mangrove jacks pink grapefruit which is due to be bottled sunday after 10 days in the FV.
Anyway moving on im thinking about my next brew, i currently don't have any way to chill large quantities of beer so i am looking at getting a lager kit steam style and then maybe dry hopping to achieve some sort of resiny aromatics? has anybody had any experience doing anything like this? also what kits hops would you recommend for something like this?
thanks guys
Festival 40 Pint Home Brew Beer Kit - US Steam Beer I've seen this one I'm thinking of

Maybe get a basic lager/pilsner kit and use some medium malt extract (or just light dme) and California Common yeast.

Crossmyloof have some good dry yeast selling cheap but last time I looked Cali common was out of stock.

Latest posts

Back